Canon EF 17-40mm f/2.8L

The old one or new one the new is the 16-35/2.8 I have not used this lens but have heard many reviews on it saying it's a incredible lens and much better than the 17-40/4L. So yeah, I would buy one if I had the promes I wanted first and after the 24-70 & 70-200/2.8's

Damn, you should really change the name of this thread if possible, got me excited :(

From what I've read and seen the only advantage of the 16-35 over the 17-40 is a wider aperture. Image quality at equal apertures and focal lengths show little if any advantage of one over the other.

They were both 16-35's. The original version wasn't as consistent in focusing as the newer version and wasn't as sharp in the corners from what I remember reading. If you need 2.8 the newer version is apparently the way to go. If not get the 17-40.

They were both 16-35's. The original version wasn't as consistent in focusing as the newer version and wasn't as sharp in the corners from what I remember reading. If you need 2.8 the newer version is apparently the way to go. If not get the 17-40.
It looks like the mark II was a lot better all around: Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L USM Lens - Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM Lens Comparison - ISO 12233 Resolution Chart Results

Yep. I love my 16-35 f2.8LII. The 17-40 is a nice piece of glass, but I was not willing to compromise speed for cost on this one. If cost is the issue, I would look at the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. Fast, great optics, cheaper plastic build and noisy motor and only for crop sensor but IQ wise I found it to rival the 17-40 from Canon.

If money is not the issue, 16-35 f2.8LII. It is hard to put down.

Most reactions

Back