Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens

swmocity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
anyone have this lens or one similar to it..i have heard good things about it...thinking about buying one...its covers a nice range...one more question 28-135, how much zoom with that be...ex p&s cameras have 5x,7x...kind of heard to explain 28-135 = what zoom in "x" terms

It doesn't work like that.

2x, 3x, etc. only refers to:

Telephoto or "zoomed in" (highest mm number)
divided by
Widest angle (lowest mm number)

An 18-55mm is just a tiny decimal amount over 3x zoom, but serves a completely different purpose than a 70-200mm zoom which is "only 2.8x zoom".

To be honest though, I'm not too sure you'd want a 28-135 if you're not using a 5D. It's just kind of an awkward range on a crop sensor, not wide at all, but not "zoomed in" enough to be used at a long distance.

It doesn't work like that.

2x, 3x, etc. only refers to:

Telephoto or "zoomed in" (highest mm number)
divided by
Widest angle (lowest mm number)

An 18-55mm is just a tiny decimal amount over 3x zoom, but serves a completely different purpose than a 70-200mm zoom which is "only 2.8x zoom".

To be honest though, I'm not too sure you'd want a 28-135 if you're not using a 5D. It's just kind of an awkward range on a crop sensor, not wide at all, but not "zoomed in" enough to be used at a long distance.

so what will be a good mid range lens for the xt..i have the 18-55 then the 75-300...i need something in between those ranges

What do you mean?

There's almost no gap in between.
lol...u know what i mean! the 18-55 is not enough zoom...i want like a good walk around lens with more zoom than the 18-55, but not as much as the 75-300

not that i re-read it, i sure didnt make since lol..oh well

Well, the 28-135 goes for $520-ish, yes?

If you could be persuaded, I think the Sigma 18-125 looks pretty good, AND it has IS and USM (although called differently by Sigma) although you'd want to think about the overlap there. There's also a Sigma 18-200 but I understand it to be pretty marginal.

Here's a link:
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3342&navigator=6

looks nice but $620..thats alot

Canon makes the EF-S 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS USM which is made specifically for crop sensors and gives you the same frame filling ability as a 27.2-136 on a full frame. Of course the viewing angles will be a little wider but the effective zooming ability is the same. It covers the gap you have and is optically superior to the 18-55 kit lens. It also has the ultrasonic motor for fast af and IS for steadying your handshake. Runs $500 at b&h new and $400 used. The only down side is that if you do get into a fullframe camera, this lens will be of no use as it is specifically designed to work with the crop sensors.

canon sells the 28-135 with the 40D as a kit lens so its not an unpopular lens for crop sensors reg...

I got the 28-135 w/ my 40D. I bet I have used it no more than 3 times. Not nearly wide enough for a walk around, and the build quality is typical Canon low end crap IMHO. Its sad that You have to spend a grand to get a greatly built Canon lens, when 3rd parties are built like bricks at half the price. I know build quality isn't everything, but it means a lot to me personally.

Anyway, back to 28-135....check ebay and the forum classifieds. many 40D kit buyers are dumping them. They are basically still new. You may be able to pick one up cheaper than from an online store. I am hanging on to mine to sell with my XTi.

Derrick

I have the Sigma 18-200. It is a great walk around lens. I don't know why anyone would call this a "marginal" lens. It has pretty good reviews and Popular Photography Mag rated the IQ excellent. It's not "L" glass, but I get good sharp images with mine and would recommend it.

I have the Sigma 18-200. It is a great walk around lens. I don't know why anyone would call this a "marginal" lens. It has pretty good reviews and Popular Photography Mag rated the IQ excellent. It's not "L" glass, but I get good sharp images with mine and would recommend it.
can u post some pics from it

Most reactions

Back