canon ef 50mm 1.8

rom4n301

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ive been wanting to buy this lens for some time now, and as i recall it used to be $89 but the other day, i was about to get it at bh.. and the price was $115... WHAT THE HELL.. whats up with the price raise????

Forget that one, save up and buy the 50mm F1.4. :D

haha i would but currently im also saving up to buy an ef 70-200.. im trying to sell my EF-S IS 18-55, but no one wants it besides some annoying scammer on craigslist

Ya, 18-55mm lenses are hard to move.

ya I noticed the price raise too... it SUCKS! I made a "wanted" thread on here hoping someone would be upgrading form the 1.8 to the 1.4 and would sell it for cheap haha

=/ but still.. whats up with the price raise..and now canon is charging for censor cleaning too.. there starting to cheap out

ya I noticed the price raise too... it SUCKS! I made a "wanted" thread on here hoping someone would be upgrading form the 1.8 to the 1.4 and would sell it for cheap haha
yea.. ima prob do the same.. maybe try keh or the used store on bh.. or just search endlessly on ebay

I think that is called inflation. ;)

On top of that, currency exchange rate may also be a factor. (plus many others)

I have noticed this also. When I was in search a few months back for a DSLR I was sure to price out everything I wanted and the highest I saw it for was $90 new. It's still a small price to pay for quality of the lens but the increase caught me off guard. I'll be ordering mine next week.

It's mostly because the dollar (both USD and CAD) has fallen compared the the Yen. Actually, the Yen is getting stronger. And these lenses are made in Japan (the Japanese have fantastic optics). All lenses and those damned oddly shaped batteries have gone up in price very quickly.

I agree with Mike. The 50mm f/1.4 has a better build quality (metal bracket, 'nuff said; more aperture blades too), and nicer bokeh wide-open. And it's sharper too. IMO, it's worth the extra money (I know plenty will disagree though).

..and now canon is charging for censor cleaning too.. there starting to cheap out
I'm pretty sure they (and everyone else) have always charged for that.

Yup. The good news is that now you have even more (less valuable) money than you ever had before! :lol:

It's mostly because the dollar (both USD and CAD) has fallen compared the the Yen. Actually, the Yen is getting stronger. And these lenses are made in Japan (the Japanese have fantastic optics). All lenses and those damned oddly shaped batteries have gone up in price very quickly.

I agree with Mike. The 50mm f/1.4 has a better build quality (metal bracket, 'nuff said; more aperture blades too), and nicer bokeh wide-open. And it's sharper too. IMO, it's worth the extra money (I know plenty will disagree though).

Hey didnt you have a 30D before? haha looks like you sold it from your sig.

I would love the Mark I 50mm 1.8 that one was metal, there are a couple on E-bay... just dont know of the quality

..and now canon is charging for censor cleaning too.. there starting to cheap out
I'm pretty sure they (and everyone else) have always charged for that.

Yup. The good news is that now you have even more (less valuable) money than you ever had before! :lol:

nah, i always got my censor cleaned for free at canon.. but i walked in the other day and they had a huge sign sayin they charge like 35 per cleaning

I've never used the 1.8, but everything I've read about it makes me glad that I skipped it and went straight to the 1.4.

(This is all hearsay...)
It has crappy build quality, pain in the ass to manual focus, bad bokeh, noisy, and just might actually fall apart in your hands.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back