CANON EOS-1D X MARK II

I am a canon 1dx fan all the way. But im not sure this has the d5 beat. I have the 1dx and I dont think they improve it that much to upgrade. But I will have to wait to make final judgement.
I am actually a bit surprised there isnt a big Hurra in this forum over the arrival of this camera.

I am surprised you are surprised. How many of us do you think can afford this? At some point long ago, much of this stuff became WENIS contests.
Actually the D5 made quite the waves on the other side of this forum and just like here very few can actually afford it.
I believe any technology that manufacturer puts in their top cameras will slowly trickle down to the more regular models so just for that I think its always exciting to see top models.

If you havent ever played with any Sony/Nikon FF raw files, I suggest you give it a try. It might change your tune. Even in the most properly exposed image one could ever properly expose in a single capture.
Before I purchased my 1dx I borrowed my cousins D4 and D750 for 3 weeks and tested them out in the tune of 14k shots, and was very impressed. Then I borrowed a friends 1dx and within 2 days purchased the 1dx. The focus system in the 1dx was better especially at birds coming straight on. Now I used a prime lens on both bodies to try and make it as equal as possible. This all came about when I was getting frustrated with my 7dm2 performance in low light. The 7dm2 is great in good light but in low light it was softer then I liked so the search was on. From my understanding and I could be wrong as I am not a Nikon spec watcher but I dont think the D4 uses a sony sensor? So maybe I havent trully tested a sony sensor. I think both Nikon and Canon are great so I really dont think you can go wrong with either.

You know what I like about it? Now the venerable 1D mkIV will be in my price range!!!!!! ;)

I am a canon 1dx fan all the way. But im not sure this has the d5 beat. I have the 1dx and I dont think they improve it that much to upgrade. But I will have to wait to make final judgement.
I am actually a bit surprised there isnt a big Hurra in this forum over the arrival of this camera.

I am surprised you are surprised. How many of us do you think can afford this? At some point long ago, much of this stuff became WENIS contests.
Actually the D5 made quite the waves on the other side of this forum and just like here very few can actually afford it.
I believe any technology that manufacturer puts in their top cameras will slowly trickle down to the more regular models so just for that I think its always exciting to see top models.

You win. I haven't figured out what 'quite the waves' means yet. It's a little tough for me to understand all the hype when I see sooooo many good/great/wonderful/nice images made with all kinds of cameras on Flickr and Facebook and TPF and wherever; prior to 2016, 2015, 2014..... It also doesn't help when I am out and about with fellow photographers and see what the majority of them are using (with the lenses that many of them have, I'm guessing they could afford to switch every time something new comes out). Hopefully, I will be able to report back when I see that they care enough to switch systems.

I need to learn to ignore the Wenis contests.

D500 shares a lot of the same tech.

D500 shares a lot of the same tech.
Well I am pretty sure we will see some of the stuff put into the D500 in the D7300 and replacement of the D750
I cant wait to see what it will be.

You win. I haven't figured out what 'quite the waves' means yet. It's a little tough for me to understand all the hype when I see sooooo many good/great/wonderful/nice images made with all kinds of cameras on Flickr and Facebook and TPF and wherever; prior to 2016, 2015, 2014..... It also doesn't help when I am out and about with fellow photographers and see what the majority of them are using (with the lenses that many of them have, I'm guessing they could afford to switch every time something new comes out). Hopefully, I will be able to report back when I see that they care enough to switch systems.

Well Jaca I guess you and I share some and some other things see in a different way.
We both agree that its the photographer and not the camera that creates good images but I admit it is also my weakness that I am a total gear head, new equipment excites me, whether I will get it or not I love new gear, I can read reviews on cameras I will never buy or dream on gear I will not need.
I can get excited over a Canon camera I will never even touch because I cant afford it and I am a Nikon guy :)
Ok maybe I'm weird LOL maybe not

Well Jaca I guess you and I share some and some other things see in a different way.
We both agree that its the photographer and not the camera that creates good images but I admit it is also my weakness that I am a total gear head, new equipment excites me, whether I will get it or not I love new gear, I can read reviews on cameras I will never buy or dream on gear I will not need.
I can get excited over a Canon camera I will never even touch because I cant afford it and I am a Nikon guy :)
Oh and BTW I have no idea who is or what is Wenis Contest

I wasn't so excited about camera gears anymore. I may read about some new gears news here and there. I will for sure read a lot more when I am in the market of getting new or replacing old gears. I think the more I learn, the less I care. I think that all started back when I saw others were able to produce GREAT images with their lower end DSLR. (i.e. Nikon D50 or Canon XT vs my Canon 40D back then)

I am sure someone out there (maybe a lot of them) happy to see the new 1DX II.

Well ... maybe part of me is getting older :D

It's a joke compared to the D5. It doesnt even seem that improved over the 1Dx. But it was nice of them to create a bulky $600 wireless device to tranfer files with...
Have you used either camera ?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I don't read about any cameras, I go out and shoot them to see what they are like
I couldnt agree more. I dont care what the stats are all I care about is what fits my needs.

Actually, I am a bit of a nerd with some things too. I did decent research when I bought my wife her/our first dslr; and it's why I often mention hand size, shape, menu, ergonomics, etc. are important things to consider as well. My wife is particular and if the shoes do not feel right after 5 minutes - then doggone, she's not going to wear them again EVER! PERIOD! :)

I RTFM prior to plugging in or turning on most gadgets (I knew some things about the 7dmii before getting it in my hands).
So we are probably more alike than you think ;).

My 17 year old son is in a photography class now. I don't want him or any newbie to think there is a need for the best or latest, in order to create success. It's really my angle on some of this stuff and offer it up in opposition. Sometimes too much. I need to get out and shoot more.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back