canon eos 500d

natmiller84

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have just been bought a canon eos 500d. Any advice on any lenses to buy, I am a complete novice photographer and have never owned a dslr before! I am interested initially in buying a lens for 'everyday' use but will hopefully like to progress to landscape shots and nature. Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Sigma 17-50mm f2.8. Good walk around lens and has a wide angle that would work for landscape. Good sharpness but not cheap. This would set you back about $600 at least. Tamron makes a similar 17-50 f2.8 lens that cost about $400. Not quite as nice but good for a novice. I contemplated buying one of these for a while. But the kit lens that came with your camera is alright to get started with. Build is cheap but the glass is okay and it will take good pictures. If you want to get into landscape I would suggest picking up a tripod. You could order one online or pick one up at bestbuy or something. I just use an old sunpak. Not a great tripod but very heavy to prevent shaking during use.

A lot of landscape photographers don't use wide angle lenses. Instead they use medium focal lengths and take several shots to make a panorama.

Nature is an extremely broad category and to cover it all would require a suite of lenses from specialized macro closeup lenses to expensive ($5000 and up) long focal length prime lenses.

everyday lens - key in OP's post.

That Tamron lens that diskojoe brought up is a great lens for "everyday" duty and landscapes as well.
I have this lens and keep it on my old crop body xti that I take with me kayaking.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back