Canon EOS 5D Mark II 21.1 MP Digital SLR Camera - Black (Kit w/ EF L USM 24-70mm Lens

Ballistics said:
to help ease the high strung members here.

If high strung = very careful when considering spending thousands of dollars via an anonymous online forum, with a brand new member who posts confusing pictures that were shot in completely different locales.....guilty. Give me a break.

Your move, OP. How 'bout that picture?

Its pretty easy to get high strung over high dollar items from anonymous people. but the simplest answer is to just not buy anything from anyone you don't know that you cant pick up and inspect in person. OP, the best way to assuage fear as a new forum member selling something is to get involved in the forum. I don't think its completely unfair for people to be at least a little suspicious of a sale like that when a members opening posts are selling a high end camera and lens. there HAVE been a few minor issues here before. With that being said, It might behoove you to go the extra mile and post some other pics just so we can see its really equipment that you have in your possession, and it would greatly help your post here as a seller. just sayin'

In to see a picture with his screen name written on a piece of paper... That should be interesting. :lol:

Ballistics said:
There's nothing unbelievable here.
The camera is $2000 and the backdrop can belong to just about anyone in the world, especially if he went to a photographer friend to take a picture of his gear.
Seems like many members here are extremely cynical and are very off-putting to new members.

Give the guy the opportunity to prove himself trust worthy and let's show a little common courtesy.

OP - like James said - put your handle on a piece of paper with the date and time and photograph it next to everything you have shown to help ease the high strung members here.

Why don't you buy his **** then if it's such a good deal and are concerned with offending a member with no other purpose then to "sell gear" that he is uninterested in?

Do you trust any old shmuck that posts on the Internet? Good golly.

Ask James about his recent experience with a buy & sell scam on this forum.

Ballistics said:
The camera is $2000 and the backdrop can belong to just about anyone in the world, especially if he went to a photographer friend to take a picture of his gear.
Seems like many members here are extremely cynical and are very off-putting to new members.

Give the guy the opportunity to prove himself trust worthy and let's show a little common courtesy.

OP - like James said - put your handle on a piece of paper with the date and time and photograph it next to everything you have shown to help ease the high strung members here.

Why don't you buy his **** then if it's such a good deal and are concerned with offending a member with no other purpose then to "sell gear" that he is uninterested in?

I would have taken you for someone who actually read posts, Tyler.
Where did any of that come from?

Ballistics said:

He's got 'photos' of the camera with three different boxes, and two different lenses, and you would feel totally safe and secure sending money his way for a $2,000 camera?

I've read the posts. I don't get the impression that this guy is after anything other than money. If he wants to post an image of the 5D Mark II, with the 24-70, AND his name and the date on a piece of paper... We'd be going somewhere. Otherwise, this is just as bad as the guy selling a D300s and posting photos of a D7000.

It's really easy for someone to say "Yeah, you should buy the OP's gear. Seems legit." When you have no intention of buying it in the first place. If I'm the concerned buyer, I'm going to need more to go on then images pulled off of google.

Normally I would give the OP the benefit of the doubt, but I thought this was a little strange as well, who buys someone a $3k camera as a gift for someone who has no interest in photography?

I stumbled onto ebay and found this ad which expires tomorrow, check out the ad's main picture, it is EXACTLY the same as the OP's 2nd picture, and the ebay seller names (as he mentioned himself) do NOT match. I think anyone would be crazy to think this is anything but a scam now.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II 21.1 MP Digital SLR Camera - Black (Kit w/ EF L IS USM... 13803105414 | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
And now that I look closer at the ebay ad, the seller only has 1 positive feedback, and one bid on the camera which I can only assume is by a friend of his. This whole thing, the ebay ad and this post, just stink to high hell.

Normally I would give the OP the benefit of the doubt, but I thought this was a little strange as well, who buys someone a $3k camera as a gift for someone who has no interest in photography?

I stumbled onto ebay and found this ad which expires tomorrow, check out the ad's main picture, it is EXACTLY the same as the OP's 2nd picture, and the ebay seller names (as he mentioned himself) do NOT match. I think anyone would be crazy to think this is anything but a scam now.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II 21.1 MP Digital SLR Camera - Black (Kit w/ EF L IS USM... 13803105414 | eBay

Yup! Also found that picture if you google "canon 5d mark ii for sale"

It's on pages 3 and 4
https://www.google.com/search?q=can...cp.r_qf.&fp=442d5aff17364e4a&biw=1280&bih=879

Yup! Also found that picture if you google "canon 5d mark ii for sale"

It's on pages 3 and 4
https://www.google.com/search?q=canon+5d+mark+ii&aq=1&sugexp=chrome,mod%3D14&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&authuser=0&ei=tS8hUMOtKKWd8AG4wID4AQ&biw=1280&bih=879&sei=ty8hUIGAIoq98AHy4ICoAQ#um=1&hl=en&safe=off&authuser=0&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=canon+5d+mark+ii+for+sale&oq=canon+5d+mark+ii+for+sale&gs_l=img.12...0.0.4.199257.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0...1c.WxtbeC4NnmA&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=442d5aff17364e4a&biw=1280&bih=879

Oh jeez, ridiculous. I hope we're wrong for the seller's sake, but I think we may have just blown the top off this case. ;) I flagged the ebay ad for review as well, it's hard to believe either is real and I'd hate to see someone lose $3k, I'll let ebay decide on that one.

Another scammer? I'm not looking to buy or sell anything but sometimes it's amusing to watch these guys at work. All three pictures have different lighting, different boxes, different lenses, not to mention different resolutions. In addition, I downloaded all three images and saw that one was named "egg.jpg" while the others were named "cam2" and "cam3".

Now comes the coup de grace(I think). After doing a Google image-based search on the first picture, I found dozens of results as well as pictures belonging to two shady-looking suppliers - hao-ways.com and worthsupplier.com(ironic, isn't it). After doing a Google image-based search on the second image, I found hundreds of images in the image search, meaning the picture must have been around for a while. I can see the same sized image appear twice in the "past week" search. The last image is the real killer here. It is on flickr, and was taken by somebody named Ibrahim al-Fawzan, who did a pretty good job considering it was taken on a PowerShot G11. The best part? It was taken on... April 10, 2010. Two years ago. Seems awfully contradictory with this scammer's story. What's more is that none of these images are particularly easy to find on Google, which makes the scammer accusation

Don't waste your time on this idiot, all he's after is your 2,800 dollars and your pride.

He's got 'photos' of the camera with three different boxes, and two different lenses, and you would feel totally safe and secure sending money his way for a $2,000 camera?

I've read the posts. I don't get the impression that this guy is after anything other than money. If he wants to post an image of the 5D Mark II, with the 24-70, AND his name and the date on a piece of paper... We'd be going somewhere. Otherwise, this is just as bad as the guy selling a D300s and posting photos of a D7000.

It's really easy for someone to say "Yeah, you should buy the OP's gear. Seems legit." When you have no intention of buying it in the first place. If I'm the concerned buyer, I'm going to need more to go on then images pulled off of google.

Bah! - I didn't say any of this you put in both posts lol. I never said it was safe, I never said he wasn't a scammer, I also never that it was a good deal lol.

My main point is that people are picking out things in the images as if they are tell-tale signs that he's a scammer. Could he be a scammer? 100%
Could he not be? Sure. Having different lighting and a backdrop could mean anything. He could have had the picture taken by someone else one time, had a picture taken with his phone another time etc. Or he didn't have another camera to take a picture and just used online images. That's all I'm saying. Not trying to drop anyone's guard here.

My main point is that people are picking out things in the images as if they are tell-tale signs that he's a scammer. Could he be a scammer? 100%
Could he not be? Sure. Having different lighting and a backdrop could mean anything. He could have had the picture taken by someone else one time, had a picture taken with his phone another time etc. That's all I'm saying.

Yeah, you're totally right.

Could he not be a scammer? Sure.

Has he done anything so far in this thread to disprove that he's a scammer? Nope.

Even if he did have the picture taken by someone else, how do you explain the different boxes and different lenses?

Could he not be? Sure. Having different lighting and a backdrop could mean anything. He could have had the picture taken by someone else one time, had a picture taken with his phone another time etc. That's all I'm saying.

Yeah, you're totally right.

Could he not be a scammer? Sure.

Has he done anything so far in this thread to disprove that he's a scammer? Nope.

Even if he did have the picture taken by someone else, how do you explain the different boxes and different lenses?

I re-edited my post - I said he could have just grabbed pics off the internet because he didn't have another camera. Possibilities are endless.
Furthermore, it could be a stolen camera as well.

I think the biggest point here is that the TPF detective team has thwarted another potential scam. IF this really is legit, I think the OP should definitely address the issues people have listed as well as take a new photo with his name in it. Not sure I see that happening though. If your reading this snapshot3000, prove the skeptics wrong.

Most reactions

Back