Canon EOS 6D or Sony Alpha 7R or 7S?

cupcake_nancy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys,
hopefully someone can help me with the decision I'm struggling with...

I' going on a round the world trip come November and am looking for a professional camera. I'll be showcasing my photography on the web. I'm an amateur / enthusiast and have so far owned a Sony Alpha SLR camera which I was quite happy about but initially I wanted to replace it with either a Canon EOS 70D or Canon 6D. After a lot of research I decided to go for the Canon 6D. In the meantime, I have held it in my hands and found it quite big and bulky. I'm only going to be taking a 45l backpack (i know...it's mad!) so the camera will be taking up a lot of space. Needless to say...having to carry the camera wherever I go could be quite annoying. So I started looking into alternatives and the Sony Alpha 7R or 7S caught my eye. It's incredibly light weight and small - so perfect for long travel. However, do the Canon 6D and the Sony Alpha 7R/S compare at all? Which one would you go for and why? Can the Sony shoot good professional photos? I'm a bit hesitant as it is not an SLR camera but apparently the image quality is amazing. I also would have gone for Canon's ef 24-105 l & the 50ef lense. What would be the equivalent for the Sony, please? It seems they currently only have 4 or 5 lenses available...

If the Canon is really the much better camera, I would consider buying a bigger backpack and bite the bullet and carry the 'brick'.

But if the Sony compares to it, I think my decision is made. But which Sony to go for? The R or the S? I'll be shooting landscape mainly and sometimes portrait. Photography will be mainly at day-time.

Thank you for your help!!

I have some professional photographer friends that have switched from the 6d to the a7r and use the metabones adapter so they can still use canon lenses. Autofocus will be slower with the adapter, but if you're shooting landscapes it won't really matter. The image quality from what I've seen is amazing.

I have some professional photographer friends that have switched from the 6d to the a7r and use the metabones adapter so they can still use canon lenses. Autofocus will be slower with the adapter, but if you're shooting landscapes it won't really matter. The image quality from what I've seen is amazing.

Thank you for the reply:) do you happen to know which camera is better? The alpha 7s or 7R? I think the 7S is more expensive but not necessarily better?

What's your end product going to be? Photos on the web? It seems like any one of the three would be good. If you have weigh/size constraints, I'd nix the 6D and do one of the Sonys. Which one will be up to you.. Look at the features of each, compare, and pick the one that works for your needs. Do take into consideration battery life, as well. I think the 6D would be a bit longer in this arena, but not sure?

What's your end product going to be? Photos on the web? It seems like any one of the three would be good. If you have weigh/size constraints, I'd nix the 6D and do one of the Sonys. Which one will be up to you.. Look at the features of each, compare, and pick the one that works for your needs. Do take into consideration battery life, as well. I think the 6D would be a bit longer in this arena, but not sure?

Hi there, yeah battery life of the Sony does not compare to the canon at all. I think it is reduced by half the time or even more. This is worrying as i may be out for days without possibility of charging. Endoroduct: photography uploaded onto website- mainly landscape but also everyday life, animal photography. I'm finding it hard to decide between the s or r. The s has a sensor of 12.2 whereas the r 36.4. The s is supposedly amazing in low light...

The R will probably have better overall picture quality and the S will have much better low light performance.

The R will probably have better overall picture quality and the S will have much better low light performance.

pretty much this. The people I know are using the a7r. The reviews I have seen for the 7s look great for shooting at night, which tempts me, but at 12mp I doubt you could print very large, kinda a deal breaker.

pretty much this. The people I know are using the a7r. The reviews I have seen for the 7s look great for shooting at night, which tempts me, but at 12mp I doubt you could print very large, kinda a deal breaker.

Thank you! Just seen your photos. They are amazing!! :)

which lenses would you recommend for the Sony Alpha 7R for travel photography please? :) I think I'd be tempted to invest in the 'native' Sony Carl Zeiss lenses considering it'll be my first full-frame...I might aswell. Plus Sony promised to release a wide range of lenses as of next year.

It's the photographer not the camera. The a7s does present a good argument as a travel camera. If money was no object, I'd have one as a second system just for traveling and low light stuff

Whats wrong with the A7, the A7R you will need a lot of storage for your photos + the A7 has fast auto focus, I only use manual focus lenses on my A7, I would get the 35mm And 55mm and A7

Tough call....one has a TON of autofocusing lenses and accessories available for it, right NOW, today, all across the world, but it's a Canon. The other has basically what is it? Five lenses available that autofocus and fit the camera natively, with promises of more lenses and maybe some accessories, someday. And it's a Sony.

I am only half-kidding here.

Six of one, half dozen of the other. I'm with gsgary though...the A7 is the one you'd probably want; Has the better files size, 24 megapixels, and the electronic first curtain shutter for lower vibration at typical tripod-mounted speeds for landscape work and other stuff off a 'pod, and has better focusing system. The 36MP A7r has a mechanical first curtain shutter, and is one of the LOUDEST cameras you can buy, in decibels. It SLAMS the shutter closed, then opens it, then CLOSES it, to make exposures in live view....OMG....what an idiotic engineering decision SOny made on the A7r... the thing has big vibration issues at slower speeds! The A7 has an all-electronic first curtain, so no slam close-slam open-slam closed.

Nikon is doing the same thing with the new D810: the first curtain is now electronic, so the D810 has 1) one of the quietest shutters around and 2) can get away with slower speed shots that have less vibration because the shutter does not slam closed/slam open/then slam closed....that is just stupid.

That sony 55mm lens gary mentions is not good. It's not even very good, it is fricking superb. OMG--I saw a bunch of pics from it, and was blown away, then looked at the MTF charts....OMG... it's a world-class lens.

I don't know much about the Sony. I imagine it's great, but the 6d is a great camera also, fantastic at hi iso. I'm on hols at moment and a guy eating near me had an a7r. With the kit lens attached its not small. For me I'd sacrifice the little bit in size for the focus system, optical viewfinder, better battery and proper continuous autofocus

• Whats wrong with the A7, the A7R you will need a lot of storage for your photos + the A7 has fast auto focus, I only use manual focus lenses on my A7, I would get the 35mm And 55mm and A7
Hi there to be honest so far i was told the A7R would be the best all-round camera- hence why i mentioned the A7r and A7S- of course im considering the a7 too. I basically need a good travel camera. Travel means a good mix of portrait, landscape etc. if there are other cameras out there e.g. Fuji or olympus or panasonic i would consider it too.

The arguments listed for the A7 sounds pretty good to me.

and the two lenses you mentioned are great :) so no need to get the 24-70 then? Someone else once suggested this should be a must for travel photography especially for landscape. Lol.

Last edited:
Travel camera? Does that mean a small, light body, with HUGE, full-sized lenses on it? Like an A7 or A7r?

And no, 55mm lens is no substiutute for any other lens that has a zoom function; it is a narrowish angle of view, single focal length lens, designed for a semi-selective, but NOT quite telephoto view. Many 50mm lenses are really about 48.5mm, and a 55mm lens is decidedly "tighter" than a 50 in angle of view. Might not seem like it, but there is an actual reason the 55mm length has been used by Nikon for 50 years, and is gaining popularity in just the past year with other manufacturer's having released ALL-NEW 55mm lens designs.

Read the A7 A7r review written after MONTHS of actual use and testing--not the garbage written by fanboys after a day or two of ownership...Sony A7 and A7r Review | Sans Mirror — mirrorless, interchangeable lens cameras | Thom Hogan

Check out Thom's other reviews too. If you mean "travel camera" as being light, and small, with SMALL LENSES too, then Olympus is what you want. If you want the highest possible technical image quality, you want a Nikon. No camera or brand is perfect, and some that are good have "issues" with software, or with being under-spec'd and priced rather high, or being five years out of date and behind the times, despite being made "today", but using sensors designed in 2007 or 2008...

• Whats wrong with the A7, the A7R you will need a lot of storage for your photos + the A7 has fast auto focus, I only use manual focus lenses on my A7, I would get the 35mm And 55mm and A7
Hi there to be honest so far i was told the A7R would be the best all-round camera- hence why i mentioned the A7r and A7S- of course im considering the a7 too. I basically need a good travel camera. Travel means a good mix of portrait, landscape etc. if there are other cameras out there e.g. Fuji or olympus or panasonic i would consider it too.

The arguments listed for the A7 sounds pretty good to me.

and the two lenses you mentioned are great :) so no need to get the 24-70 then? Someone else once suggested this should be a must for travel photography especially for landscape. Lol.
The F4 zoom is very good, much better than the kit lens

Most reactions

New Topics

Back