Canon EOS 7D?

RacingLine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am currently using an EOS 450D but am wanting to upgrade as I feel I have outgrown this body. I mainly shoot motorsport events and am seriously considering replacing with the EOS 7D as this looks perfect for my needs. I am open to any suggestions and advice that you all may have to help me with this.

RaceLine?!?
What kind of racing are you shooting?
I got a 7D for my wife & the bench my MarkII after the money shoots for weddings. 7D is super fast & great quality. What are you shooting with now?

I have a 7D and I've been really happy with it. I bought it originally for weddings, and I do still use it for them as a secondary camera along with my 5D Mark II. I've shot a couple of college football games with the 7D and it's worked well. It's high speed shooting is awesome for sports. I bought the 2x lens extender for the 70-200. It worked well for the extra zoom...although I did notice a small difference in sharpness. I suppose whenever you put any extra glass there you are going to notice that. I didn't play around with it that much though, so the 2X extender may be better at different apertures.

I went from a 450D to a 7D and totally loved it. Great camera, specially if you are shooting sports. I have since also bought a 5D2 which I use for concerts, although the 7D still gets some mileage when shooting from the soundboard further back where the crop factor comes in handy.

It's a really nice upgrade, no hesitation needed.

Like Twinky I also recently made the upgrade, though an even bigger jump from me on the 400D all the way to the 7D and certainly for action based photography its a fantastic move. The camera is bigger, but not too bad, and whilst many of its functions can seem complex at first its really mostly a case of reading through the manual a few times and finding where all the normal functions are in the slightly new interface. After that many of the new bells and whistle addons can be disabled if you shoot in RAW mode. The AF is also a different beast, more complex than before, but allowing for much finer control over its function and much of this, again, you can pick up fairly quickly with regular use.

I went from a Rebel XT to the 7D LOL....now that was a BIG jump! :)

I would also highly recommend the hand grip too. It holds an extra battery and you can put a small strap on the side for your hand to go it. I don't run my camera without it.

I went from a Rebel XS to a 7D then added a 5Dc then sold the 5Dc for a 5DII.

You will not regret the upgrade. 7D is stellar.

Hi everyone, thanks for all the great responses. Well I took the plunge and went for the 7D and went to a drifting event at the weekend and must say that I am extremely pleased that I went for it. I love the bigger size and weight of the camera, it just feels better. And the speed, wow :) the shots that I got this weekend are the best I have ever taken and I an so pleased I did the upgrade :)

Thanks again everyone :)

You will be pleased with the 7d. I went from a 350d to the 7d. Had contemplated the 60. The only regret was when I wrote the cheque out but that was forgotten as soon as I picked the camera up after paying for it. :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back