Canon EOS Rebel T3i/T4i vs. Sony SLT A-57

TehYoyo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can I get opinions on which camera you guys would get?

I'm leaning towards the Sony for the 60 fps 1080p video and the 10fps (for ~22 images!) continuous shooting.

Note:
Please don't link me to the Snapsort page. I can do that myself.
Please don't say "hurr-durr just do a search noob". I've searched. If you search and find a relevant thread, just post the link. My apologies.

Thanks!

What's your priority? Videos or photos?
If you want sports and action photography go for sony, for calm and subtle users Canon is better!
Also check Pentax K-5 and K-30, plus Nikon D7000 and D90.

If you can live with the evf the Sony seems to be the best in the class from many things i have read. It is also a nice camera to hold. Canon accessories are a little easier to get (at least where I live)

Last edited:
Hi TehYoyo - I was a T2i owner and I've shot with the T4i, but I'm recommending the A57 these days - especially for video. I don't know why Canon has failed to add progressive 60fps to their cameras (to include their top of the line cinema cameras), but it's a real problem for people who want to shoot action and slow mo.

The T3iT4i's articulated LCD is very nice (the T4i's touch screen especially so) - but it's not enough to make up for the lack of 60p (or the A57's blazing fast still image frame rate).

And right now the Sony is $648 with the kit lens, while the T4i is $648 body only. For still shooters who are at all interested in video, I recommend the A57 at this price point.

Best of the holy-days to you and yours,

Bill

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
A57 for sure. It also has In Body AF and Image Stabilization so your lenses will be cheaper.

Sorry everyone - I got caught up in Christmas and couldn't find time to come back to this. Thanks for the replies, however.
What's your priority? Videos or photos?
If you want sports and action photography go for sony, for calm and subtle users Canon is better!
Also check Pentax K-5 and K-30, plus Nikon D7000 and D90.

Videos and photos - most dSLRs offer 1080p with at least 24p so that's a bare minimum. The 60 fps is a nice kicker.

The cameras you mentioned are out of budget. :(
If you can live with the evf the Sony seems to be the best in the class from many things i have read. It is also a nice camera to hold. Canon accessories are a little easier to get (at least where I live)
I'm in the US, so everything is pretty easy to come by. Also, I get a lot of accessories from sketchy Chinese/Hong Kong retailers. Works fine, though. EVF isn't that bad, me thinks. It should be nice for nighttime. I think (haven't tested it b/c I could only use it w/in a 1 foot radius of the Best Buy stand, although it makes sense) that you could use it sort of as night-vision by using the simulated exposure viewing mode.
Hi TehYoyo - I was a T2i owner and I've shot with the T4i, but I'm recommending the A57 these days - especially for video. I don't know why Canon has failed to add progressive 60fps to their cameras (to include their top of the line cinema cameras), but it's a real problem for people who want to shoot action and slow mo.

The T3iT4i's articulated LCD is very nice (the T4i's touch screen especially so) - but it's not enough to make up for the lack of 60p (or the A57's blazing fast still image frame rate).

And right now the Sony is $648 with the kit lens, while the T4i is $648 body only. For still shooters who are at all interested in video, I recommend the A57 at this price point.

Best of the holy-days to you and yours,

Bill

Thanks Bill. I ended up buying the Sony A57 from Amazon for $550 body only. I'm getting a lens on Craigslist, but I might sell it (it's underpriced, so I can flip it for a profit) and grab a 50mm.
A57 for sure. It also has In Body AF and Image Stabilization so your lenses will be cheaper.
Don't know how much of a feature in-body AF is, but in-body IS is good.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
In body AF means any lens you get will auto focus.

...I ended up buying the Sony A57 from Amazon for $550 body only. I'm getting a lens on Craigslist, but I might sell it (it's underpriced, so I can flip it for a profit) and grab a 50mm...

Congrats on the new camera - please let us know how it works out for you - and Happy New Year!

Bill

If you need the FPS and shoot anything like sports and other fast moving activities then the A57 for sure from the choices you listed. The T4i is a better overall camera, but it's not an action camera but could get the work done but you would miss a lot of shots.

While the T4i and the Sony generally rate pretty close the $300 priced difference the A57 would be awesome, based on the two things that seem to interest you most.

Make sure you get additional batteries, you will need them.

Really? It's rated for 500 images... I can't foresee myself shooting 500 images in a day... at least not at the level I'm at right now. If I start assisting a professional or doing something on that degree, maybe. Do you think I should get it even now?

ConradM said:

You clearly haven't researched that.

Most reactions

Back