Canon EOS Rebel XT 8MP DSLR vs. Canon S5 IS

radioman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I a have a Canon Powershot S5 IS which is not a DSLR but then saw this DSLR /Canon EOS Rebel XT 8MP DSLR $299.99/ that is cheaper than my powershot. In my little knowledge isn't the Rebel better?

First, make sure that the place you saw the rebel for 300 dollar is a LEGITIMATE website. If you're not savvy, quite a few internet (well hell the majority of them) retailers are in the bait & switch market - you are going to get taken for a ride if you get an offer that is too good to be true.

Second, what do you intend to do with the camera. There are many ways that a point and shoot is BETTER than a dSLR. Image quality isn't everything.

I wouldn't be surprised if you found that price on a scam site. Too good to be true usually is.. I almost found out the hard way.

I had heard that walmart had them marked way down but who knows. I really don't need it I was just wondering.

To answer your question...yes, the Rebel is much, much better.

And as others have said...beware of unbelievable prices.

I had heard that walmart had them marked way down but who knows. I really don't need it I was just wondering.

If your local Walmart has em, grab it. Its an older camera, but most Canon lenses should work with it and thats where most of your money should be going - to a proper lens so you can take advantage of stepping up to a dSLR body.

I wouldn't be surprised if you found that price on a scam site. Too good to be true usually is.. I almost found out the hard way.

I wouldn't really consider $300 "too good to be true" for a 350D...

KEH sells them in EX+ condition for $350. (EX+ is pretty much brand new...)

...And yes, it's better than your powershot. Although it sounds cheaper now, it's actually much more expensive once you start buying lenses.

You can find used 30D's for that price....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back