Canon EOS T2i

Tahua

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I am new to camera hardware. I have been shooting pictures for a photography company here in Phoenix for years, and understand how to take pictures, but until recently I have been unable to afford my own equipment(always used stuff from the company).

I just purchased a Canon EOS T2i, with the default lens. I have a few questions on the lenses, for portraits and such should I keep the lens that Canon provides, or should I be upgrading it? I have also been shooting some sporting events recently, and have used some of the telephoto lenses the company had. What ones would you recommend for my camera? Most of the photo's I shoot at the events I take right from the side lines, so I am thinking mid range(75-300 or 400mm) should work. Should I be looking at something bigger?

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Mark

To start that lens is pretty good for portraits. But if you start doing it indoor with lower light, it is not going to cut it unless you use the built in flash. If you use that flash though, it wont look very good. You should look for a used 50mm f/1.8 which is around $80-100 used. Or buy the 50mm f/1.4! You wont be disappointed!

Sideline on what event? LOL Football, basketball, volleyball? Big difference.

Hi Schwettylens,

Sorry should have included that. It is both football and soccer, usually being played on the same field.

And as far as the portraits, the events are usually indoors, however, we always bring our own lighting and strobe flash units to the events, so everything is shot with controlled lighting. Would you still recommend the f/1.8 or f/1.4? Also do you have a brand preference?

Thanks a bunch

Id maybe steer clear of the 75-300.. Im pretty sure that it is regarded as one of Canon's worst lenses ever created. The 70-300's are apparently quite a bit better.. but may still be a bit slow for shooting sports.

. Would you still recommend the f/1.8 or f/1.4? Also do you have a brand preference?

If you do go with a nice prime lens, you should check out Canon's f/1.8, or Sigma's f/1.4

I recently bought the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 and it's amazing!

Yeah, you walk around more? Feet zoom? LOL

I have a Canon T2i... and I have that shibby kit lens... then I 'upgraded' to a Canon EF 50mm f/1.4... and my life had changed forever. :lmao:

When my "stock" 17-85 wasn't enough I started to look for something faster indoors and low light. A friend of mine gave me 50mm f/1.4 to try but it was too zoomy on a crop. Shooting a concert is great, but in a museum or in the house with limited space to back out, just wasn't working. It's a great lens but if you have limited space, you gonna need something wider. I hear sigma 30mm is a beast..

Eya erose86!

YOur pics looks awesome with your new 50! Obviously a much needed upgrade from the kit. keeper real.

Last edited:
When my "stock" 17-85 wasn't enough I started to look for something faster indoors and low light. A friend of mine gave me 50mm f/1.4 to try but it was too zoomy on a crop. Shooting a concert is great, but in a museum or in the house with limited space to back out, just wasn't working. It's a great lens but if you have limited space, you gonna need something wider. I hear sigma 30mm is a beast..

The 50mm is really zoomy on a crop for indoor sort of shots, but it's excellent for portraits and outdoor shoots. It also takes a bit of getting used to. I got one with intentions of getting a full-frame later on, but in the mean time I wouldn't mind a 30 or 35mm.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back