Canon F-1N Aperture Lightmeter Issue

Noahb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi folks,

Well I run into an issue regarding my FD 35mm f/2.0 SSC II lens. I mounted the lens to my F1 New (Eye level finder FN) and quickly realised that the lightmeter was off. Basically the aperture I select on the aperture ring of the lens isn't synched with the lollipop of the light meter (lollipop = aperture indicator circle).

While the aperture ring of the lens is set to f/5.6 the lightmeter claims that the aperture is set to something between f/5.6 and f/8 (see image). This discrepancy happens from f/2 all the way to f/22. While the lens is set to f/22 the lightmeter indicates an aperture over f/22.

I hope the issue got clear by now.

However, when mounting an nFD Lens (nFD 50m 1.4) the lightmeter works just fine. Aperture ring and Lollipop are dead synched.

Did anybody run into the same issue? Is that caused due to the usage of old FD glas paired with a F-1 New?
Thank you

Attachments

• Lightmeter.jpg
    Lightmeter.jpg
    613 KB · Views: 51
No. It's not a problem. The light meter is telling you that correct exposure is somewhere between f5.6 and f8.

Hmm, I am trying to remember ... I had mostly newer FD lenses but I did have the 400mm f/4.5 SSC and I think it was always 1/2 stop off the viewfinder indicator of my New F-1 (and I had the AE Finder).

Most reactions

Back