Canon Flash

micpman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking to buy my wife a flash and am not sure which one to buy. What is the difference between a 580EX and a 580EX II?

This would be going on an Canon EOS Rebel XSi, I am planning on buying her a better camera in the future, so should I spend the extra money for the 580EXII now or just go with the cheaper one?

Any information would be appreciated, Thank you.

the canon 430ex II is a great flash for half the price of the 580

I own the 580ex II
unless she knows how to use flash, I advice against it just now.

I still have no idea how to use my flash.
I wish I bought the 430 ex II or the 230ex even!

I say buy her the 430 exii since when you do upgrade her camea, she can buy the 580exii too
meaning she has 2 flashes and the 580 can act as a master flash.

EX-II marks the first time Canon managed to get their flash metering somewhat right and consistent with their E-TTL II (aka version two) flash control/flash metering protocol. You really,really want the II version of the 580 flash...that is the flash protocol that actually works best. The transfer of flash metering technology from film-based, with film's moderately low reflectance value, over to exceedingly reflective sensor and filter-pack surfaces used in d-slr's took a number of years to get right...

E-TTL II is notably better and more consistent than the earlier E-TTL protocol. Nikon had film era TTL, then D-TTL,and the "D-TTL" system was not very good....so, definitely, do not settle for outdated, early-game technology...go for the EX-II model! I own the 580 EX-II and think it does a pretty decent job of getting flash metering right,or close to right, in most scenarios....this was NOT the case with the earlier 580 unit...when buying flash units for modern d-slr models and when anticipating buying a "better" camera in the future, you might just as well spend the money on the current technology model, not on something that was a learning experiment for Canon....the 580 EX is like Nikon SB-28DX..."okay", but streets behind the newer models that came after, with entirely DIFFERENT flash control protocols. Do not waste money on a 580 when the 580 EDX-II is the current model, using the current flash control protocols: learn the EX-II and carry it forward!

I really appreciate all the responses, this information will help with my desicision.

Thank you.

It depends what you want out of a flash. I love my 580 EX II. What it has over the 430:
- higher max range (about 5m further)
- external power pack option for faster cycling
- faster native cycling anyway
- weather sealed
- can act as master and slave

It's also not quite twice the price: $280 vs $445 at B&H (60% premium)

EX-II marks the first time Canon managed to get their flash metering somewhat right and consistent with their E-TTL II (aka version two) flash control/flash metering protocol.

Both the 580EX and 580EX II support the E-TTL II protocol. The "II" model has a slightly different algorithm for calculating output based on this, which is reported as producing marginally preferable results.

pbelarge's link said:
The original flash was touting its ETTL-"II" capabilities in its name and now we have the 580EX "II" - which is still E-TTL II.

I know, the naming is confusing. I don't know why they did that.

My £0.02: If you can afford it, have the 580EX II (I would if I could!) as it wlil do everything you ever want, if you can't buy the 430EX II unless you really need the extra power, then it's the 580EX. I don't think any of them are bad units.

Most reactions

Back