Canon Glass vs. Nikon Glass

Nikons can't do as good of a job getting you mugged either, with the bright white L zooms that scream "ripe for the taking.":lmao:

Nikons can't do as good of a job getting you mugged either, with the bright white L zooms that scream "ripe for the taking.":lmao:

That's why we have Lens Coats

or for those of us on budget - a wellie sock will do
4126165648_c479432dca.jpg

:lmao:

While this is a bit amusing, a Nikon 70-200mm 2.8 screams steal me at least 99% as much.

Nikon pro level lenses got the bling man...

2185_AF-S-NIKKOR-70-200mm-f-2_8G-ED-VR-II_front.jpg

Look at it lol. Gold lettering and a gold ring.

If you are trying to say that thieves know lenses with a red ring are better quality though...

While this is a bit amusing, a Nikon 70-200mm 2.8 screams steal me at least 99% as much.

Nikon pro level lenses got the bling man...

2185_AF-S-NIKKOR-70-200mm-f-2_8G-ED-VR-II_front.jpg

Look at it lol. Gold lettering and a gold ring.

If you are trying to say that thieves know lenses with a red ring are better quality though...
Ya, Canon got a red ring, wtf is red? Only USM lenses from canon got some gold...

Nikon got GOLD ALL OVER THEIR their lenses, damn them and their 24k gold rings. Maybe thats why they are so expensive!

Uh...oh....but, to add something here...has anybody noticed that Canon, and Sigma have recently started pricing significantly higher than they used to??? I mean, look at what Sigma has done with its 70-200 f/2.8 lenses...they used to be at $799 retail...now they have jacked that price up to some ridiculous list price, like $2199 or something, and are getting like $1600 for it at actual retail!!! Meanwhile, Tamron's 70-200 f/2.8 lens is in the $800 price range, more or less...it seems like Canon and Sigma are raising the stakes on us...

).

Could this be because Sigma is trying to enter the dSLR market (see their newest cameras Sigma SD15 Digital SLR Camera | sigmaphoto.com ) and they want to compete on the same field? Are they going to stop making lenses compatible with the other vendors?

I highly doubt it - have you ever met anyone who owns and shoots Sigma only? Or even just sigma alone?

I think at the moment they know that they are in the market for lenses mostly - bodies they've a long way to go marketing wise to really take a slice of that market. I think the change is that for a long time sigma was the "poormans" choice (even though they have fantastic pro end lenses - their 10-20mm, teleconverters, 50mm f1.4 and marco lenses being examples of those just as good/better than canon/nikon own) and now they are more seriously also pushing into the semi and pro markets as well.

I highly doubt it - have you ever met anyone who owns and shoots Sigma only? Or even just sigma alone?

I think at the moment they know that they are in the market for lenses mostly - bodies they've a long way to go marketing wise to really take a slice of that market. I think the change is that for a long time sigma was the "poormans" choice (even though they have fantastic pro end lenses - their 10-20mm, teleconverters, 50mm f1.4 and marco lenses being examples of those just as good/better than canon/nikon own) and now they are more seriously also pushing into the semi and pro markets as well.

Aye that's what I'd go with. I've owned Sigmas (and their half-brothers Tamron) and I've been completely impressed with them. Nothing wrong with a Sigma lens at all.

But now it's in a different category. The new Sigma lenses are supposedly on the same level as some L lenses in terms of IQ and lens perfection. I haven't shot one of the newer zooms yet but I really want to...I've heard they're *VERY* good.

As far as the whole "which top lenses are easier to see and steal"...depends where you live. Here in Cleveland where there's a chance of snow 5+ months out of the year the white L zooms actually blend in much better than you'd think =P

Oh and now there are plenty of Sigmas and Tamrons that are incorporating a red ring around the barrel. It's great for me because that way maybe a thief will get confused and steal one of those things instead of the equipment poking out of my $7 million home.

Most reactions

Back