Canon Lens help

_Onlettinggo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I bought the Canon Xsi and got the 18-55mm lens with it, which I can imagine is just an average quality lens.. But it also comes with a 75-300mm, does anyone have any experience with this lens? What should I experience using this lens?

Also are there any other fairly cheap lenses that anyone can refer me to? Price range around 200$

There's always the "nifty fifty" - a 50mm f1.8 plastic mount lens that is usually just under $100. It is not a zoom (obviously), but it will allow photos to be taken in lower light, and I suspect with somewhat higher quality than the two zooms you own now.

Quality wise, the 70-300mm is about the same as your 18-55mm lens. Although, the 70-300mm, being a longer lens, requires a faster shutter speed, so it's actually a harder lens to use (higher percentage of getting blurry shots).

The problem with either of these lenses, is that they are 'slow' lenses. By that I mean that they don't have a large maximum aperture...especially at the long end of the zoom.
F5.6 isn't a very large aperture. For example, a top quality zoom lens will likely have a max aperture of F2.8 (lower is bigger) for the whole zoom range.

Your lenses aren't bad...they are just on the lower end of the scale for SLR lenses. As long as you use them in good light, or on a tripod etc....they can be great for you.

You won't find much of anything for $200 (especially in Canadian funds). The one exception is the EF 50mm F1.8. This is the cheapest Canon lens and it's mostly plastic...but the glass is pretty good (especially for the price). The best part is that is has a large maximum aperture of F1.8, which is what your other lenses are lacking. It would be a great addition to your kit.

For budget purposes, look into third party lenses.

I'm loving my Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. Its a bit slow to focus, but its a really great lens that offers a wide / fast aperture.
Cost me $540 CAD instead of the Canon equivalent 24-70 which would cost me $1300 CAD.

And yeah, the 50mm f/1.8 is a great purchase. The image quality is nice, its fast... but it feels cheap and plasticy (because it is). For a bit more you can get the 50mm f/1.4 which is better built.

And yeah, the 50mm f/1.8 is a great purchase. The image quality is nice, its fast... but it feels cheap and plasticy (because it is). For a bit more you can get the 50mm f/1.4 which is better built.

Or, if you can take someone with you who can judge the condition of the lens, you can look for a used 50mm f/1.8 Mark I .... it was made more solidly and has a more "metal" feel than the "plasticy" Mark II version. A used Mark I tends to be a bit more expensive than a new Mark II (I paid about $120 for mine on e-bay, if I remember correctly).

While its good to have a range of lenses to cover all focal lenghts, I would first start by thinking of what type of photos you enjoy doing and then focus your lens purchase on getting a high quality lens to meet those needs.

An expensive lens is an investment. One that will last you many many years. An expensive body will be upgraded by the manufacturer in 2 years and newer bodies will benefit from newer technology.

So yeah...cheaper body, more expensive lens :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back