Canon model range

fokker

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was just wondering if anybody has a link to which canon DSLR's sit where in their model range - for instance, is a 20d better than a 350d (rebel xt)?

Thanks!

Less digits is better.

1D is better than 400D, or 40D

Inside specific model runs (xxxD, or xxD), a higher number is newer.

I guess the only exception is when you get into the single digits. There, the 1DsMkIII is king, 5DMkII would be on the next rung down.

Thanks - So 20d, 30d, 40d will be better than 300d, 350d, 400d in all cases?

Yes. (Kinda)

Though, you probably shouldn't compare the 20D to the 450D - as they are several generations apart.

20D, 30D, 40D, 50D - that's 4 generations of one line.

300D, 350D, 400D, 450D - 4 generations of the Rebel line.

If you compare the oldest body of the 'prosumer' (xxD) line to the newest body of the Rebel (xxxD) line, the 'xxD' may not always be better...

Depends on what you mean by "better". There may not be much difference in image quality between the consumer and prosumer cameras, but physical size, build quality and camera controls will be very different.

The Rebel/XXXD line are entry level DSLRs for people just getting their first DSLR. The XXD line are more for serious amateur/semi-professional photographers. Both groups have different needs and the cameras are designed to meet these needs.

Depends on what you mean by "better". There may not be much difference in image quality between the consumer and prosumer cameras, but physical size, build quality and camera controls will be very different.

The Rebel/XXXD line are entry level DSLRs for people just getting their first DSLR. The XXD line are more for serious amateur/semi-professional photographers. Both groups have different needs and the cameras are designed to meet these needs.

out of curiosity what makes the XXD line more advanced than the Rebel line? more settings? mp? ...?

out of curiosity what makes the XXD line more advanced than the Rebel line? more settings? mp? ...?

A bit of everything. More MP, better build quality, better high ISO performance....

There, the 1DsMkIII is king, 5DMkII would be on the next rung down.
For this generation, of course... although the 1D MKIII is really next. Then the 5D MKII

If you get a chance, step into a camera store and ask to see them both. The differences can been seen & felt immediately.

Thanks for all the help.

Now I want a 40d. Big clear LCD screen is a big bonus for me, plus more MP, higher ISO, and a few other nice features I can't think of now.

I have the 40D. I think you will be very happy with it, it's a great camera.

Yes I think I would be very happy with it, trouble is I can't afford it :(

Need to buy new lenses first anyway, but its a pipe dream.

Most reactions

Back