Canon, new user, help! (please?)

OpenYourMind

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, I'm Anastasia and currently 15. Today I purchased a Canon EOS Rebel T3(EOS 1100D) and I am completely new a taking pictures. I do zero editing as of right now. Would anybody be willing to spew out some constructive criticism(once I'm able to post pictures). I haven't even loaded the start up disks (so My laptop will read the cam) to my CPU! (crazy I know, but I'm busy!!)

If anyone has any experience with this DSLR camera please share? AND if anyone wants to share a website or store in which cheaper(or discounted) lens are available for sale also share that hearty information.

Thanks, it's greatly appreciated!

Congrats on your camera purchase. You will have tons of fun with it. Read the manual and refer to it as you go. I have a T3i that I bought in December and love it. There's tons of info on this forum and dozens here to help you along. Happy shooting!

The best tips I had gotten were to

1) Read the manual
2) Re read the manual
3) Once you think you know it read it a bunch more times!

I dont know how much you know about photography itself but I would reccomend learning the exposure triangle. Those were the 2 things I was told to do the most! So get it girlie :)

Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure was a great read for learning the exposure triangle and what a properly exposed photo is.

ld3davis said:
Congrats on your camera purchase. You will have tons of fun with it. Read the manual and refer to it as you go. I have a T3i that I bought in December and love it. There's tons of info on this forum and dozens here to help you along. Happy shooting!

Thanks!

RebeccaAPhotography said:
The best tips I had gotten were to

1) Read the manual
2) Re read the manual
3) Once you think you know it read it a bunch more times!

I dont know how much you know about photography itself but I would reccomend learning the exposure triangle. Those were the 2 things I was told to do the most! So get it girlie :)

Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure was a great read for learning the exposure triangle and what a properly exposed photo is.

Good advice, I know diddly sh*t about cameras, taking pictures, and editing. So that will be a good start. Thank you for the suggestion.

Yeah, first off learn what the settings do. Next learn how to use them. The best way photography was described to me was it is simply a matter of manipulating light which isn't so easy. There are a lot of simple but yet complicated basics you (I) need to learn. One basic seems easy enough to grasp but when you start to chose your own settings and have to do it fast enough so that you don't miss a shot can be frustrating. Try not to get to frustrated and just have fun shooting and learning from your errors.

Mygixxer said:
Yeah, first off learn what the settings do. Next learn how to use them. The best way photography was described to me was it is simply a matter of manipulating light which isn't so easy. There are a lot of simple but yet complicated basics you (I) need to learn. One basic seems easy enough to grasp but when you start to chose your own settings and have to do it fast enough so that you don't miss a shot can be frustrating. Try not to get to frustrated and just have fun shooting and learning from your errors.

Thanks for the words of wisdom and motivation :)

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with the advice you've gotten so far. Start by learning the basics of Exposure...Shutter speed, Aperture and ISO. These things haven't really changed much in the last 100 years, so you don't need to learn them specifically about your camera....just how to adjust them on your camera.

There are lots of good books and other resources for this, and yes, read your manual, practice, then read it again.

Most importantly, have fun with it.

welcome my fellow canon user! You'll love the camera. My advice would be to shoot A LOT. Take a look at some of the pictures posted here. What I did was look at some sample pictures that other people have taken with my same camera/lens combo for some motivation.

First, load the software.

Big Mike said:
Welcome to the forum.

I agree with the advice you've gotten so far. Start by learning the basics of Exposure...Shutter speed, Aperture and ISO. These things haven't really changed much in the last 100 years, so you don't need to learn them specifically about your camera....just how to adjust them on your camera.

There are lots of good books and other resources for this, and yes, read your manual, practice, then read it again.

Most importantly, have fun with it.

Thank you I appreciate it. Already red the manual a couple of times. Crazy how much work goes into photography! But I love it.

LuckySe7en said:
welcome my fellow canon user! You'll love the camera. My advice would be to shoot A LOT. Take a look at some of the pictures posted here. What I did was look at some sample pictures that other people have taken with my same camera/lens combo for some motivation.

I only have an 8gb sd card.. So I won't shoot a ton, but I've already gotten a solid hundred photos I really like. The lens is awesome and the picture look as if they're clearer than reality.

Tip #16 - don't judge image quality by what you see on the back of the camera. It's such a small view you really can't see what's in focus and they are not very accurate for colors.

Welcome, both to the forum and the world of photography.

Have a read of the tutorials in my signature. They'll give you a foundation on what you need to know.

Most reactions

Back