Canon or Nikon?

not much really...

unless he finally upgrades to shooting film only or *gasp* go digital...

P-P,
Of course Kodachrome scans suck...Kodachrome is probably the single most-difficult color slide film for modern scanners...Kodachromes scan like crap...just like Tri-X scans like crap...virtually any E-6 films will scan better than Kodachrome....I used to shoot Kodachrome 64 and Kodachrome 64 Professional by the brick back in the 1980's...it projects beautifully and has almost unmatched DARK storage life, but it fades rather rapidly when actually projected, making E-6 slide films a better choice for projecting frequently, or for long-term continuous slide shows that run on a loop setup. I have scanned quite a few Kodachromes,and most scanners do a very horrible job with it, but last week there appeared a review for the Plustek 7600 film scanner on the Luminous Landscape web site; that scanner is apparently,one of the absolute best scanners for handling Kodachrome originals and converting them to excellent scans, so it would be very worth checking into that model of scanner.

By the bye, Steve McCurry, of National Geographic and "Afghan Girl" fame was given the very last roll of Kodachome that Kodak made, and McCurry recently shot it. National Geographic is going to do a special on "the Last Roll" next spring. Read more about the end of Kodachrome here.

The Online Photographer: The Last Roll

P-P,
Of course Kodachrome scans suck...Kodachrome is probably the single most-difficult color slide film for modern scanners...Kodachromes scan like crap...just like Tri-X scans like crap...virtually any E-6 films will scan better than Kodachrome....I used to shoot Kodachrome 64 and Kodachrome 64 Professional by the brick back in the 1980's...it projects beautifully and has almost unmatched DARK storage life, but it fades rather rapidly when actually projected, making E-6 slide films a better choice for projecting frequently, or for long-term continuous slide shows that run on a loop setup. I have scanned quite a few Kodachromes,and most scanners do a very horrible job with it, but last week there appeared a review for the Plustek 7600 film scanner on the Luminous Landscape web site; that scanner is apparently,one of the absolute best scanners for handling Kodachrome originals and converting them to excellent scans, so it would be very worth checking into that model of scanner.

By the bye, Steve McCurry, of National Geographic and "Afghan Girl" fame was given the very last roll of Kodachome that Kodak made, and McCurry recently shot it. National Geographic is going to do a special on "the Last Roll" next spring. Read more about the end of Kodachrome here.

There is no "of course" about it. The trouble is that Kodachrome (as well as some other recent E-6 films) has a huge density range. Scanners are set up for color negatives which have lower density range.

Back to the original topic, vis a vis the most-recent post by Petraio Prime.

When I think back
On all the crap I learned in high school
It's a wonder
I can think at all
And though my lack of edu---cation
Hasn't hurt me none
I can read the writing on the wall

Kodachrome
They give us those nice bright colors
They give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, Oh yeah
I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So mama don't take my Kodachrome away

If you took all the girls I knew
When I was single
And brought them all together for one night
I know they'd never match
my sweet imagination
everything looks WORSE in black and white

Kodachrome
I got a Nikon camera

Mama don't take my Kodachrome away

Mama don't take my Kodachrome

Leave your boy so far from home

Back to the original topic, vis a vis the most-recent post by Petraio Prime.

When I think back
On all the crap I learned in high school
It's a wonder
I can think at all
And though my lack of edu---cation
Hasn't hurt me none
I can read the writing on the wall

Kodachrome
I got a Nikon camera

If you took all the girls I knew
When I was single
And brought them all together for one night
I know they'd never match
my sweet imagination
everything looks WORSE in black and white

Kodachrome
I got a Nikon camera

Leave your boy so far from home

Paul Simon and I look a lot alike.

And the Genesse River breathed a sigh of relief! I went to school in Rochester and the rumor is that you could develop film in it, it was so polluted.

(of course we replaced that with circuit board manufacturing in China, another environmentally damaging practice.)

And the Genesse River breathed a sigh of relief! I went to school in Rochester and the rumor is that you could develop film in it, it was so polluted.

(of course we replaced that with circuit board manufacturing in China, another environmentally damaging practice.)

Believe it or not, lots of substances can develop film. It isn't that big of a deal that 'x' can develop film. Tea can, I believe.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back