Canon or Nikon?

It has? Really?

Well, if you ever need to take pictures of a soccer game through the net...call me. Don't expect your autofocus to do it.

Heh, I say it again for you.

When did they remove auto-focus capability again? Seriously, try again.

Who needs it?

Nice photo (save for the blown highlights taken in direct sun).

Please, enough with the "I'm better than you because I use a manual camera!" bit. We get it. You've pounded it into our brains, at least 100 times, literally. Why are you so scared of AF? Scared it will make you less of a photographer? Oh, there I go again, you aren't a photographer...I need to quit making that mistake. I'd say you're a Luddite, but you are online, so that can't be it. I guess technological advances past 1965 in the photographic world are bad.

As for me, I will admit that it sure is nice, and helps a lot to have a mechanical assist in focusing. I could do it myself, but what's the point when the machine can do it basically as well as a human being, except in a few rare circumstances (like you pointed out)?

I should have learned from the first time. I'm going to just stop replying to you. You're an old crotchety man, set in his ways, and the new fangled whosits and whatsits are just too darned complicated for you! I guess they really can't teach an old dog (or a not-a-photographer) new tricks.

Autofocus works quite well if one understands how to actually USE the particular camera. But Petraio is out of luck as far as autofocus, since his Leicaflex SL-2 is part of a now-dead system, the Leica R-mount,which was discontinued by Leica in the spring of 2009. Leica never did offer an autofocus camera or lens in the R- system, and the Leica R-system SLR cameras never were very popular among Leica users. The lens system was not very broad or deep,and just never could catch on. THe Leica rangefinder system by contrast, was always well-received, and still continues to this day in both 35mm film and digital body offerings. But still, no autofocusing lenses or bodies, except in the brand new Leica S-2 medium format digital system.

One thing is for sure though: manual focusing lenses have focusing throws that are well-designed and well-suited for focusing by hand and eye, and that is not true of the vast majority of autofocus zooms made these days. "Some" autofocusing lenses, those that are oriented to people work, like those in the 85,105,135mm ranges do have reasonably good manual focusing action, but on many of today's lower-priced zoom lenses, the focusing is absolutely hair-trigger when it is done by a human; most modern AF lenses have very light, plastic-y type feel, and the emphasis in designing them is to make them autofocus very well. Which is unfortunately, kind of the opposite of the way a lens designed to be focused by hand and eye should be designed.

You know, I think if I can take a photo of Tim and Derrel happily shake their hands, that photo should worth a million. Of course it will be nice if that happen (not about the money)

It would seem Derrel decided to burn this thread. I'm sure the mods will be along shortly to clean up his mess.
He also seemed to decide to blatantly ignore your breakdown of his more or less unfounded ranting. Much like he ignored mine from a few days ago.

It's ok to have opinions, Derrel, and I don't doubt your knowledge of optics or mechanical film cameras. But seriously, cut the triumphant rhetoric and empty logic. And if you're going to argue so ferociously about these new fangled willy nilly digital cameras, at least get some actual hands-on time from ones that aren't 5 or 6 years old. Maybe if you actually used some of these cameras instead of reading about people who hate them, you could be more productive and less misleading. Opinions are opinions, but spitting them out and passing it as hard fact is usually a trait reserved for the likes of Fox News.

Sorry Matt, but Canons still operate the SAME way as they did four or five years ago. Your detailed breakdown the other day was responded to by me as much as it warranted it. I do not need to go back and forth with you on your opinion ion what the Canon 60D will be like...I gave you the last word about it...and now you want me to go back and re-parse your opinions?

Sorry Matt, but I was shooting a 35mm SLR about a decade before you were even born...

Sorry dudes...there is nothing in this thread that I am ashamed of or embarassed about...InTempus's blog was begun this winter and is dedicated ONLY to badmouthing *ME*. My blog has been in existence for many years, and I did not name names until Tim (InTempus) began stalking me. I have a preference for Nikon equipment, but unlike you Matt, and unlike InTempus, and unlike Petraio Prime, I own a complete Nikon system AND I own a pretty decent 10-lens, three-body Canon system. My opinions are based on a total of 37 years as an amatueur photographer, full-time professional portrait shooter in the 1990's, a part-time newspaper sports shooter, and a freelance photographer. Petraio owns neither Canon nor Nikon, and yet he's her in this thread all the time,opining based on ZERO experience.

Sorry to bust any bubbles, but the Canon fanboy mentality is very strong. Matt, InTempus, anybody here: If you would like to compare experience with the Canon 70-200/2.8 L-IS versus the Nikon 70-200 f/23.8 VR, based on PERSONAL OWNERSHIP over YEARS, or compare the Canon 135mm f/2-L verus the Nikon 135mm f/2 Ai-S versus the Nikon 135mm f/2 AF Defocus Control Lens, based on personal experience, or compare Nikon and Canon 50mm 1.8 AF lenses, or compare Nikon 1.4 50's versus Canon's 50/1.4 EF, or compare the Nikon 80-400 VR versus the SIgma 80-400 OS in Canon mount, or compare the Nikon system's macro lens designs versus the Canon system's macro abilities with reverse-mounted lenses, based on personal experience and ownership, then hey--- I am all ears. Got any real ownership or experience to back up your opinions? I thought not...

How about you Matt, or InTempus, write us up give us an essay on why the Nikon 135 f/2 Defocus Control lens is so superior to the Canon 135 f/2.8 Soft Focus lens? I own them both, so I'd be interested to hear your opinions. I would also love to hear your take on the Canon 50/1.8 versus the Nikkor 50/1.8. And of course, the 135 f/2-L versus 135 f/2 D.C. lenses, head-to-head BOTH shot on the Canon 5D body, like I have done for years now. I would dearly love to hear the points of view and actual experiences of people here who happen to own BOTH brands of equipment and who have more than a couple of years of experience in photography.

Unfortunately, the Canon vs Nikon threads always pretty quickly get filled with mostly fanboys who have zero experience outside of their own brand, and who have been involced in photography for two or three years and somehow seem to think that their own choice is the best one. Funny thing--my avatar photo is one of me, holding a CANON 5D and grip and a Canon prime lens on it!!! InTempus has the avatar of him pissing on the Nikon brand name. Kind of amusing, I think. Many here put their bona fides in their signature file, as if listing out their camera gear gives them some kind of credibility. Amusing.

I'd welcome some actual, informed debate on a number of Canon vs Nikon topics, but there simply are not too many people who can debate the issue without resorting to name-calling and character assassination. People who have avatars defaming another brand, who have started brand-specific fan forums, and who have begun a one-man poison open blog are some examples of people who really are a bit too wrapped up in the whole Canon vs Nikon debate.

Sorry Matt, but I addressed your "breakdown" quite thoroughly, in multiple posts. I gave you he last word. Isn't that enough for you? Why don;t you add something of actual *value* to this thread, liike I have done: I have listed specific system vs system characterisitics, some GOOD quaklities in favor of Canon, and even a reference to the Michael Reichmann comparison of Canon and Nikon cameras....but you have provided nothing of value,except trying to disparage me. Sorry Matt...but your argument is not much more than character disparagement.

Have you got snything to say about how Canon's depth of field preview system works,as compared with the Nikon system? How about flash metering and remote flash control, system vs system? Can you address Canon's inability to catch Nikon or Pentax in their AUTO-ISO implementation? Can you address why Canon has had so many flash exposure consistency problems for over a decade? Can you address the comparison of the Canon 16-35/2.8 L-II's persistent weakness in the wide-angle zooms versus both the Nikkor 17-35/2.8 and the newer the Nikkor 14-24? Can you address why the Canon 50/1.2-L and 85-1.2-L lenses are so plagued with longitudinal chromatic aberration at wide apertures and why their focusing is so dog-slow?

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Last edited:
...and in the end nothing really matters. Does it.

Sorry dudes...there is nothing in this thread that I am ashamed of or embarassed about...InTempus's blog was begun this winter and id dedicated ONLY to badmouthing *ME*. My blog has been in existence for many years, and I do not name names.
You name names endlessly. Look at this thread Derrel, you name me by first and last name in some failed effort to scare me like a high school bully. You've been doing that since day one. If anyone has an opinion that you disagree with, you go out of your way to insult them, berate them, and belittle them.

This thread is no different. You jump right in on me when I didn't say a word to you. The mere fact I dared to post in this thread set you off. You can't even backup your nonsensical claims that I was being a fanboy in this thread. But like a broken record you start in with the insults about my user name, my website, my choice of camera gear, etc. It's never ending and the tactics never vary. Then, without fail, you try to play victim... and when that doesn't work, you just disappear.

I have a preference for Nikon equipment, but unlike you Matt, and unlike InTempus, and unlike Petraio Prime, I own a complete Nikon system AND I own a pretty decent 10-lens, three-body Canon system. My opinions are based on a total of 37 years as an amatueur photographerm, full-time professional portrait shooter, part-time newspaper sports shooter, and freelance photographer.
How many times in this thread do you have to repeat how old you are, when you started with your first camera as if that has ANY relevance to the insulting and derogatory posts you make?

I don't care what you claim to have done in the last few decades, what I do know from following your posts is that you do nothing more than take snap shots with antique equipment and surf the internet day in and day out pretending to be the worlds greatest photographer. All you have is your endless collection of bookmarks and web articles from which you recite to try and impress new posters. You certainly haven't been able to do it with any actual photography.

Sorry to bust any bubbles, but the Canon fanboy mentality is very strong.
Give me ONE quote, just one, where I say anything even remotely fanboyish in my posts in this thread. You can't do it. Instead, you take this thread to amazing new lows in an effort to mask the fact you've been caught making stuff up... again.

Matt,InTempus, anybody here: If you woulod like to compare experience with the Canon 70-200/2.8 L-IS versus the Nikon 70-200 f/23.8 VR, based on PEROSNAL OWNERSHIP over YEARS, or compare the Canon 135mm f/2-L verus the Nikon 135mm f/2 Ai-S versus the Nikon 135mm f/2 AF Defocus Control Lens, based on personal experience, or compare Nikon and Canon 50mm 1.8 AF lenses, or compare Nikon 1.4 50's versus Canon's 50/1.4 EF, or compare the Nikon 80-400 VR versus the SIgma 80-400 OS in Canon mount, or compare the Nikon system's macro lens designs versus the Canon system's macro abilities with reverse-mounted lenses, based on personal experience and ownership, then hey, I am all ears.
What on earth does this have to do with anything in this thread? Seriously, you need to get a grip.

Unfortunately, the Canon vs Nikon thread pretty quickly gets filled with mostly fanboys
Oh, the irony! I'm waiting Derrel, surely you can quote me on my fanboyish post(s).

InTempus has the avatar of him pissing on the NIkon brand name. Kind of amusing, I think. Many here pout their bona fides in their signature file, as if listing out their camera gear gives them some kind of credibility. Amusing.
Yup, the avatar is there to highlight the fanboyism of people like yourself. It's nice to see how you're taking a cheap shot at everyone else on here who lists their gear in their sig line. Nothing like a good old fashioned Derrel drive-by.

I'd welcome some actual, informed debate on a number of Canon vs Nikon topics, but there simply are not too many people who can debate the issue without resorting to name-calling and character assassination.
OMG, this is classic. All anyone has to do is scroll back a couple of pages to see you're describing yourself to a T. :lmao: I can't even come in here and say "both are good cameras, find the one that works for you and go with it" without you attacking me out of the blue.

Have you got snything to say about how Canon's depth of field preview system works,a scompared with the Nikon system? Can you address Canon;s inability to catch Nikon or pentax in the AUTO-ISO implementation? Can you address why anon has had so many flash exposure problems for over a decade?
...and you accuse me of misspellings? :lmao: Obviously you've started drinking early tonight.

It's threads like this that make me want to drop everything and change to Pentax!

I'm sure some chap in HongKong has made a neat little adaptor to mount it ;)
Might have to get used to shooting wide open though!

I'm new here, but it appears the fat guy with the mustache is getting his butt whipped.

It's threads like this that make me want to drop everything and change to Pentax!

Dude Pentax? Sony is much more superior with it's image stabilization equivalent built in to their camera bodies; unlike the crappy nikon and canon brand that have their system independently built on their lenses instead! :p

It's the Indian not the arrow Op. When I was thinking of switching from Canon, I rented a bunch of Nikon gear and shot with it for an entire gig. Offcourse in the beginning I was confused with the controls even with the practice beforehand. However In the final product, I got the exact same style of photos with around the exact same success rate with around the exact same rejection rate.....wonder why that is..

But for me, my shooting style is not techinically driven....I feel the subjects, I feel the ambience, I feel the lighting, I feel the mood and then I shoot. I'm not a real a technical shooter. Just as long as I know the basic camera settings enough to be in manual I'm good to go I think that's why maybe brand doesn't matter for me. When I figured this out, that's when a decided to stay with Canon(and offcourse I was already deeply invested into the brand).

Go Sony!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back