canon or nikon?

poke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hey guys, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. i have read a lot of reviews on here so i would like some input on making a decision to either stay with nikon or go to canon. I'm not trying to start a canon vs nikon war i would just like some opinions for making a long term investment. i am currently a nikon shooter using the d3100 with the 18-55 kit, 50mm 1.8d, 70-300 VR and two sb600's. if i decide to stay with nikon i will sell the d3100 kit buy a d7000 body and keep everything else so i would need a mid range zoom lens. i just sold my 18-105 because i didn't really like it too much. i'm looking at the 17-55 f2.8, 24-120 f4, 16-85, 28-70 f2.8 or maybe the 24-70 if i can find it for a steal. i love canons 24-105 although i haven't played with it yet, iv'e read a lot of good reviews and nikon doesn't seem to have anything to match up with it besides maybe the 24-120 f4 and i can get the 24-105 cheaper than the 24-120. now, if i switch to canon i would be purchasing a 50d body with the 24-105 or 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 2.8 and two 430 ex ii speedlights. i chose the 50d because its a good for its price and i will invest on lenses. i prefer to purchase fx or ef lenses because i plan on upgrading to full frame in a few years but i would consider ef-s or dx lenses if they're worth it. i shoot sports, portraits, a little night photography and just general everyday shooting. i have around $1300 to spend and i could probably get rid of all my nikon gear i have for about $1550. any advice would be great. thanks

Its all about the money honey.
If you like how canon feels in your arms - then go w/ Canon. If you like how Nikon feels in your arms - then go with Nikon. Both brands have their +s & -s
You didn't mention any 3rd party lenses - since those could be of some great use.
Personally, I think that switching brands is ok when there's not much to switch (one flash, lens,body); but when you have more then that, it isn't cost effective.
Good Luck

i got to use a friends d7000 and i liked it a lot, what would be some good glass to pair up with it? i don't feel that i have too much gear that i wouldn't be able to switch yet so thats the only reason why I'm considering it. if i switch or stay and invest in more glass it would be final.

Buy both. And every lens you can get for them. That's the only way you can know for certain.

Expected investment = $50,000.

Why do you want to switch? they both make great cameras and great glass. if someone says you need brand x to be the best they are full of it.

my main reason I want to switch is because canon has some nice L lenses that Nikon doesn't have an equivalent to and Nikon glass seems to be more expensive such as the 70-200 f2.8 vr and 24-70 f2.8 compared to canons 70-200 2.8 L or the 24-70 L. My set up will be a 50d, 24-105L, 70-200 2.8L and two 430 ex ii's if I switch.

Go and read Ken Rockwell review on Canon vs Nikon. Lots of history and lots of goods and bads on both. I personally shoot with Nikon because the D-90 was what I felt was the better deal and body at the time. Now I have alot of gear and switching now isnt an option. Im glad with my decision. I like the feel of my Nikon and how easy it is to quickly choose WB, ISO, metering options, focus options. I like the fact that the command, sub command dials do the same no matter what mode im in and the fact that I have them both. Ive heard stories about Canons being a pain the navigate through some menu items but im not sure if its true since ive no experiance with their products. My buddy just bought a Cannon something or another and what a peice of junk. Just felt so light and cheap. Only had one command dial so being in manual mode couldnt figure out how to change shutter speed.
But im so familiar with Nikons that Cannons seam so foreign. Good luck to what ever you choose.

yeah I'm the same way with my nikon, i love the layout. canon didn't seem too bad to me, it would just take some time getting adjusted to everything again. any suggestions for nikon midrange zooms?

Ive heard stories about Canons being a pain the navigate through some menu items but im not sure if its true since ive no experiance with their products. My buddy just bought a Cannon something or another and what a peice of junk. Just felt so light and cheap. Only had one command dial so being in manual mode couldnt figure out how to change shutter speed.
But im so familiar with Nikons that Cannons seam so foreign. Good luck to what ever you choose.

Clearly you haven't used an entry level Nikon, because they operate the exact same way as entry level Canons (which determined by the description in your post, you used an entry level Canon). It's also your aperture that is modified by holding down a button and using the control wheel, so clearly your experience with the entry level Canon is quite limited. If you're used to a Nikon D90 (a Prosumer DSLR), and you went to a Canon 50D, they'd feel very similar in your hands. They wouldn't operate the exact same way, but it's a much more level comparison when referring to ergonomics.

You're literally comparing apples to oranges in terms of control scheme, and you have absolutely no idea that you are.

I deffently agree that on average canon 2.8 glass is cheaper. But i also think the nikon 24-70 is better then the canon 24-70 L.

Now does it really matter when the difference is minimal. Answer is no.

Personally i love the build quality and layout of the nikons, to me they have great ergonomics.

Feel should be about #12 on your list of things that matter about a camera.
I chose my camera because I like the feel of it.

Feel should be about #12 on your list of things that matter about a camera.
I chose my camera because I like the feel of it.

Me too. Canon and Nikon will continually change, surpassing each other on camera features/performance. How a camera feels in your hand will be that way forever.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back