CANON PHOTOS - What's in your camera bag???

sweetnothings123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This Christmas my hubby is buying me a Canon 5D Mark II. I'm so excited and can't wait to get my hands on it. I've borrowed other cameras in the past, but they were Nikon's so I'm not too sure what kind of lenses I should be looking into purchasing. Right now the only lens I have at my disposal will be the lens it comes with - a 50mm f/1.8. My goal is to photograph WEDDINGS, FAMILIES, INDIVIDUALS and NEWBORNS.

I've heard the 24-105 f/4 IS is a great lens ... could this lens be useful for all areas I'm interested in shooting???

So ... what lens could you not live without and why!!!

My 50.
it's there for me when I don't have my flash, or don't want to take my flash out. I know it'll produce beautiful sharp images time after time.

Hope you love yours as much as I love mine.

This isnt really going to help you any, but...
So for right now, my 50mm 1.8 takes the cake too. Beautifully sharp photos and great light capabilities. Love it.

Mark

and PS. For weddings, youre going to want brilliant lenses, fast, wide angle and moderate telephoto primes for portraiture, but either way, you need great lenses. Thats a big day.

Wait youvwe never had any other camera but youre getting a mark II?

This Christmas my hubby is buying me a Canon 5D Mark II. I'm so excited and can't wait to get my hands on it. I've borrowed other cameras in the past, but they were Nikon's so I'm not too sure what kind of lenses I should be looking into purchasing. Right now the only lens I have at my disposal will be the lens it comes with - a 50mm f/1.8. My goal is to photograph WEDDINGS, FAMILIES, INDIVIDUALS and NEWBORNS.

I've heard the 24-105 f/4 IS is a great lens ... could this lens be useful for all areas I'm interested in shooting???

So ... what lens could you not live without and why!!!

So jealous. I'm saving up for the 5D Mark II.

Holy crap, i thought i started big with a D90! well, with that camera and two lens you have you willl be just fine, think about investin in a speedlight!!!! and if I were you, i would start reading hardcore on photography and books on the 5D mark II!!! congrats!

The OP didn't say they haven't used a camera before.

The OP didn't say they haven't used a camera before.

Your right, dont jump to conclusions. I started with a D90 too but if your starting with a 5D its going to be hard to learn :lol:

The biggest leap for the OP will be in figuring out where on a Canon the "usual functions" are. As far as shooting the thing, its pretty much the same as shooting a Nikon - use command dial to choose mode, shoot.

The 24-105mm f4 IS L is certainly a good lens for the area's your looking into - also I belive it is sold in a kit with the 5DM2 and that would be a good place to start. The 24-70mm f2.8 L is also a very popular lens for events such as weddings. It lacks the additional reach of the 105mm, but has a wider max aperture (smaller f number) and so gives you increased light gathering when working in darker indoors areas where you might not be allowed to use flash (for example in the Church).

Good luck with the camera :) (os and don't worry about the rest - they are just jealous ;))

thank you everyone for your suggestions.

I know... it's a big camera for being my first DSLR but I'm not a total newbie ... I have played with cameras before ;). I actually really have a passion for it and IMO have really grown as a photographer ... I just didn't have the money to buy a camera of my own. To be honest, the only reason I am getting the 5D (which was the camera I was looking into purchasing in future) instead of the 50D, is because we found a great deal from someone that bought it a few months ago but wants to sell it ... I know, lucky it was!!!

I'm glad to hear that others have done well with the 50mm ... it means I don't have to go out and spend more money just yet ... :) Plus it will give me the chance to get used to working with the 5D. Trust me, I'm all over the books and online resources. And I like the suggestion about the flash.. I need to get one of those too :)

Any other suggestions.... I'm all ears :)

Last edited:
If you're looking at getting into weddings, I would look at getting the 24-70 f/2.8L. The extra stop of light gathering it offers is often times critical in wedding environments (low light).

The 24-105 f/4L is a great lens and you could get by with it in low light. It's lighter and offers a little more reach on the long end. I've used both quite a bit and I prefer the 24-70 for shooting indoors and in low light. If you shoot youngsters indoors without a flash, you're going to want that extra stop of light too. I've found with my 14 month old son that I need to keep my shutter speed up to capture those special moments without motion blur. :) Kids move a lot and a fast shutter speed is critical.

It's something to think about.

Congrats on an amazing camera. You're going to love it.

thank you everyone for your suggestions.
I'm glad to hear that others have done well with the 50mm ... it means I don't have to go out and spend more money just yet ... :)

You sure? Any 50mm lens is good, they are usually sharp and they produce great bokeh. But your problem is the 50mm is a fixed focal length lens, if you want to get closer or farther from an object you will literally have to walk up. If your doing weddings you might need something with a different focal length.

Before you know it you will want to spend 1000$ on a lens. :lol:

Most reactions

Back