photoflyer

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
mikeatherton.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I am on the waiting list for the R6. I figure it is more than enough camera and with the savings of more than $ 1500 over the R5 I plan to get the mirrorless replacement for the 7D Mark II. As near as I can tell, however, that is still on the drawing board.

Is the there a Canon watersealed APS-C mirrorless today? I don't think the M series is watersealed. If the upcoming M50 Mark II were, that would work.

Are we looking at an RM in the next year: Mirrorless APS-C RF mount? I really don't care about the mount, as I will be mounting EF lenses but I do want to be able to take it out in the rain, kayak etc.

Last edited:
There are rumours of the new Canon EOS M7 with the following agin rumoured specs. Weather sealing hasn't been speculated on yet.
  • 32.5MP APS-C CMOS Sensor
  • DIGIC X Image Processor
  • 100 to 51200 (Extended: 100 to 102400)
  • Sensor-Shift 5-Axis Image Stabilization
  • UHD 4K60p / Full HD 120p Video Recording (10-Bit Internal Video)
  • Up to 12 fps (Mechanical Shutter) / Up to 20 fps (Electronic Shutter)
  • Dual Slot: SD/SDHC/SDXC (UHS-II)
  • USB Type-C (USB 3.1), HDMI D (Micro), 3.5mm Headphone, 3.5mm Microphone
  • Wi-Fi / Bluetooth

There are rumours of the new Canon EOS M7 with the following agin rumoured specs. Weather sealing hasn't been speculated on yet.
  • 32.5MP APS-C CMOS Sensor
  • DIGIC X Image Processor
  • 100 to 51200 (Extended: 100 to 102400)
  • Sensor-Shift 5-Axis Image Stabilization
  • UHD 4K60p / Full HD 120p Video Recording (10-Bit Internal Video)
  • Up to 12 fps (Mechanical Shutter) / Up to 20 fps (Electronic Shutter)
  • Dual Slot: SD/SDHC/SDXC (UHS-II)
  • USB Type-C (USB 3.1), HDMI D (Micro), 3.5mm Headphone, 3.5mm Microphone
  • Wi-Fi / Bluetooth

Thanks. I really need a viewfinder. I suspect they will come out with an R series APS-C that can use RF lenses as those are really the future. The replacement to the 7D Mark II is taking forever. Perhaps some are getting the 90D but so long as the experience with the R6 is good, I'll wait for mirrorless.

Looking at current trends in model "life spans" (they seem to be getting longer) the M6 Mk II is still new and the new sensor is a point of excellence. So I would be surprised if an APS-C version of an R camera would come out soon. Besides, the only reason to bring out an APS-C version would be a cost saving, and I don't think Canon could find a significantly lower price point than the RP by just replacing the sensor. And the RP seems to be selling well at its current price point.

Looking at current trends in model "life spans" (they seem to be getting longer) the M6 Mk II is still new and the new sensor is a point of excellence. So I would be surprised if an APS-C version of an R camera would come out soon. Besides, the only reason to bring out an APS-C version would be a cost saving, and I don't think Canon could find a significantly lower price point than the RP by just replacing the sensor. And the RP seems to be selling well at its current price point.

right, I think people buying the Canon M6ii and M lens want smaller and lighter, not lower cost

Hmmmmmm, some interesting points raised here.

I believe quit a few pro canon sports/wildlife shooters would carry a 1DX and somtimes a 7D Mark II. Besides features, what sets a pro camera apart, to me, is durability. Take it outside everday in nearly all conditions without worry. I don't see that yet in their APS-C mirrorless offerings.

A replacement for my 7D with all model, or newer? Perfectly satisfied with my original 7D.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

A replacement for my 7D with all model, or newer? Perfectly satisfied with my original 7D.

I thought about a 7D Mark II because everyone who has the I or II likes them. But, I have the R6 now and it is fantastic so I thought I would get its pro grade crop sensor sister. I can see taking both on a hike and being ready for everything from wildlife to landscapes in any weather.

Most reactions

Back