Why go full frame?

In simple terms if the image circle projected by "X" lens was a pie, then the FF sensor gets a bigger piece, and the Crop sensor a smaller piece, but the "pie" size doesn't change. Since I really like pie......I want the bigger piece. :chuncky:
If it were just that simple. Considering the move to medium format digital -- you get an even bigger piece?

I have two FF cameras (both mirrorless) and they're my least used cameras. Primarily because of size and weight, but also because in practical terms they offer no IQ advantage over my smaller cameras. If we do "the same photo" comparison the FF has less noise but in most of what I do my smaller cameras have no noise so what's the advantage of less over none? The FF camera's take "the same photo" with less DOF but I consider more DOF an advantage for what I do -- I usually pick up one of my smaller cameras.

it were just that simple. Considering the move to medium format digital -- you get an even bigger piece?

I really like Pie! If I was still doing a lot of paid studio work I'd go big in a heart beat, (Pentax, Hasselblad or Phase 1).

I currently have a canon 80D and was thinking of upgrading to a mirrorless. FF seemed to be the way I wanted to go, but I don't know if there is enough difference to make the switch. I started looking at the R7 but then thought I could get the R6 mark 2 for a little more money but as I started to compare them I didn't see that the R6 mark 2 was really giving me much other than FF. So I started to consider the R5 which it does bring more to the table but is it really that much more. Would the few advantages the R5 has be that much of a difference maker?
Yup, sounds like where I was 60 years ago. Chasing the latest innovations with the dollars I could hide from the wife. Relax and get good with what you have. After all, it is said. It’s not the equipment, it’s the operator. Patients young Padawan.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back