Canon Powershot SX40HS vs Sony Cybershot Dsc-HX100?

Which would you prefer?

• Sony Cybershot HX100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canon SX40HS

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

jonoh248

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm planning to buy a super zoom camera. I'm looking for virtually no noise while zooming in during movie mode, manual focus for movie mode, great manual controls for photo-taking. I like extra features like the miniature creative filter offered by Canon. I'd practically use any feature on a camera. So the more the better. I do like Sony's manual focus feature rather than Canon's. Not sure what else. I'm stuck between the two. Please help!

Jon

Hi Jon. I can only speak for the Powershot SX40HS. I own it and it's great. That sony looks pretty amazing too, for the 3D abilities and the price is about $50 cheaper right now. But I have to go with the Canon. I won Intel Visual Life with a Canon Powershot, so I'm kinda biased.
I just posted some work examples in another thread... I don't want to slam the forums with a ton of my content right away, but I'll post another video here after I tell you what I like about the SX40HS. It has those great creative filters you mention. I love the Miniature video mode! I do alot of super vivid, too. It has auto exposure bracketing for post processing HDR. I think the sony has the "better" video, offering 1080p at 60 frames (?) BUT, the SX40 does something unique. It records 1080 at 24 frames, which is the frame rate of theater movies, so it gives a cinematic quality that mystifies people.
Again, I don't know how the effects or menu system of the sony are, but I can say, with the Powershot changing settings is very friendly. One great thing I like is the instant video button. You can have the camera set to do photos in a certain effect, then decide to make a video.. just press record and the effect persists in video mode.. you don't have to rotate a dial or anything. I find it very nice for quick decision shooting.

ok, you can check out 2 other videos, showcasing mini mode and the super zoom at the end of this thread
And here is a recent video I made with SX40HS, showing Macro video in Vivid color.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my wife the sx40 because she really doesnt care anything about photography and just wanted a camera with a long zoom and a swivel lcd screen with video capability. Well this one does the trick if you dont care about lenses or sensor quality. Works good for inside without flash as well since at the wide angle end it has an aperature of f/2.7! Not bad.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back