Canon Question

Maybe, bu the lens mount is different and it might not fit.

EF-S will mount onto an EF camera, but bad things like knocking the focusing screen out can occur.

While the third party crop lenses will mount on full frame and APS-H cameras, Canon EF-S lenses will not. The ability to mount EF-S lenses is denoted by a white square next to the red dot on the lens mount, if it's not there the camera will not mount the lens. Some folks online have demonstrated modifications that allow them to mount lenses on FF/APS-H cameras, but, surprise suprise, they vignette heavily and on full frame you run the risk of shattering your mirror.

And I think you've got it backwards up there, APS-H is EF mount only, they won't accept EF-S lenses.

edit: you've corrected down here, ok... just wanted to make sure :)

So. The 5D uses EF lenses, which can be used on say, an EOS Rebel XS, perfectly well? Eggcellent. :popcorn:
Just wanted to be sure that I didn't point a friend down a dead end street. He was headed out to buy a low-end DSLR and looking for suggestions. When he mentioned that his sister has a 5D system, I recommended the Rebel and a kit lens, pointing out that he might "borrow" a lens from his sister "on occasion". I suppose his sister will hate me now... :twisted:

So. The 5D uses EF lenses, which can be used on say, an EOS Rebel XS, perfectly well? Eggcellent. :popcorn:
Just wanted to be sure that I didn't point a friend down a dead end street. He was headed out to buy a low-end DSLR and looking for suggestions. When he mentioned that his sister has a 5D system, I recommended the Rebel and a kit lens, pointing out that he might "borrow" a lens from his sister "on occasion". I suppose his sister will hate me now... :twisted:

Canon only currently makes 6 EF-S lenses from the last time browsing their website. They're probably eventually produce more an more, but generally most EF-S lenses don't have the quality that the EF lenses do. There's a few, but they're the exception, not the norm.

Correct on both points.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back