Canon Rebel II for class.

Felix0890

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
In a couple of months I'll be taking a film photography course at my university. I'm thinking of buying a Canon EOS Rebel II since I love the Rebel series. I got a couple of questions.

I see this camera is a tad bit more expensive than the other old used 35mm's. Am I right to assume that this camera is more modern than the other cheaper DSLRs? If so, is it worth paying a bit more (it's not too much more, $30-50 more is the average) for it?

Will any of my Rebel XSi lenses work with it? I know the lenses for 35mms are cheaper than the ones for digital but it would be great if my future lenses would work on it too.

Lastly, are there any better 35mm's that you would recommend over the Rebel II?

Thanks,
Felix

The EOS Rebel II (EOS 1000) will support all the EF lenses (but not, I don't think, the EF-S lenses which are designed for crop-sensor bodies).

Canon EOS 1000/Rebel* Manual

I say get an AE-1 :) thats what I used for my college film class, then switched to a Pentax SF-10

I say get an AE-1 :) thats what I used for my college film class, then switched to a Pentax SF-10

Those are the ones that the professor has up for display in his office. I thought about getting them but then saw the newer EOS Rebels and thought they'd have better features. Any particular reason to why you would go with that one over the Rebels?

Actually I think I just answered my own question. The AE-1 is small, so it won't take up too much space in my bag. I can get it for $50-70 including a bunch of lenses and accessories. And it's a classic and can be kept as a collectible after I'm done with the class. :)

Thanks

right size is a nice thing, plus its very manual. I miss my AE-1 and would like to run across another one in the futrue. I like my pentax too... BUT its too automatic for my taste, I think of a film camera and manual, without a lot of extra features. Thats just me tho. I believe one of my Ex's has my AE-1 lol

That's perfect. I want to learn on a full-manual, nothing-done-for-you style camera. Does the AE-1 have a built in meter? I could always use my digital as a meter for a while. :lol:

EF-S lenses will not fit any canon 35mm body.. and what do u mean the 35mm lenses are cheaper then the digital ones.. there all ef and they all fit both film and digital.. unless ur talking about the ef-s.. those arnt that expensive.. but those wont fit the 5d or the 1ds cameras or the 35mm cams for that matter

Most reactions

New Topics

Back