What's new

Canon Rebel Lense for Beginner

kterrell

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 28, 2009
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
Oxnard, CA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My husband bought me a Canon Rebel EOS xsi and it came with the EF 18-55. I am interested in purchasing another lense for a beginner. I am interested in shooting my kids and want to be able to do both shoot from far away (like while they are running on the beach) and also up close (like of cute noses and toes).

I guess I am looking for a lense that has multi-purposes but don't want to waste my money if I don't have too.
 
You might like the consumer grade 55-250mm.
It's cheap enough to give you an idea of what you will use most in the future, to focus your money on a better lens later.
I have enjoyed it very much.
 
Last edited:
Not so sure you should shoot your kids at any range. Isn't that illegal:lol:
 
Personally, I'd go with Bitter's suggestion. I have the 55-250, and it's a decent telephoto lens, for the price and the weight. It's bloody light, considering that in reality the effective focal length is 88-400mm (400!). Sure the IQ isn't as full of awesome as a 400mm L would be, but whatever; when it's that light and has IS too, it doesn't matter...unless you're a fanatic about IQ...which many photogs can be. :lol:
 
Actually...I got a chuckle out of it and that is worth it :lol:
 
Taking pictures of kids maybe better to use a fast auto focus lens such as Canon lens that has USM or Sigma lens that has HSM.

If you just want to buy one telephoto zoom lens around $700. EF 70-200mm F/4L USM may not be a bad choice. A fast prime lens such as EF 50mm F/1.4 USM or the 85mm F/1.8 USM are also a good choice in my opinion. They a little cheaper than the EF 70-200mm F/4L USM. So you maybe able to pick up the 55-250mm IS lens with the prime lens.
 
If you just want to buy one telephoto zoom lens around $700. EF 70-200mm F/4L USM may not be a bad choice.
Given her budget and what she's looking for, this is probably the best lens in terms of quality and price. The 70-200 f/4 is an amazing lens.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom