Canon Rebel T2i dSLR help!

igorcheb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Is the Canon Rebel T2i a good camera for its price? Can you recommended me anything else that has better performance but for roughly the same price? I have a $750 Walmart gift card and I want to get something from there. But I also heard that Walmart gift cards can be used at Sam's Club. I am looking for something that can take 1080p video and has a good amount of mega pixels. Here are some of it's specs:

18 Megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
DIGIC 4 processor with ISO 100-6400 (Expansion to 12800)
Continuous shooting at 3.7fps
Full HD movie recording with manual control and selectable frame rates
7.7cm (3.0”) 3:2 Clear View LCD with 1,040k dots
iFCL metering System with 63-zone Dual-layer Metering Sensor
Quick Control screen to change shooting settings
Exposure compensation +/-5 stops.
Select maximum value for Auto ISO
External Microphone socket
Movie crop function
Eye-Fi connected functions compatibility

Also, will I be able to connect this camera to my PC and record from there? Can I use it as a webcam in a way?

Last edited:
First off, the forum has a great search tool...really is great ;)

Now to some of the questions. Have you used canon before? Most people come down to the choice of a Nikon or a Canon.
Nikon equivalent would be the D3100 - D3100 from Nikon
Pick both up, play around, pick one.
Sorry i couldnt answer for the "webcam" question but my guess would be no.

I prefer Canon as the price for lenses are cheaper than Nikon. For D3100 you will need to buy AF-S lenses which means a motor within the lenses to have autofocus and they may cost a fortune. However, I like Nikon more than Canon :)

I have the 550D / T2i Myself.

All I can say is

Oh Em Gee.
Why don't you have it yet?

As for the webcam part, no Idea, but you can tether (controlling your camera from your laptop). The software is included on the CD which comes with the camera.

I am in absolute love lust with this camera.

Unlike previous versions of the Rebel, like the Xti, the sensor is large enough that the images are Crisp and you don't get noticeable nuisance Noise until 1600 ISO.

It is also a good Camera for infrared for when you'll [eventually] want to take some.
I have not noticed any Vignetting with the lenses I use. Even with a wide angle 10-20mm. More to the point, if you eventually want a wide angle lens, because it is not a full frame (issue with the mirror flipping up and breaking itself on the lens) you can purchase a good Sigma 10-20mm at a decent price.

Also, Live View mode! But after a few hundred clicks or less, you'll give way to the ocular. Live view slows you down and the amount of pics per second, which is important in RAW+Jpeg.

This is a GREAT camera especially if this is your first Reflex.
After just udner a year and some 4,305 pictures, my only complaint is that 3.7 pictures per second is not fast enough for me anymore. Yet, more Pics per second comes with a price tag attached to it.

Canon T2i / 550D.
Dooo eeeeet! And never regret!

Accessories you WILL want to purchase at the same time as your camera:
- Brush for the lenses and Filters (One of those two in one "Pens" work great)
- Air Blower for the lenses (and later Image sensor)
- Transparent plastic sticker card to protect your LCD Screen (This if nothing else)

Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys, I did quite a bit of research on this camera and I did have trouble finding something better than this for the price. Just check out this video shot with the T2i, STUNNING!

Though it has flaws, it's footage looks really nice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Unlike previous versions of the Rebel, like the Xti, the sensor is large enough that the images are Crisp and you don't get noticeable nuisance Noise until 1600 ISO.

The sensor size on the T2i is only 0.1mm larger in both directions than the Xti. That's only 1.2% more surface area.

A friend of mine uses the T2i mainly for filming and he raves about it. i have the T1i and LOVE LOVE LOVE it as well. you won't be sorry. DO IT!

The sensor size on the T2i is only 0.1mm larger in both directions than the Xti. That's only 1.2% more surface area.

As it was explainned, denser sensor, perhaps? Point is, less Noise.

"The above diagram shows how the Rebel T2i / 550D (like the higher end Canon EOS 7D) uses a gapless microlens design compared to the T1i to gather the light more efficiently. Likewise, the distance between the sensor and the microlenses has been reduced. The combination of these improvements in the T2i / 550D is lower noise levels at all ISO settings and higher pixel sensitivity compared to the earlier Canon T1i / 500D."

Less gaps between photodiods.

Last edited:
Is the Canon Rebel T2i a good camera for its price?
Yes
Can you recommended me anything else that has better performance but for roughly the same price?
No
I have a $750 Walmart gift card and I want to get something from there. But I also heard that Walmart gift cards can be used at Sam's Club.
I do not support Wal Mart.

I am looking for something that can take 1080p video and has a good amount of mega pixels.
How many is a good amount?

If you guys could take the time to do some research, that would be great! Any help would be most appreciated!
Why would I take the time to do the research when you won't?

Sir, I have done over 6 hours of reading/research on this subject. I wanted to see if anyone else came up with a different answer.

Sir, I have done over 6 hours of reading/research on this subject. I wanted to see if anyone else came up with a different answer.

If you had done 6+ hours of research you'd be able to actually consider the pros and cons of this model vs. whichever other model you are considering without relying on forum members (who are strangers to you) to do the legwork for you.
You'd also be able to explain a lot more about your needs in a camera beyond:
"something that can take 1080p video and has a good amount of mega pixels."

Sir.

If you guys could take the time to do some research, that would be great!

I'll get right on it!:lmao:
oh dang it Kmh you beat me too it.
ibtl

Lyonsroar, I don't understand why you are being rude when I have not done anything wrong. All I wanted is someone else's opinion and you are acting like I insulted you. Isn't this forum about discussing photography and helping each other out?

I thought I could find someone here who knows more than I do about this subject so that he/she would give me their input about this model.

I've said nothing wrong to you or anyone else so please, relax and stop trying to make people feel like idiots, I'm not here to create rivalry.

Most reactions

Back