Canon Rebel XSi

ANY modern DSLR can produce fantastic images. It isn't the camera that makes a great image, it is the photographer.

Very true! But as you've noted further down in your reply a good lens can make a big difference. Also I guess tracking and other body-specific assists can make a big difference too. You know, where it would be terribly difficult without said in-body feature.

The XSi is a great camera. I have been using 2 40Ds and recently sold one and ended up buying an XSi for cheap, just so I have a backup body. For the past two studio shoots, I was surprised to find that the XSi had incredible IQ compared to my 40D. In fact, I am now questioning why my 40D isn't near as sharp. Anyway, the extra couple megapixels are noticeable when cropping and looking into details. Having ISO in the viewfinder is nice (previous rebel models such as the XT didn't show it in the viewfinder). Having the settings displayed on the LCD is surprisingly nice (I hated the idea at first). The controls are surprisingly more intuitive than previous models such as the XT. I just wish there was an easy way to control flash exposure compensation, rather than hitting "menu, ...."

All in all, I would prefer the XSi over the 40D for the studio shots I'm currently taking (kids and families), but it's not quite balanced/heavy/feel-good enough to use it for hours at the race track. All in all, I'd say it's a killer value, since you can get it for about $667 brand new with a kit lens. I have been astonished with the results of this camera (paired with 70-200 f/2.8L IS), and think it is a great starting point, as well as a camera I will keep around.

XSi w/ 70-200 f/2.8L IS
379457071_DfYMY-X2-1.jpg

Thanks, Keith204. These are things I am interested in hearing. Thanks for posting a photo too - its a great one, by the way! I much appreciate yor inclusion of the lens you took it with too, it really helps me to learn more.

I just got my XSI about 2 months ago so i have not used it to much. This is also my first DSLR so i do not have anything to compare it to (other than my point N Shoot Camera...and it blows that out the water). I have a wide angle 10-22m...a 18-55mm...and a 55-250mm lens. Here are a few of my better shots.

The first 2 shots were taken with teh wide angle and the last 2 were taken with the 18-55mm

IMG_1305.jpg

IMG_1339.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

This last one was taken from teh Ground looking up at a light house (154ft tall) using full zoom with the 55-250mm lens
IMG_0411.jpg

Last edited:
The Xsi is a fantastic DSLR for a beginner and is the quintessential tool for someone just getting into photography and wants to go with Canon's line of lenses. Even the kit lens on the Xsi make for great photos, which is surprising considering all Digital Rebel models before the Xsi came with very poor kit lenses. The only thing that's different between the Xsi and the 40D is slower continuous shooting and somewhat poorer ISO performance on the Xsi's end. The 50D has better IQ at 100% magnification and is light years ahead of the Digital Rebel line in terms of ISO noise performance. The **D line also has a more professional build quality associated with it, though I feel this is more of a cosmetic/placebo effect for a photographer since, if you take care of your body, this aspect is irrelevant. The Xsi feels good in your hands and has a nice grip. With a good lens, you can get professional quality photos with it.

That said, years down the line if you do decide to shoot professionally or you want to take your photography to the next level, consider getting the 5D line so you can take full advantage of a full frame sensor, as well as stellar build quality, phenomenal ISO handling, 1080p recording, and who knows what else will be around for this full frame line by the time you choose to upgrade. I see no point in getting the **D line now that you've gotten an Xsi, unless you find that you're primarily shooting action and absolutely need the better continuous shooting. As for the 1D line, I would only consider getting one of these cameras if you are actually making money off of your photos and are making a career out of this, or if you're simply stinking rich.

Long story short, you made a good decision. Now it's time to become accustomed to photography, get some solid lenses (Do not cheap out on these is my best advice), and decide where you're going to go with this. The Xsi will likely keep you satisfied for a long time if you're just doing this as a hobby, and if you decide to go semi-professional, it can even still serve as a good back-up due to it's nice size and portability :)

EDIT: Also, if you want to see my photos, they're up on http://alexpylyshyn.blogspot.com I am currently limited to the kit lens however.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back