What's new

Canon T2i and newbie: A lethal combination?

allthingsapple

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 10, 2011
Messages
57
Reaction score
3
Location
Colorado
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

My official 2nd post to this site!

20 years ago I knew what I was doing behind the lens. Used SLRs, developed and printed my own photos, took every photo class there was in high school and college.

Fast forward: I'm coming off of 10 years pursuing (and finishing) my Ph.D. and am now ready to reignite my photography passion. Have taken shots over the years with a Nikon Coolpix 8800 (mainly on auto mode with a few minor, and easy, adjustments), but am wanting to really LEARN digital photography, shoot better digital photos, and just take it all to the next level (which will, of course, require some major dusting off the ol shelf of what I used to know).

I would like to buy a digital SLR and am seriously considering the Canon T2i...have read lots of reviews. If one were placed in my hands right now, I would have very little idea of what to do. But, I LOVE to study and learn and will sit down with books, manuals, websites, etc.

Any opinions on whether or not I'm "in over my head" if I purchase this camera? Any of you have one? Would I love the photo quality once I figured out how to use it?

And, does anyone know of a good book and/or online course designed to help people learn how to use this specific camera, especially those of us who haven't handled a "real" camera in quite awhile?

Thanks for any input!
 
Any opinions on whether or not I'm "in over my head" if I purchase this camera?

If you're committed to learning it, than no, you should be fine with this camera.


Would I love the photo quality once I figured out how to use it?

Depends on you and how well you advance. If you shoot in full auto mode with the kit lens, than no, I doubt you'll "love" the photo quality. It's a great entry level DSLR to be sure, but shooting in full auto isn't likely to produce images that are a huge leap in IQ over a decent point and shoot.

So it comes down to how well you as a photographer are able to manipulate and leverage the camera's (and lens's) capabilities. This camera certainly has the potential to create images that you'll love, but it's up to you to get it there.

And, does anyone know of a good book and/or online course designed to help people learn how to use this specific camera, especially those of us who haven't handled a "real" camera in quite awhile?

When I has an XSi I read the book "The Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi/450D Companion" by Ben Long and found it to be really good. Might be worth checking to see if he has one for the T2i.

Jason
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom