Canon T2i... Right purchase!? Basic questions...

Welcome to the forum.

1. This may have more to do with the lens I'm using...
I noticed when shooting at 18mm, my landscape shots seem to be "tilted"... The horizon seems to tilt. Is this due to the wide angle? Am I holding the camera wrong? Is it just a perspective issue? Sounds silly but I spent the morning shooting a sunrise, came home and noticed all my pics were... "tilted". I was shooting upriver so maybe that has something to do with it?
If it's tilted, then you weren't holding the camera level when you took the shot. Or do you mean that the horizon was bent (curved)? That could be distortion caused by the lens. A better lens might have less distortion, but it's not too hard to fix with software.

2. Speed... Didn't think this would be an "issue" but I have always wanted to capture a pic of my squirrel jumping and to be able to catch her mid flight. At best, I was able to get the shot but it was certainly NOT what I was hoping for. I thought I would have a slew of "positions" to choose from. Kind of like taking a burst of a golfer during his stroke. This camera only seems to want to capture him with his club up in the air and then maybe with the club on the ball. (didn't shoot that, just a thought) Did read that I can shoot at approx 4 frames a sec. thought I could capture more?
Two issues here. One is shutter speed. The way you capture motion in a photo, has to do with the shutter speed. A faster (shorter) shutter speed will give you less blur, but it also lets in less light...and you need light for your exposure. So to get a faster shutter speed, you need to compensate with either the lens aperture or the camera ISO. Your lens doesn't have a large aperture, so when you don't have a lot of light, you need to turn up the ISO to get those faster shutter speeds.
The other issue is frame rate (number of shots per second). 3-4 fps is pretty average for cameras in that price range. You would have to move up to something like a 60D, 7D or 1D (in the Canon line up) to be able to shoot faster.

3. Just read something about the T2i not being very good at shooting Jpeg's. The article reccomended keeping her on RAW. Is this something any of you have come across?
Shooting in RAW is the best option, but that is pretty universal and not something specific to that camera.

My advice to you, is to think less about the camera model or brand that you have (or want to get) and concentrate more on learning about exposure (shutter speed, aperture & ISO). A better idea for an upgrade, is usually the lens.

Thanx BIG MIKE!!! (I gotta learn how to "quote" just certain parts of a reply, not the whole thing...

I posted some examples of what I was talking about in reguards to the horizon being "leaning" to one side... Could you look at the pics and let me know what you think? I have a feeling I am just holding this camera off to one side but honestly... NEVER had this issue with any other camera. Maybe it just takes some getting use to? One would think, since I have been shooting for years with many different cameras, never having this issue before, that somethings up...

Ok, as far as shooting RAW... I noticed when I uploaded all my pics. That they are saying they are Jpeg's when I look at the file name. Am I correct in saying that a RAW file would say RAW not jpeg? I honestly haven't even had the time to read the manual and book I purchased on this system yet. So I'm sure it says it in there somewhere, just thought you might be able to help out BEFORE I tackle the reading... :mrgreen:

As far as making sure I have the "right" camera...
I agree with you... BUT, like I said... I want to grow with my system and before I get to vested into a particular camera, just wanted to make sure THIS particular T2i is something one could grow with... I learn preety quick and if Im already not pleased with, lets say... Frame Rate, then maybe it would be worth it to go ahead and drop the cash now on a model that DOES offer a faster frame rate...

Truth is... I wouldn't expect to have the need to shoot high frame rates all the time anyway...

A far as the other features go... Haven't played with them yet. Have ALOT to learn... Just didn't want to go and do something down the line as my skills improve and come to find out... NOPE! T2i doesn't let me do that.

Back in the day... One could get away with a simple pentax film camera and it was nothing to "learn" it... This whole DSLR world is a WHOLE new game (for me anyway)!!! It's not just about exposure any more huh!?!

Thanks again! Chad

What were your camera settings when trying to shoot the squirrel?

Only can tell you I had it set to "sports"... Brand new camera, haven't had a chance to learn anything on it yet. As far as knowing about shutter speed, aperture etc. I do have a basic understand but still have MUCH to learn!

can they be pottie trained?

Yes.. She will only "go" on newspaper... They aren't for everyone much like a parrot. They require lotsa care. You have to squirrel proof your home as they can't live in a cage. Some do keep them in cages but usually for their own saftey when not at home with them... I have many pics of her on Facebook if you or anyone would like to see more...

www.facebook.com/phillychad

just "friend" me and let me know your from this board...

I posted some examples of what I was talking about in reguards to the horizon being "leaning" to one side... Could you look at the pics and let me know what you think? I have a feeling I am just holding this camera off to one side but honestly... NEVER had this issue with any other camera. Maybe it just takes some getting use to? One would think, since I have been shooting for years with many different cameras, never having this issue before, that somethings up...

As my answer is the first page, I copy also here:

also my wife naturally leans on right when she takes pictures. It is something you need to think about, or you adjust after shooting with some PP.
By the way, feeling natural to be leaning can be due to the different size and button position in the new camera vs. before - you are used to a specific hands position that is no more valid.

Or also:
Using a dSLR makes you think more at what you are doing, because it becomes not only taking snapshots, but attempting something extra. So perhaps before this experience you did not consider leaning lines being a problem.

Ok, as far as shooting RAW... I noticed when I uploaded all my pics. That they are saying they are Jpeg's when I look at the file name. Am I correct in saying that a RAW file would say RAW not jpeg? I honestly haven't even had the time to read the manual and book I purchased on this system yet. So I'm sure it says it in there somewhere, just thought you might be able to help out BEFORE I tackle the reading...
Canon RAW files have the extension .CR2
RAW files really aren't even an image file, they are just the data package from the camera and you have to 'cook' them with software to get your image. When you shoot in JPEG mode, the camera actually does the cooking, but by shooting RAW, you can take control of that process and get the most out of your images.

THIS is an old article, but worth reading.

As far as making sure I have the "right" camera...
I agree with you... BUT, like I said... I want to grow with my system and before I get to vested into a particular camera, just wanted to make sure THIS particular T2i is something one could grow with... I learn preety quick and if Im already not pleased with, lets say... Frame Rate, then maybe it would be worth it to go ahead and drop the cash now on a model that DOES offer a faster frame rate...
Have a look at the 60D. It's got an articulating screen, faster frame rate and is more advanced than your Rebel.
I had a group of students, most with Rebels and one guy had a new 60D. It was clear to see that it was a more advanced camera. But of course, you can use any of them in auto modes, so don't be afraid of getting something too advanced.
I don't know much about the newer Nikon models, but I've been hearing that they are testing very well, in terms of image quality.

Thanxs guys! It's just the frame rate... I know I can "freeze" her more mid air with a higher shutter speed bit can use all the help I can get... I guess 3.7 FPS just sounded quicker then it really is...

So I'm thinking.... SLOW THE SQUIRREL DOWN! Maybe attach a rubber band to her hind legs like a bungie cord!?

Ha! :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

The 60D is sweeter.... BUT $500 more with the 18-135mm
The 7D costs $1800. w/lens :( maybe next year...

Im glad to hear it was just me on the tilted down to the right images... This I can learn to correct like you suggested. Does seem weird though... :confused:

So... as far as camera specific questions... Where should I post them? Ex. How to set the camera to shoot RAW.

I DO have more general newbie questions in reguards to photography so I guess this thread is for that?

Again, thank you SOOO much for your help! I can tell Im gonna like it here! :thumbup:
P.S. If you have any more questions about the squirrel, let me know... She gets a TON of attention over on Facebook and YouTube... I'd love to have ya's on over!
In the meantime, I have allready told a "friend" on Facebook about this place as we both posted over there seeking help and couldn't find any. She should be joining soon... :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

To set the camera to RAW, you just need to adjust the image quality settings.

You know - the thing with the little steps/curve - fine small, fine large, etc. The last option should be RAW.

As far as action mode - I think it automatically sets the drive mode to continuous (look up drive mode in the index of your manual), which is what you want for what you're trying to do.

It may just be that 3.7 FPS isn't fast enough...

I'm lost! I just can't seem to shoot a level picture with this camera... It doesn't get any simpler then that, right!?! I try using the auto focus points for a reference but I'm obviously missing something... ANY SUGGESTION!?! Here is an ex.

IMG_0534.jpg

It was also mentioned that I could crop this type of pic to "level" it out... Would I need a photo editor such as photoshop to do so? All I am using right now is the software that came with the camera...

Also, this camera is very small in my hands... I want to purchase an aftermarket battery grip. I'm thinking the larger grip might help me with this problem... What do you think, reccomend?

THANX!!!

I just noticed something... The grip on the T2i is on somewhat of an angle... Now obviously this is designed for comfort but I'm thinking... Due to my larger hands, I feel that its working against me... Also thinking that the larger size of a battery grip would put more "grip" or "handle" down in my palm, therfore "forcing" the cam upright? I'm not looking to blame something... I know that one must "learn" to use a DSLR but with that said... I have been using film SLR's (albiet NIKON) my whole life and have NEVER had this issue... Could it just be that this particular camera is not the right "fit" for me or is this something I should just try to "learn" to correct?

I really appreciate your opinions...

QUICK SIDE NOTE. maybe for a moderator.... I have other questions relating to photography. For ex. I want to purchase and learn PHOTOSHOP and would like some info... Would that be something I post here or start a new thread?

Most reactions

Back