What's new

Canon upgrade

dak1b

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 30, 2009
Messages
1,554
Reaction score
0
Location
Northern California
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello All!

So I'm really thinking about upgrading my canon rebel xs/1000D to the canon 1st gen 5D. I know its a difference between night and day when it comes to overall photography. and I really really really want the 15mm fisheye which looks awesome on full frame!!!!!:mrgreen: any thoughts on my idea to upgrade? I think I will get excellent usage of a full frame camera. I really want to start wide angle shots..landscape and what not.

thanks!:thumbup:
 
Well I'm in a similar boat, I want to get a 5D mk1 just to really see if I like the full frame. I'll probably keep my 40d too though. I have a sigma 15mm fisheye and it just doesn't quite do it a crop body, so the 5D will be awesome for that.
 
any thoughts on this upgrade? differences i'll realize right off the bat? looks like i'll get a "like new" condition canon 5d mkI for around $1300 body only with strap and software. good deal?
 
'I really want to start wide angle shots..landscape and what not"


I think you would be very happy with it.

Only one of the lenses that you have posted in your signature will work with the new camera...just a reminder.
 
'I really want to start wide angle shots..landscape and what not"


I think you would be very happy with it.

Only one of the lenses that you have posted in your signature will work with the new camera...just a reminder.

yes i'm aware the 5d doesn't allow ef-s models. thanks for the headsup though. the lens i plan on gettin once i get the 5d are: canon 15mm fisheye + a good prime prob the 1.4 and a descent all around lens. i've been saving up my pennies.
 
You have a nice lens already in the 100 f/2.8.

Remember that the new camera will really test the lens, so quality counts.


Glad to see you are able to save the $ and apply it towards something you really like.:thumbup:
 
If I was switching, I'd look at something like an 85mm f/1.8, 17-40 f/4, and a 3rd party lens in the range of 24-70 f/2.8 if you can't afford the Canon.

I love wide shots, but I recently got the 85 f/1.8 and I'm loving it.
 
If I was switching, I'd look at something like an 85mm f/1.8, 17-40 f/4, and a 3rd party lens in the range of 24-70 f/2.8 if you can't afford the Canon.

I love wide shots, but I recently got the 85 f/1.8 and I'm loving it.

i only buy canon lens. these are the lens i'm considering to start.

Canon 15mm fisheye
Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L


in that order...any thoughts on these lens. good choices to start?
 
I would definitely buy the 70-200 f/4-L ahead of the 28-135. I'm not sure what exactly is drawing you toward the now-old 28-135...it's a weird range of focal lengths to use on a 1.6x body. The 15mm fisheye is definitely the type of lens that puts a true "impression" on the images it creates, and so I can totally understand why you want that lens first. But after that, I'd definitely move to the 70-200-L lens so that you have a professional-grade lens that will outperform the 55-250mm in most metrics.
 
I would definitely buy the 70-200 f/4-L ahead of the 28-135. I'm not sure what exactly is drawing you toward the now-old 28-135...it's a weird range of focal lengths to use on a 1.6x body. The 15mm fisheye is definitely the type of lens that puts a true "impression" on the images it creates, and so I can totally understand why you want that lens first. But after that, I'd definitely move to the 70-200-L lens so that you have a professional-grade lens that will outperform the 55-250mm in most metrics.

ok thats what i'll do. thanks for the tip. i was considering a good prime lens? maybe the 50mm 1.4? also what lens would you suggest for an "all around" lens.
 
I am a canon 5d first and second generation user. I love my 50 1.4 Id love to get the 1.2 but my bank isnt quite there yet. I also have the 85 1.8 and Love that lens as well. I have started to use old NIkkor film lenses with a fotodiox adapter because the old nikkor film lenses are incredibly sharp and super cheap. Forewarning though they are not autofocus so if you need the autofocus not a good idea. I do alot of commercial advertising so I have the ability to mess with apertures and focus without the need for speed. Hope this helps.
 
I am a canon 5d first and second generation user. I love my 50 1.4 Id love to get the 1.2 but my bank isnt quite there yet. I also have the 85 1.8 and Love that lens as well. I have started to use old NIkkor film lenses with a fotodiox adapter because the old nikkor film lenses are incredibly sharp and super cheap. Forewarning though they are not autofocus so if you need the autofocus not a good idea. I do alot of commercial advertising so I have the ability to mess with apertures and focus without the need for speed. Hope this helps.

ya i never af..always mf for me. i like taking control. :thumbup: precision is key. i'll prob end up gettin the 50mm 1.4 prime...
 
What exactly are you hoping to gain from the full-framed 5D? Personally, I would save for a 7D instead of an old 5D. If you could live with buying a third party fish eye, you could get an 8mm Sigma and be wider than your 15mm on the 5D. Plus with the 7D you get some extra reach on your length with the crop facter, faster frames per second burst, and the durability and quality of a NON-rebel Canon, plus you could buy new with a full warranty. Are you sure you aren't just thinking that a full-frame equals prestige? I mean given that you "only buy canon lenses" and "only shoot manual" focus. I mean it sounds all a bit pretentious to me ( no offense). I mean if you are that worried about shooting landscapes, why not get a used medium format camera?
 
What exactly are you hoping to gain from the full-framed 5D? Personally, I would save for a 7D instead of an old 5D. If you could live with buying a third party fish eye, you could get an 8mm Sigma and be wider than your 15mm on the 5D. Plus with the 7D you get some extra reach on your length with the crop facter, faster frames per second burst, and the durability and quality of a NON-rebel Canon, plus you could buy new with a full warranty. Are you sure you aren't just thinking that a full-frame equals prestige? I mean given that you "only buy canon lenses" and "only shoot manual" focus. I mean it sounds all a bit pretentious to me ( no offense). I mean if you are that worried about shooting landscapes, why not get a used medium format camera?

if the 7d was a full frame i'd buy it in a heartbeat. i want a full frame camera and the cheapest full frame camera I could afford at the moment is a canon 5d mkI...because the mk2 is twice as much and is WAY out of my budget. I have a couple buddies that have a 5d mkI and I've used it. i really enjoy it! again full frame is my main concern here. And no I don't think just having a full frame camera = prestige. I like how full frame gives you extra perks that I can apply to my photography. Don't get me wrong, the 7d is an excellent camera...just not exactly what I'm looking for.
 
Last edited:
What exactly are you hoping to gain from the full-framed 5D? Personally, I would save for a 7D instead of an old 5D. If you could live with buying a third party fish eye, you could get an 8mm Sigma and be wider than your 15mm on the 5D. Plus with the 7D you get some extra reach on your length with the crop facter, faster frames per second burst, and the durability and quality of a NON-rebel Canon, plus you could buy new with a full warranty. Are you sure you aren't just thinking that a full-frame equals prestige? I mean given that you "only buy canon lenses" and "only shoot manual" focus. I mean it sounds all a bit pretentious to me ( no offense). I mean if you are that worried about shooting landscapes, why not get a used medium format camera?

if the 7d was a full frame i'd buy it in a heartbeat. i want a full frame camera and the cheapest full frame camera I could afford at the moment is a canon 5d mkI...because the mk2 is twice as much and is WAY out of my budget. I have a couple buddies that have a 5d mkI and i've used it. i really enjoy it! again full frame is my main concern.

But what is it that you like about it? I mean without cropping to 100%, other than maybe some color differences and such, you aren't going to notice any major resolution difference between your XS and the 5D. I am just trying to find if there is a specific reasoning behind your desire to go full framed. Also from what I have read, one downside to full frames on wide angle is they tend to have more light fall off at the edges ( vignetting ). Not sure how true that is, but just trying to give you as much info to go on. I am not partial to either format, just like playing devils advocate. I almost went out and got a new 5D due to "sensor envy" but realized that I should be able to get just as good shots with my T1i other than having to deal with the crop factor on lens choices.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom