What's new

Canon upgrade

What exactly are you hoping to gain from the full-framed 5D? Personally, I would save for a 7D instead of an old 5D. If you could live with buying a third party fish eye, you could get an 8mm Sigma and be wider than your 15mm on the 5D. Plus with the 7D you get some extra reach on your length with the crop facter, faster frames per second burst, and the durability and quality of a NON-rebel Canon, plus you could buy new with a full warranty. Are you sure you aren't just thinking that a full-frame equals prestige? I mean given that you "only buy canon lenses" and "only shoot manual" focus. I mean it sounds all a bit pretentious to me ( no offense). I mean if you are that worried about shooting landscapes, why not get a used medium format camera?

if the 7d was a full frame i'd buy it in a heartbeat. i want a full frame camera and the cheapest full frame camera I could afford at the moment is a canon 5d mkI...because the mk2 is twice as much and is WAY out of my budget. I have a couple buddies that have a 5d mkI and i've used it. i really enjoy it! again full frame is my main concern.

But what is it that you like about it? I mean without cropping to 100%, other than maybe some color differences and such, you aren't going to notice any major resolution difference between your XS and the 5D. I am just trying to find if there is a specific reasoning behind your desire to go full framed. Also from what I have read, one downside to full frames on wide angle is they tend to have more light fall off at the edges ( vignetting ). Not sure how true that is, but just trying to give you as much info to go on. I am not partial to either format, just like playing devils advocate. I almost went out and got a new 5D due to "sensor envy" but realized that I should be able to get just as good shots with my T1i other than having to deal with the crop factor on lens choices.

ok. a few reasons why I want full frame. to get the full effect of the 15mm fisheye, to shot landscapes and start printing images.
 
if the 7d was a full frame i'd buy it in a heartbeat. i want a full frame camera and the cheapest full frame camera I could afford at the moment is a canon 5d mkI...because the mk2 is twice as much and is WAY out of my budget. I have a couple buddies that have a 5d mkI and i've used it. i really enjoy it! again full frame is my main concern.

But what is it that you like about it? I mean without cropping to 100%, other than maybe some color differences and such, you aren't going to notice any major resolution difference between your XS and the 5D. I am just trying to find if there is a specific reasoning behind your desire to go full framed. Also from what I have read, one downside to full frames on wide angle is they tend to have more light fall off at the edges ( vignetting ). Not sure how true that is, but just trying to give you as much info to go on. I am not partial to either format, just like playing devils advocate. I almost went out and got a new 5D due to "sensor envy" but realized that I should be able to get just as good shots with my T1i other than having to deal with the crop factor on lens choices.

ok. a few reasons why I want full frame. to get the full effect of the 15mm fisheye, to shot landscapes and start printing images.

You can do all of that with the camera you have now ( other than get the actual 15mm out of that specific fisheye, which like I stated in the first reponses, would require getting a third party lens like the sigma ) You can shoot wide landscapes with a Canon 10-20 which would equal 16mm on your XS, just 1 mm over your 15mm. You can print with any camera. If you are wanting to print larger, you can get a copy of Genuine Fractals for $150 and blow your prints up to crazy sizes. Ultimately its your decision, I am just trying to open your eyes to other alternatives.
 
But what is it that you like about it? I mean without cropping to 100%, other than maybe some color differences and such, you aren't going to notice any major resolution difference between your XS and the 5D. I am just trying to find if there is a specific reasoning behind your desire to go full framed. Also from what I have read, one downside to full frames on wide angle is they tend to have more light fall off at the edges ( vignetting ). Not sure how true that is, but just trying to give you as much info to go on. I am not partial to either format, just like playing devils advocate. I almost went out and got a new 5D due to "sensor envy" but realized that I should be able to get just as good shots with my T1i other than having to deal with the crop factor on lens choices.

ok. a few reasons why I want full frame. to get the full effect of the 15mm fisheye, to shot landscapes and start printing images.

You can do all of that with the camera you have now ( other than get the actual 15mm out of that specific fisheye, which like I stated in the first reponses, would require getting a third party lens like the sigma ) You can shoot wide landscapes with a Canon 10-20 which would equal 16mm on your XS, just 1 mm over your 15mm. You can print with any camera. If you are wanting to print larger, you can get a copy of Genuine Fractals for $150 and blow your prints up to crazy sizes. Ultimately its your decision, I am just trying to open your eyes to other alternatives.

yes during this discussion you've questioned my decisions, which is fine. Its really made me think a bit about considering the 7d. i'm still thinkin about the 5D mk1 .....anyone else have other suggestions regarding 5D mk1 vs. 7d?

thanks!:mrgreen:
 
ok. a few reasons why I want full frame. to get the full effect of the 15mm fisheye, to shot landscapes and start printing images.

You can do all of that with the camera you have now ( other than get the actual 15mm out of that specific fisheye, which like I stated in the first reponses, would require getting a third party lens like the sigma ) You can shoot wide landscapes with a Canon 10-20 which would equal 16mm on your XS, just 1 mm over your 15mm. You can print with any camera. If you are wanting to print larger, you can get a copy of Genuine Fractals for $150 and blow your prints up to crazy sizes. Ultimately its your decision, I am just trying to open your eyes to other alternatives.

yes during this discussion you've questioned my decisions, which is fine. Its really made me think a bit about considering the 7d. i'm still thinkin about the 5D mk1 .....anyone else have other suggestions regarding 5D mk1 vs. 7d?

thanks!:mrgreen:

Haha. Don't get me wrong, I am sure the 5D is a GREAT camera for people that really need that extra resolution ( and could be a great camera for you also ), but there is a reason why people recommend glass over body upgrades. Since you would have to dump a lot of your glass if switching to a full frame, you are looking at doubling your cost. Why not just buy some high qaulity L glass. ( what was your friend shooting on his 5d? ) I bet if you hooked some canon "L" glass to your XS you would be blown away at what you are already capable of. ( although the XS is missing some good features like spot-metering ). Good luck, and hopefully someone else can chime in here and give some more advice.
 
1000 to 5D is a tremendous leap! Congratulations and you'll love the new camera :)
 
now i'm thinkin about just saving up for the canon 5d mkII. :drool: if I could get it for a descent price...less than 2k. I think it'll be def worth the extra money...just not sure. decisions...decisions...ughh prob just gonna stick with the 5D mk I so I can afford some lens afterwards.
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom