Canon XS: How do you zoom in?

bp4life71

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I thought the + and - buttons on the back of the camera did it using a motor.....do I REALLY in 2009 need to zoom in and out by hand? Really? Or do I have a defective kit lense (18-55)

Lenses should be zoom with the zoom ring on the lens.

The + and - sign are for digital zoom in or out when used in Liveview which is good for macro manual focus type shots or zoom in and out when you review the photo you took.

Last edited:
You have much better control over your zoom by hand and it's also much quicker. I would consider it a luxury. All DSLR camera have lenses that are zoom by hand.

LOL....i told you I was new! Too much point and shoot in my life. Thanks....I know alot are going to get a GOOD laugh at this....i'll leave the thread up!

I'm not going to lie but this thread just made my night. Hahahah, I guess it's a reasonable mistake I suppose.

I think it's time, this late in 2009, to reflect upon all the things we still do by hand.

:popcorn:

I thought the + and - buttons on the back of the camera did it using a motor.....do I REALLY in 2009 need to zoom in and out by hand? Really? Or do I have a defective kit lense (18-55)
Be thankful that the zoom is manually controlled...manual zoom is way faster than a motorized zoom would be (think of how painfully slow the zoom on P&S cameras are).

I have one of these cameras and am very pleased with it. One thing I have found if you go to youtube and search you will find a lot of videos showing hands on how to do a lot of stuff with the camera. I learn better that way sometimes.

Yes, you'll find it's much quicker and easier to physically zoom a lens, even if it takes you a little getting used to. Have fun :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back