Can't decide on my next lens.

Jace

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First off, I'm sorry. I hate these kinds of threads. Thing is, my mind is spinning with information from about five different places, and it's making me dizzy.

I enjoy shooting people, posing and such, but I also enjoy shooting events. I learned last weekend that snapping off a quick picture is key when people are moving around a lot, and I don't always have time to go from one lens to another, so I'd love a nice zoom lens that won't break my bank.

However, lol, at the same time I'd like to have something for those wide angle shots!

Right now I only have the 18-55mm kit lens that came with my 580, a 50mm prime lens, and a SAL75300.

I'd love some suggestions on what glass would be a wise investment for my next paycheck, if possible. Thanks!

I standard 12-24 wide angle will work well.
I'm sorry I'm not familiar with Sony's, but that 12-24 range will get you in the ball park of what you're looking for.

Jace said:
First off, I'm sorry. I hate these kinds of threads. Thing is, my mind is spinning with information from about five different places, and it's making me dizzy.

I enjoy shooting people, posing and such, but I also enjoy shooting events. I learned last weekend that snapping off a quick picture is key when people are moving around a lot, and I don't always have time to go from one lens to another, so I'd love a nice zoom lens that won't break my bank.

However, lol, at the same time I'd like to have something for those wide angle shots!

Right now I only have the 18-55mm kit lens that came with my 580, a 50mm prime lens, and a SAL75300.

I'd love some suggestions on what glass would be a wise investment for my next paycheck, if possible. Thanks!

If you want portraiture + action then third party 70-200 2.8 lens are pretty good l.

A sigma 70-200 f2.8 would be nice but the new versions are pricey. A sigma 17-50 f2.8 would be an great upgrade from the kit lens. An 85mm f1.4 would be good for portraits or you could get the 85mm f2.8 sam but the extra stops come in handy.

How much do you want to spend?

It is probably impossible, but I'd love to keep it under 500.00.

It is probably impossible, but I'd love to keep it under 500.00.

You could get a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 for less then $500. If you troll ebay daily you might luck up on a 70-200 f2.8 or a 70-210 f2.8 like i have cheap. I got mine for $525. You could get a "beer can" 70-210 f4 by minolta for about $150. I like the extra aperture of the f2.8 but for most things f4 is more then enough.

I use a Minolta Maxxum 28-135mm as my walkaround lens ... they should go for around $300.00

My wife has the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 ... but it is higher than your budget.

I ended up getting the 35mm 1.8 from sony, which is a really nice lens, and bought a 28-70 2.8 from ebay that I got burned on, since the gears are trash apparently.

The world seems to be progressively filling up with more and more **** heads.

Sorry to hear about the bad deal.

It was partially my own fault. He said that it made noise when turning on, or turning off. Turned out it grinded like hell anytime it focused to infinity.

I have a friend whos dad owns a camera repair shop, so he's going to try to fix it. Said something about having to actually make a gear for it, since you can't buy them anymore. If he can fix it he'll charge me 75.00, so I'll have about 125 in the lens.

It was partially my own fault. He said that it made noise when turning on, or turning off. Turned out it grinded like hell anytime it focused to infinity.

I have a friend whos dad owns a camera repair shop, so he's going to try to fix it. Said something about having to actually make a gear for it, since you can't buy them anymore. If he can fix it he'll charge me 75.00, so I'll have about 125 in the lens.

You should have known there was a problem when they only wanted $50. Thats not hardly enough for any lens except a old manual lens.

Most reactions

Back