Can't erase or format XQD card on D500

PJM

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have not been able to erase or format my XQD card through the menu system on my new D500. I follow the menu prompts and when I hit the OK button (on the left near the bottom) the menu goes away but all the images are still on the card.

I was successfully able to format the card using the two button method.

Anyone know the trick or what I'm doing wrong?

Operator error :grumpy:

One thing I have learned about Nikon camera functions is that you have to follow all the steps to completion of the various functions. The two-button format is relatively simple, quick, and easy, but using the Format option through the Setup Menu requires that you follow through all of the steps, starting with selecting the card you want to format (if you have cards in both slots. You might verify that you didn't just stop too soon.

Having said that...the D500 is a very complicated beast. I had not had mine too long when the flash system started behaving strangely...the whole process of doing the pre-flash, adjusting the exposure, then completing the shot was stretched out over a couple of seconds. This occurred with all of my flash units. Eventually, the flash system quit working altogether. I ended up calling Nikon Support, working through some diagnostics with them, and returning the camera for repair. Fixing it required replacing both the main circuit board and the flash circuit board and some interconnecting cables. Fortunately it was all repaired under warranty.

So once you convince yourself that things are still not working properly and that you are following the steps all the way through to the end, I'd suggest that you call Nikon service and determine whether your camera might need repair.

Thanks for your reply. After my success with the two button method I went back and tried again using the menu system. This time it worked as I expected. I'm not sure what was going wrong the first time but for now I will chalk this up to user error.

I don't really know how to fully understand this..but when i want to delete my photos on my d500 it asks me if i want to delete all images.. if i say yes.. nothing happens..if i say no they all get deleted.. i believe it is caused because camera should be upgraded with new upgrades.. sending mine in to nikon soon and letting them do it... I know this needs to be updated...Insert the memory card into the camera and turn the camera on. Select Firmware version in the SETUP MENU and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the firmware update. Once the update is complete, turn the camera off and remove the memory card. Confirm that the firmware has been updated to the new version.

Last edited:
I don't really know how to fully understand this..but when i want to delete my photos on my d500 it asks me if i want to delete all images.. if i say yes.. nothing happens..if i say no they all get deleted.. i believe it is caused because camera should be upgraded with new upgrades.. sending mine in to nikon soon and letting them do it... I know this needs to be updated...Insert the memory card into the camera and turn the camera on. Select Firmware version in the SETUP MENU and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the firmware update. Once the update is complete, turn the camera off and remove the memory card. Confirm that the firmware has been updated to the new version.
That sounds even stranger than what I thought mine was doing. Let us know if the update fixes it.

That sounds even stranger than what I thought mine was doing. Let us know if the update fixes it.
i will.. won't be for awhile.. cannot stand to part with camera...i will be sending it to nikon.. you can do updates from computer.. but i am afraid to do this.. just like a computer the d500 needs to update program.. ( never knew this but found out when d500 got a little wacky..} Look up Nikon D500 firmware updates

i will.. won't be for awhile.. cannot stand to part with camera...i will be sending it to nikon.. you can do updates from computer.. but i am afraid to do this.. just like a computer the d500 needs to update program.. ( never knew this but found out when d500 got a little wacky..} Look up Nikon D500 firmware updates
It's not hard to update the camera's firmware; Nikon gives you instructions on their website.

Last edited:
It's not hard to update the camera's firmware; Nikon gives you instructions. Basically you save the firmware update file (from Nikon) to the memory card for that camera (sd / xqd) then put it back in the camera (with camera off). You will get a menu selection to Upgrade.
can anything go wrong..because i will try it if it is safe.. thank you

... and thanks for the reminder to check and make sure mine is up to date.

can anything go wrong..because i will try it if it is safe.. thank you
When you pick your camera model from the list on the Nikon site, you should see three "tabs" - manuals, firmware and software. Under firmware, there will be a list of the latest version(s) - the D750 shows two. From there, go to the "View Download Page" to see what the update does, but towards the bottom are "+" tabs - look at the one for installation. PM me if you need more help - I should be able to guide you through it.

When you pick your camera model from the list on the Nikon site, you should see three "tabs" - manuals, firmware and software. Under firmware, there will be a list of the latest version(s) - the D750 shows two. From there, go to the "View Download Page" to see what the update does, but towards the bottom are "+" tabs - look at the one for installation. PM me if you need more help - I should be able to guide you through it.
thank you.. will do it later but thanks for being there if i need help

Most reactions

Back