Can't seem to mount a lens on D800

Heitz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.heitz.org
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, I have this ancient manual 50mm 1.4. It mounts on my D5100 no problem, but I can't seem to get it on the D800. Something feels like its blocking it from turning to lock in place. Anybody know why?

8041707825_1b3571901c.jpg

Heitz said:
Hey, I have this ancient manual 50mm 1.4. It mounts on my D5100 no problem, but I can't seem to get it on the D800. Something feels like its blocking it from turning to lock in place. Anybody know why?

Gotta convert it to AI

Heitz said:

Gotta convert it to AI

That explains why it won't meter, but not why it won't mount. It mounts on the D5100

Heitz said:
That explains why it won't meter, but not why it won't mount. It mounts on the D5100

Your D5100 doesn't have an AI tab. Unless I am wrong, mounting a non modified pre AIS lens on a camera such as yours can damage the AI tab.

DO NOT TRY AND mount it again!!! The "fat f/stop ring" on that era's lenses could damage the minimum aperture sensing pin, which is at 7 o'clock, on the front of the mount area. At 1 o'clock is the AI coupler. BOTH can be problems with non-AI lenses....

THe D5100 does NOT have either control, so it WILL MOUNT ANY F-mount lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back