What's new

Capistrano Beach. Just passing through. Critque welcome

Joined
May 11, 2014
Messages
401
Reaction score
194
Location
Southern California
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I started playing with long day exposure ghosting yesterday. Had another post which is similar but I wanted to get thoughts on this one. I have been visiting spots that I used to visit over the 41 years I have lived in South Orange County. My wife and I would watch sunsets from this look out point when we lived down the street 9 years ago. I have been thinking of how time passes and we change and get older but the views change so little. Like a time capsule of memories. Anyway I wanted to portray how we are just passing through and we are just a blink of an eye in the big scheme of things.

Thanks for looking and any thoughts would be appreciated.

15 sec, f13 and iso 100. Used a 10 stop ND filter


$Capo Beach  (1 of 1).webp
 
sorry, but I'm not getting what you want to portray with this gosting thing... and yes, I also mean it about your previous posted picture
 
Ok that's alright Maria but you don't seem to have anything good to say about anything I have posted? I know I am very new to photography but there is nothing positive to say about any pictures I have ever posted?
 
Ok that's alright Maria but you don't seem to have anything good to say about anything I have posted? I know I am very new to photography but there is nothing positive to say about any pictures I have ever posted?

Did I say something bad multiple times? sorry... I'm not as usuall these days...

I'm gonna go to your profile and find threads you've posted and I'll give you something positive on your pictures. If I don't do it right now, I'm gonna do it in a couple of hours, because I have to go now.

So I'm a bad guy here...I feel bad now... :(

in the meantime, someone nice will come and say something nice, for sure... so don't mind me...
 
Not the "bad guy" and don't feel bad it was just a question. You don't have to go back and post something you don't actually feel but it just seemed odd that I have seen you post on a lot of my threads but don't seem to like anything I do. Nothing wrong with that but just seemed odd that you would continue to post but not find anything positive to say? Not fishing for just pats on the back but I try to post on pictures I see something I like that I think could be improved. If it's completely 100% not my cup of tea I tend to not post anything because I don't feel the shot can be improved by my input. I have seen posts here that I just didn't get and other people just loved it. I don't get it so I don't have anything constructive to add. I post to get constructive critiques and that usually would include something along the lines of I like this part but these parts could be better because XY & Z is what I would do. Don't sweat it it's an open forum I was just curious.
 
I post short comments now, it used to be different. I will post what I think it could be improved but I won't explain much. Sometimes I will but sometimes I won't.

For this shot... I really don't see ghosting the way you do, and I could surely find some nicer words to say that but, the point is, I don't see it that way. Gosting gives me a very serious feeling of losing someone.
The angle of the shot is something I would do different if it were mine picture. I would shoot a bit lower and move myself to the right. If I want me and wife and the see I would choose a different spot/place.

I haven't seen your threads yet, but I will.

Positive about every picture or person here is that they/we are learning. Me liking something is not helpful. Me saying that I don't really get what you wanted, tells you that someone else will have a different opinion and the message you wanted to give is not clear enough.

I tend to say more negative stuff just because the person who posted the picture should work on that things... but... the truth is... it's jmho, ignore it.

Your response tells that you do want to learn and if you stick around you'll get some really good advices from others who are willing to say more and say it nicely.
 
Ok... went there and found that I commented on four other shots of yours. I stand by my words and I'm sorry I can't offer you more. Other commented and I actually think you got some really nice comments.

You're on your path in learning photography. When I was at the beginning (not implying anything about you here) I wanted people to tell me what's wrong, because I need to learn how to overcome that. So, I do the same when commenting on photos of other people.

I won't comment on your pictures anymore because my way doesn't suit you and that's perfectly fine. I'll let others do commenting.



1
- as above. taken like this it's a fine tourist's snapshot
- think more about composing the scene. What do you want/need in the foreground?
- choose a different time of the day. Observe light and how colors are changing in relation to the time of the day

2
I have nothing smart to say... just give me few lights, night and sky and I like it! so I'm completely biased

3
too cool and too saturated for me, but that's jmo

4
way over saturated... back off a bit with the colors

did you add vignette... if you did, why?


of course jmo
 
Ok I understand now I was just curious if there was anything you did like about my photos. I never said you were wrong since art is just opinion anyway and how you critique is again a personal thing. You're welcome to post comments if you like and I wasn't trying to tell how you should critique (may have come off that way). Again I was just curious to know if you did like anything? It helps me to know what people don't like and like and both I may or may not agree with. Thanks for taking the time-
 
it's ok... this was my first situation like this...

Here's a thing I like, I like your attitude ;)
 
I think the dream/ghost images add imagination to this pics. It's fun and off the wall. Great pic imo
 
Yes, I like the ghosting too. And I completely get it, the relative shortness of our lives. Best be getting out there and doing it! We're not even guaranteed tomorrow, and it's always later than you think.
 
I think the dream/ghost images add imagination to this pics. It's fun and off the wall. Great pic imo

Thanks Bamps. It was fun shooting it too. I would be telling my wife after I click I'll count to 3 and hurry up get in position and then sit very still. Had to do about 5 shots each waiting a second longer. 2 seconds out of a 10 exposure is where we made the move into this photo.
 
While I get what you are after - and its a decent to good idea, the photo is put off track by a technical issue, at least in my eyes.
Your torsos are suitably 'ghosted' because the background is dark and varied but your wife's legs have almost their natural color because of the white wall background.

Desaturating just her legs helped some but it still isn't a perfect result.
Good try, all the rest of the technical stuff worked out OK.

1wl2.jpg
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom