What's new

Car Meet. (BMW, Audi, VW, subie)

Great series. Love the different angles.
 
nice work, all well lit and good comps....I like your use of local contrast to bring out more depth in the subjects and the muted tones in the colour shots suit the enviroment.
 
#1 here is easily my favorite. Excellent shots all around.

And..of course...great subjects!

I think I'm going to take my old 85 Volvo out one day for a fancy photoshoot. :-D
 
In #2 shot, you should've had the wheels on the BWM face the other way so you can see the rim. Other than that, they're great! :)
 
Yeah, he was actually moving the car in to place in #2 for #3. I just happened to like the composition of the two cars so I snapped it. If I was setting up that photo it would be different. Glad you like them.

Makes more sense now that it was a spur of the moment thing! I do agree the composition is awesome in that shot. Again, great shots and cars! :thumbup:
 
Super series, the cars really stand out nicely from the background.

Can we please have some info about the lens/settings used? :)
 
Super series, the cars really stand out nicely from the background.

Can we please have some info about the lens/settings used? :)

Sure, the equipment I used varied a bit. For image #1 lighting I used 3 580EX's and a large strobe w/ softbox. Canon 5D w/16-35 f/2.8 L

All the others were taken with a canon 5D or a 1D MK III and a 70-200 f/2.8 L IS or a 24-70 f/2.8 L both with a hoya CIR POL. I shoot in Manual so the settings varied. Usually ISO 50 f/2.8 @ 1/60


The editing in photoshop is really simple also.
on all of these I used the same technique with little variation.

I started by taking the image to a second blank document. I use channels and levels to get the image to a B&W tone that looks good to me. Copy to a second layer and set to overlay. Filter>highpass>adjust the slider till the ground looks really really sharp. Flatten the image and copy then paste the image onto the original as a new layer (I know of other ways to do this with out starting a new document. this is just easy for me). I enter a quick mask and paint out the car at 100%. Adjust the opacity of the new B&W sharp layer so color comes through at a level to your taste. Now sarpen the car using unsharp mask to your taste. now merge again to a second layer>set to soft light>and desaturate the layer. This will add some muted color an contrast. Adjust opacity to taste and you're set. :thumbup:
 
nice work, all well lit and good comps....I like your use of local contrast to bring out more depth in the subjects and the muted tones in the colour shots suit the enviroment.

Thank you. That was the look I was going for. I got lucky with a nice overcast day so the train was naturally a little more flat light and easy to create contrast. Really makes the cars pop.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom