Car photoshoot attempt

^You cannot post other people's pictures. Regardless of who you give "props" to.

And you CAN get good photo advice on car forums...you just gotta know where to look...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1263892]Member's Car Gallery - NASIOC[/URL]
I think we've covered the OP's issues with his picture in enough detail. I would only rehash what's already been said.

To get you back on topic, I think most of the images have like a white haze over them. I don't think this is something you added. It kind of looks like you had the ISO set too high, but since you were using a flash maybe not. Based on the grain from the street light in #1 I am going to lean towards ISO.

Most of the pics have junk in the background, houses, random curbs, etc. Get away from backgrounds that don't make sense to a car. if you want a house, then it's usually going to be something crazy like a mansion to give the pic that "rich' feel. We have a mall that I usually go to for my car pics, at night the lot's completely empty and it's surrounded by hills. the top of parking decks are good too since you can just use night sky.

The last one I think is the best framing wise. It still sucks that you have that noisy background and haze going on.

I have a friend that does a lot of car photog. Not sure if he's on these forums or not, I know him from a car forum, go figure lol). Anyway, if you are going to get big into car pics then they make stands that you can attach to the car to get moving shots that come out amazing. Not sure where you would even begin to look for the stands though. Might be worth the investment if you're planning long term.

Thanks. Good info here.
Do you have any more input?
haha not to like force you to write, but if you have anymore cents to add your 2 cents, I could definitely use them.

You've gotta love people taking their forums WAY more seriously than they should.

I don't really have anything else. I've been looking for an article i read on car photography but I can't seem to find it anywhere. When dealing with cars it seems to be a completely different world. I would just suggest that you google some tips on shooting cars, composition, lighting, etc. I remember from the article I read that weird angle's are something that is supposed to add alot of character. Setting your tripod way up in the air for a downward shot or getting it right on the ground for that "towering" shot for example.

Watch for reflections. Almost every part of a car throws a reflection so it's sometime tricky (or sometimes just has to be photoshopped out). More than once I have been hours into processing a shot and then realized that I could see myself with the camera plain as day reflecting off of my door.

This is a shot I took of my car that my car forum people loved using the "weird angle" technique. Not sure what people would say about it on here though >.<

I used to have that car..he need to invest in wider fender....

No one's addressed the real issue here, which is the lighting. Car lighting can be done with speedlights, "studio" lights that you can put larger modifiers on are where it's at.

The first rule of car lighting club is...

The mirror. Every single car that doesn't have a flat paint job or paint where the clear coat is so effed that it's no longer shiny is going to ge a colored mirror. That's the first two problems you have to take into account. The color of the car determines how the lighting is going to be affected. I'm sure you learned that black absorbs light and white reflects light? The darker the car, the more light it's going to absorb where a lighter colored car will have a more diffuse reflection and will make better use of your light. When you get a completely black car, you're lighting by pretty much reflection only.

Issue number two, the mirror. You flashes were aimed at the ground, so any idea what happened in the image? You have a photo of a car with the ground reflecting in it. That's why everything above where the angles start to move away from the ground is not lit. That part of the car is reflecting the sky and what color is the sky in your photos?

All those professional photos you see are generally done by reflecting light off of white panels angled to properly light the car or by lighting through large sheets to diffues the light.

Check out light science and magic, and go look on Flickr. There's groups dedicated to light cars and showing their setups. Also, there's a thread at www.photography-on-the.net/forum that's dedicatedto car lighting.

I don't really have anything else. I've been looking for an article i read on car photography but I can't seem to find it anywhere. When dealing with cars it seems to be a completely different world. I would just suggest that you google some tips on shooting cars, composition, lighting, etc. I remember from the article I read that weird angle's are something that is supposed to add alot of character. Setting your tripod way up in the air for a downward shot or getting it right on the ground for that "towering" shot for example.

Watch for reflections. Almost every part of a car throws a reflection so it's sometime tricky (or sometimes just has to be photoshopped out). More than once I have been hours into processing a shot and then realized that I could see myself with the camera plain as day reflecting off of my door.

This is a shot I took of my car that my car forum people loved using the "weird angle" technique. Not sure what people would say about it on here though >.<

It looks like your car is going to fall off the screen. Disconcerting. Not working IMO.

yea im bad about that too. we just see a lot more than a picture of a car...
u bring up a good point about talking about the car distracting from advice, but a person doesnt learn much either when somebody just says "they suck."

No problem. You are quite right on both points. I can be bad about it too especially with puppies and girls :) And, yes, "they suck" doesn't help much. Just trying to get you guys attention and back on track. We are on a photo forum not on a car forum.

It's my thread, so who cares?

@c.cloudwalker
I like the words though
It's harsh and there are no tips since you're a hater, but I like haters when it comes to photography
It helps in my opinion.
I'm a big believer in the idea that 'if you aren't good yet, you have to be told so straight up."
Just as 'singers' on shows like American Idol that you would consider to be horrid, they truly believe that
they can sing good, because their friends and family would always tell them how amazing they were.
You don't grow when you're treated like an infant.

But what about me posting pictures of this car shows I'm more into cars than photography?
You're just judging a book by it's cover.
It doesn't matter what the subject is.
And just because I comment about the car, doesn't mean I'm not taking in the tips people are throwing in.

If someone tells me something I don't always reply with words. It's not always necess

You are right, it's your thread and you do whatever you want with it but if you want the really good advice you will do what you have to do to get it and that might involve stopping people short when they derail your thread into a car talk... just in case some of us here shoot cars but are not totally in love with them.

And both of you seem to have missed the main part of my post, ie the part where I said I shoot cars almost daily. Maybe I have something to teach you. Maybe.

And both of you seem to have missed the main part of my post, ie the part where I said I shoot cars almost daily. Maybe I have something to teach you. Maybe.

Truth is I think you have a lot of good info for me, but I haven't gotten it yet.
If you have time, maybe put some of your own input?
We can disregard the pictures i posted, but maybe input for future use?

Is there anything I need to be careful with when leaving the plates on?

No. Your vehicle is seen by thousands of motorists a day. It's just a myth.

This. It drives me crazy when people take the license plates off their pictures. Do you also leave your car in the garage for fear of someone seeing it? When parking at work do you take your license plates off just in case someone is roaming around the parking lot??

As for the pictures...I can't get past the car, I'm sorry. Those are the most hideous rims I've *ever* seen on a car, bar none. The camber of the wheels (at least the rear ones...can't see the front) is unbelievable (horrible lowering job), and the rims actually stick out past the tires...there's a reason people don't do that. After your first stray rock or pebble that's kicked up by the car in front of you ruins one of your $2,000 rims you'll understand. Oh, or a pothole...since you don't have even the slightest bit of cushion from the sidewalls.

In short, this car is pretty much everything I hate about the tuning scene. Completely over the top cosmetic modifications which actually are a detriment to the performance and longevity of the car itself.

Is there anything I need to be careful with when leaving the plates on?

No. Your vehicle is seen by thousands of motorists a day. It's just a myth.

This. It drives me crazy when people take the license plates off their pictures. Do you also leave your car in the garage for fear of someone seeing it? When parking at work do you take your license plates off just in case someone is roaming around the parking lot??

As for the pictures...I can't get past the car, I'm sorry. Those are the most hideous rims I've *ever* seen on a car, bar none. The camber of the wheels (at least the rear ones...can't see the front) is unbelievable (horrible lowering job), and the rims actually stick out past the tires...there's a reason people don't do that. After your first stray rock or pebble that's kicked up by the car in front of you ruins one of your $2,000 rims you'll understand. Oh, or a pothole...since you don't have even the slightest bit of cushion from the sidewalls.

In short, this car is pretty much everything I hate about the tuning scene. Completely over the top cosmetic modifications which actually are a detriment to the performance and longevity of the car itself.

He asked for C&C on the pics, not the car.

The car is a style called Hellaflush. The wheels are angled like that for a reasons, it's not just a bad lowering job. Chances are the car is a trailer queen for car shows, or weekend warrior, anyway. There's no over the top cosmetics on this car at all either, besides the seats, wheels, and suspension this car pretty much looks stock. Over the top would be giant wing, 900 stickers, fart can exhaust, etc.

Thread derailed again, and likely abandoned. Hopefully the op just isn't scared away by the negative comments...

He asked for C&C on the pics, not the car.

The car is a style called Hellaflush. The wheels are angled like that for a reasons, it's not just a bad lowering job. Chances are the car is a trailer queen for car shows, or weekend warrior, anyway. There's no over the top cosmetics on this car at all either, besides the seats, wheels, and suspension this car pretty much looks stock. Over the top would be giant wing, 900 stickers, fart can exhaust, etc.

Thread derailed again, and likely abandoned. Hopefully the op just isn't scared away by the negative comments...

Just to throw it out there,
It's daily driven
It's more realistic in parts of Cali to be this low not on bags.

I guess this thread has gotten enough information.
I'll research more and take in what you have all told me.

More input is appreciated but not necessary.
I will try to let this thread die by not replying as much
You can always just personal message me.

Thanks guys

Most reactions

New Topics

Back