Car Picture... C&C please!

benp2k6

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.benpphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Trying to get a good night time shot of a car these days is just not easy. In doing this I realized how much 9/11 has changed our world. Everywhere I went I was ran off by security... it's like jeez! I wasn't around in the '50s, but from my understanding life was so much simpler!
/rant

Here is the picture. I know the subject is not in the Rule of Thirds, but the most important rule in the rule of thirds is to ignore it! right? :mrgreen:

DSC00860.jpg

And, Exif info...

DSC00860-ExifInfo.jpg

Hello,

The car is nicely exposed. However, the lights are very distracting! Next time you attempt this I recommend you take one photo for the lights and another for the car. Then merge and mask in Photoshop so the lights are not so bright and blown out. The flags wouldn't be so crazy either. Nice attempt though!

It's just not 911 there are a buch of reason I as a owner of a property chase away unwanted people or cars from a area. Here at work there is a parking lot where one car started parking then we the people seen a car staying over night it makes them think its ok for them to do it. Now there is a problem with the area residents using the lot from everying to car repair, free long term parking, dumping gargabe when they clean there car, and even sex judging from the amout of used codems found on the ground. So sometimes you give people a inch they take a foot. Sorry for the rant but there is another side and its not just cuz of 911.

Now back to your photo. I think its kinda dark, Maybe a flash or using the light in the area better could have fixed it. The sutter being open so long made the flags look bad on the poles and may have made the trees and grass not look as sharp for that reason. Love the car by the way!

That's a really interesting green. The car is almost a creamy lime color.

You might also need to clean your lens too, it seems a bit dirty form the flare of the lights.

The flags and the moving leaves in the background really bother me. The pic would be really great if it weren't for the motion distraction.

Thanks for the feedback! Heck, I can agree with your argument, but it made me feel like I was doing something "bad", while I was just simply trying to take neat photos.

I left the shutter open that long on purpose, for the flags. After I got home I realized the trees were swaying as well.

I'll be sure to take some under/over exposed pics to merge/mask them in PS next time :)

Here is a peek under the hood :)

DSC00898.jpg

The flags and the moving leaves in the background really bother me. The pic would be really great if it weren't for the motion distraction.

This is the general consensus thus far!

C&C on the pic below? I haven't taken out the electric line in the bg, so lets not consider that eyesore.

DSC00849.jpg

anything upgraded with the turbo?

I like the picture I would have moved the car over so you were blocking both lights. maybe they would have been to strong than. But out of all honesty, bring something to diffuse the light next time. Also I wouldn't park the car that close to the lights.

^ first picture comment

the other one with the electric line... make the colors pop a little more and I think it will work. There is a blueish hue though, from the parking garage lights.

I have another sugestion, turn the steering wheel all the way to the right, then position the wheel spokes so that the brake caliper is shown off. I have done quite a few of these shots. I also prefer the lower angle of the first pic over the last.
BTW nice car

First things first...what mods?

Now that thats out of the way...pay attention to lights and any kind of motion since you're going to be using slower shutter speeds. Also, just a pet peeve of mine, I can't stand poles sticking out of things (such as the middle flag pole).

I have another sugestion, turn the steering wheel all the way to the right, then position the wheel spokes so that the brake caliper is shown off. I have done quite a few of these shots. I also prefer the lower angle of the first pic over the last.
BTW nice car

My friend & I debated this. He wants to show of his rotors/calipers but we had to be quick before security chased us away haha.

First things first...what mods?

Now that thats out of the way...pay attention to lights and any kind of motion since you're going to be using slower shutter speeds. Also, just a pet peeve of mine, I can't stand poles sticking out of things (such as the middle flag pole).

I'll have to get him to send me his mod list. And I agree with your pet peeve, but how would you have shot it differently. We were limited at that location b/c it was a circular drive and not much space.

My friend & I debated this. He wants to show of his rotors/calipers but we had to be quick before security chased us away haha.

I'll have to get him to send me his mod list. And I agree with your pet peeve, but how would you have shot it differently. We were limited at that location b/c it was a circular drive and not much space.

I would have used a different location.

The car has a slightly larger than stock turbo; it just got finished with the front mount intercooler. It is putting down ~290 whp on dynodynamics awd dyno. :lovey:

thats it? :S

edit: wrx right? you shoulda went for sti

Your WB is off in both photos. It looks like your car is being illuminated by flourescents and you didn't change the WB. Auto WB really isn't. It only works in a certain Kelvin range and it's not always very accurate. Plus you have the car under exposed in the first shot, probably because your camera was metering off the background.

The 2nd is still just a little dark. Good night time car photography is difficult. If you're really interested in how to "properly" light a car just ask...it can end up with a really long reply though.

Most reactions

Back