Car Talk

very clean TEG nate, i feel you on the swirls, black cars are the the best when they look good but are the worst when they look like crap (my R is black)

06 350Z Roadster :)
12DEC070052.JPG

As some people here know I now have a VW Polo to replace the tired Golf, and it's green!

Oh yeah and it's a rally car with high suspension & knobbly tyres!

For the benifit of Hertz it also goes vroom, vroom at tickover and grrrr, barrrrp in anger! :lol:

Now I gotta go out & finish adjusting the brakes for an event tonight. Always something left till the last minute!:x

OK, I'm here. Whatcha got???

Here is where I see the car industry going in the USA...The Big 3 (Ford, GM, Chrysler, now without Mercedes) put all their eggs in the SUV basket. Meanwhile, the Europeans have been perfecting the small displacement, clean burning diesel. The Asian companies have been developing diesel (Honda, Subaru) and Hybrid (Honda, Toyota, it's a farce but a good marketing ploy).

So now that oil is edging on $100 a barrel and gasoline prices are hovering around/above, depending on location, the $3.00/gallon mark, people can't afford to top off their road mamoths. My brother's Suburban costs him well over $100/week to fill up. So people are starting to research better, more effecient alternatives.

Sales of the Mercedes BlueTech diesels have been outpacing supply. VW had the same problem with the Jetta TDI in 2006 (new emisions regs caused them to sit out a year to retool the car for the new engine).

Unfortunately for the American comsumer, the Big 3 haven't done anything. Sure they came out with hybrids, but they were hybrid SUVs!! And they fail miseribly!!

So what needs to happen? Well every company needs their halo car so, Ford can keep the Mustang, Chevy can keep the Vette and the Camaro, Dodge can keep their Viper. But they need to start building REAL effecient cars. None of this "FlexFuel" crap. No Hybrids. First they need to educate the American public about clean diesel. There is still too many people here who think that all diesels sound and smoke like the crappy diesels that GM put out in the mid 80's Then just start importing your compact diesels from Europe and rap them in some great looking bodywork. Put in a well appointed interior and they will sell a TON of them.

Will this reduce out dependance on foreign oil. Not much, but it will allow us to burn less of it. Reducing our foreign oil addiciton is more of a political debate instead of a economical one. I don't discuss politics on the internet.

So, there you have it. How to save the Big 3 in only 3 steps.

Once again, I posted a rant. I need to wait until I have some coffee before I start posting again!!!

Here's my attempt at car talk: I DON'T GOT ONE!

:(

I just drive a standard German car ... no modifications. But it gets me to places well in time on German motorways :)

oh, and I'd love to have a really old Landrover, and some Aston Martin :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back