Carrying a big telephoto.

tecmic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.calnemac.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I was looking for advice on how best to carry a large lens about on a long shoot. My search brought me here but the posts I got were dated 2008! I suspect things might have changed since! Guys were mostly saying they used shoulder straps and let the lens hang off the camera body. I'm not a great fan of that idea as, with a big telephoto...say a 100 - 400 zoom, it puts a big strain on the camera mount over time, especially in the lighter camera bodies and can even damage them.

I've found a strap system which looks like it deals with that problem. Take a look...Just Ltd - DeluxGear™ Lens Cradle

Admittedly, I haven't tried it yet...I'm going to look at it tomorrow but I like the idea. Anyone else got any input?

Mike.

Standard shoulder straps attach to the lens tripod collar quite easily, then you know the weight is in a safe place.

Understand, but that's a single attachment point...there's no stabilisation. The kit is far more likely to swing about and maybe hit something? I know...I should be more careful! I'll agree, the DeluxGear system is a bit fussy and might get in the way on occasions but it seems to provide a safer method.

Last edited:
One of my main lenses is the Sigma 50-500mm and it weighs a ton. It comes with a pretty standard strap, which is attached to the tripod mount. Whenever I use it I just carry it by the lens strap and I've never had a problem at all, and I'm not even all that deliberately careful. That lens cradle you've linked looks a bit over-elaborate to me to be honest.

Mmm... Ok, not exactly desperate to spend £50 on the DeluxGear strap so I'll replace the tripod mount on the Canon 400 tele/zoom (I don't use the tripod much) and try the lens strap approach.

Update:
I've decided to go with a Black Rapid RS7 strap. Let you know what I think.

Mike.

Last edited:
When i'm shooting with my 300mmF2.8L which is a lot heavier than uthe 100-400 it is on a monopod over my shoulder i can go all day like this or i have a strap on the 300 but i dont think the 100-400 has lugs for a strap

Hi gsgary, no, it doesn't have strap lugs, but the Black Rapid has a threaded connector to screw into the 400's tripod mount collar, which is why I said I'll replace it!:sexywink:

Mike.

If the tripod collar comes off as easy as they do on the 70-200's, I'd be afraid for that to be the only thing the strap was attached to... Especially if you're going to have it slung over your shoulder, where you may not notice the collar loosening up.

Noted Josh, thanks, I'll look out for it loosening!! Seems pretty solid at the moment and it's recommended technique from a few other fotoggers, including some pros!

Mike.

When i'm shooting with my 300mmF2.8L which is a lot heavier than uthe 100-400 it is on a monopod over my shoulder i can go all day like this or i have a strap on the 300 but i dont think the 100-400 has lugs for a strap

Yep, i'm with Gary on this one. I've covered golf tourneys with the 300 on a monopod slung over the shoulder with no probs. Pick up a photo vest to keep all the other stuff in and you're good to go for hours.

My heaviest lens is the Sigma 50-500mm and I use the Blackrapid RS-7 strap. I've walked around with the lens + D7000 for 8 hours with no problem. My suggestion is just purchase a quality strap (even tho it will run you $60+) its worth it to avoid the strain on your arms and back. And you've already spent multi thousand in your lens whats a $100 right?

blackrapid-rs-7-l.jpg

RS-7 R-Strap » BlackRapid.com

I hear what you say penfolderoldo (what?) A golf 'tourney' is not quite the same as a London, full of tourists or a coastal port in high season. I've got a monopod but I'd think twice about having it slung over my shoulder in those circumstances, with my 5D so exposed. Also, my photography won't be anywhere near as demanding as yours, covering a pro event. I can sit somewhere and relax, any time I want! Re the 'vest', can they really accomodate other lenses, hoods, kitchen sink etc? I recently bought a Lowepro backpack that will! and a tripod.

Mike.

Hi gsgary, no, it doesn't have strap lugs, but the Black Rapid has a threaded connector to screw into the 400's tripod mount collar, which is why I said I'll replace it!:sexywink:

Mike.

You shouldn't need another strap the 100-400 can be handheld allday it's a bit of a girl's lens :sexywink::lmao:

To be honest gsgary, I don't give a X@*$ about how big a lens you can hold out a arms length all day, I'm just interested in photography.

To be honest gsgary, I don't give a X@*$ about how big a lens you can hold out a arms length all day, I'm just interested in photography.

Ooh get you 100-400 is not a great lens for shooting around London, i would be using my 24-70

Most reactions

Back