Carrying a big telephoto.

Doesn't that depend upon what you want to shoot? I usually have a 25-104 with me and I'm also exploring what other lenses can, do! Early days for me, yet but I find the 100-400 to be very versatile.

When i'm shooting with my 300mmF2.8L which is a lot heavier than uthe 100-400 it is on a monopod over my shoulder i can go all day like this or i have a strap on the 300 but i dont think the 100-400 has lugs for a strap

Yep, i'm with Gary on this one. I've covered golf tourneys with the 300 on a monopod slung over the shoulder with no probs. Pick up a photo vest to keep all the other stuff in and you're good to go for hours.

I'll third this one. I've got a 500mm f/4, and I'll put it on the mono and set up on my shoulder while walking around. Think of carrying a 2"x4" centered a bit to the rear, and throw the arm over for counter balance.... never any problems.

I do appreciate what guys are saying and respect your experience but that's not a technique I'll use in relatively crowded places. In fact, my shoots have been low key with plenty of time to change lenses. I have, up until now, managed with the neck strap and supporting the 400 by hand for the periods of time I've been using it. The change is to accomodate anticipated longer sessions as I take the art more seriously.

Personally I use a battery grip on the camera body with a proper wriststrap attached to it (Canon E1). That lets me hand the camera down in my left arm and relax the fingers a bit against the strap, it won't take all the weight and its only there as a support, not a full holder, but I find it works well.

I do that with a 70-200mm f2.8 +2*TC which is pretty much as heavy (and I think it might even be heavier) than the 100-400mm and I've never had any problem with the lens hanging off the camera body whilst moving around (400D and 7D).

Black Rapid straps are perfect for this. Attach the screw to your tripod mount, and let the body just hang there. It is extremely comfortable with my 70-200.

--
Sent from my Droid Bionic.

What sort of shots are you taking ?

Completely variable...could be a long shot down Whitehall with Big Ben rising between buildings as a backdrop or a group of tourist in traditional dress. (I've got several shots of a group of Japanese in trad dress) Could be some detail on a building...it's whatever takes my eye.

I hear what you say penfolderoldo (what?) A golf 'tourney' is not quite the same as a London, full of tourists or a coastal port in high season. I've got a monopod but I'd think twice about having it slung over my shoulder in those circumstances, with my 5D so exposed. Also, my photography won't be anywhere near as demanding as yours, covering a pro event. I can sit somewhere and relax, any time I want! Re the 'vest', can they really accomodate other lenses, hoods, kitchen sink etc? I recently bought a Lowepro backpack that will! and a tripod.

Mike.

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from Mike. With bigger lenses there's always a trade off between focal length and weight. I've also done various news jobs in big crowded cities, tho have to say i've never needed to carry a big tele just on 'walkaround' - biggest i'd use on that kind of street stuff would be my 70-200. As regards vests, my domke holds 2 additional lenses, 2 strobes, a ton of other stuff, and could certainly hold more.

As for the username, its a long story mate...

Dave

I'm guessing that your shoots have objectives? eg, you know what you'll be shooting and you're after specific shots and you know the circumstances in which they'll take place, so you know what lens(s) you'll be using.
Whether I'm conforming to standard photographers practice or not, I don't know and don't really mind. I like the telephoto's ability to get up real close from a distance or pull back to 200 and capture a reasonable wide image. The 400 does this beautifully, for me anyway. I can take a portrait from twenty metres or a landscape, back at 200. I'm also interested in aviation and the 400 is excellent for that. I've also got a 24-105 and at the moment, the only other lens I'd like is probably a wide angle.

Mike.

PS I know it's another thread but had to mention it. Just read the Light Field Camera thread (Lytro) http://www.lytro.com Anyone wanna buy my Canon now? (kidding)

Last edited:
I'm guessing that your shoots have objectives? eg, you know what you'll be shooting and you're after specific shots and you know the circumstances in which they'll take place, so you know what lens(s) you'll be using.
Whether I'm conforming to standard photographers practice or not, I don't know and don't really mind. I like the telephoto's ability to get up real close from a distance or pull back to 200 and capture a reasonable wide image. The 400 does this beautifully, for me anyway. I can take a portrait from twenty metres or a landscape, back at 200. I'm also interested in aviation and the 400 is excellent for that. I've also got a 24-105 and at the moment, the only other lens I'd like is probably a wide angle.

Mike.

PS I know it's another thread but had to mention it. Just read the Light Field Camera thread (Lytro) Light Field camera | Lytro Anyone wanna buy my Canon now? (kidding)

Wasn't criticising Mike - what works best for you as a photographer is what works for you - photographic 'conventions/practices' are often best avoided in my opinion!

I wasn't inferring any criticism, pen.......just telling it like it is. I've learnt that two things matter above all else in photography...a good lens and a good eye! Cameras now do most of it on their own, least I don't often have the 5D off 'auto'. Maybe use AP with f11 on the 400, supposedly to improve the DOF? I also use a Polarising Filter to enhance skys in landscape images?

See my link to Lytro on the previous post? Maybe you have already seen this development? Going to ruffle a few photographic feathers when they iron out it's shortfalls!

Mike.

Last edited:
What I do, is to use a long strap and then tuck the tripod mount (on the lens collar) into my hip pocket. It takes just enough of the weight off of the camera/strap.

I use a couple OP/Tech-Pro straps. They have clips on either side of the padded part of the strap. So what I usually do, is to unclip the padded part and clip the ends together, making a wrist strap on the camera. When I need to carry a second body (or on a hike with one body) with my 70-200mm, I add the extra padded strap to the strap on the other camera, making it long enough to be worn across my chest (not just over one shoulder or around my neck). This way, it's nice and secure, but comfortable, and as mentioned, I tuck the mount into a side/hip pocket to take the weight of the lens.

*edit*
I just browsed OP/Tech's web site and saw this. Looks silly to me. http://optechusa.com/lens-support-adaptor.html

Not to thread-jack but since you brought up the Lytro thing - I'm not a fan of that at all. To each his own, of course, but technology doesn't necessarily make everything better. In fact, it often tends to make people lazier. I know this is probably a much over used comparison, but Ansel Adams took some of the most beautiful photos ever recorded and the only computer he used was the analog one inside his noggin. I'm not saying I don't shoot digital or use the camera's built-in light meter but I don't have the financial freedom to develop the film I would shoot if I used film cameras. At any rate, if that's your cup of tea then I hope it's a good camera if you get one.

As far as lens support goes - my biggest lens is a 300mm f/4 with a 1.4 TC on it so I'm not lugging around quite what you do but I, like others have already said, tend to just leave it on my monopod. I'm also typically not in a crowded area as you said you would be so I think the strap was the way to go. Good luck with it!

My mention of the Light Field technology wasn't predicated by my like of the system, it's very early days yet to come to any conclusion. What I was trying to highlight is that this has all the promise of turning the photographic industry on it's head! If developed, and it already has big money behind it, it will re-invent photography, enabling anybody to produce top quality images, with just the press of a button. What it won't and cannot do is replace the 'photographers eye', that human ingredient that differentiates the brilliant from the average captured image. The amazing ability of the Light Field sensor may well overwhelm our existing preoccupation with image construction in 2D and move us on as photography evolves.

Mike.

Never underestimate the forward march of technology... We went from hot air balloons to having a man on the moon in 66 years...

Every once in a while, big changes happen very fast... This 'Light Field' stuff is very interesting, and there's no telling what it may bring about...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back