Carrying a big telephoto.

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by tecmic, Sep 18, 2011.

1. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    You shouldn't need another strap the 100-400 can be handheld allday it's a bit of a girl's lens :sexywink::lmao:

2. tecmic

tecmic TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    To be honest gsgary, I don't give a X@*$ about how big a lens you can hold out a arms length all day, I'm just interested in photography.

3. gsgary

Photos OK to edit
    Ooh get you 100-400 is not a great lens for shooting around London, i would be using my 24-70

4. tecmic

tecmic TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Doesn't that depend upon what you want to shoot? I usually have a 25-104 with me and I'm also exploring what other lenses can, do! Early days for me, yet but I find the 100-400 to be very versatile.

5. Phranquey

Phranquey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'll third this one. I've got a 500mm f/4, and I'll put it on the mono and set up on my shoulder while walking around. Think of carrying a 2"x4" centered a bit to the rear, and throw the arm over for counter balance.... never any problems.

6. tecmic

tecmic TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I do appreciate what guys are saying and respect your experience but that's not a technique I'll use in relatively crowded places. In fact, my shoots have been low key with plenty of time to change lenses. I have, up until now, managed with the neck strap and supporting the 400 by hand for the periods of time I've been using it. The change is to accomodate anticipated longer sessions as I take the art more seriously.

7. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Personally I use a battery grip on the camera body with a proper wriststrap attached to it (Canon E1). That lets me hand the camera down in my left arm and relax the fingers a bit against the strap, it won't take all the weight and its only there as a support, not a full holder, but I find it works well.

I do that with a 70-200mm f2.8 +2*TC which is pretty much as heavy (and I think it might even be heavier) than the 100-400mm and I've never had any problem with the lens hanging off the camera body whilst moving around (400D and 7D).

8. gsgary

Photos OK to edit
    What sort of shots are you taking ?

9. TheBiles

TheBiles TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Black Rapid straps are perfect for this. Attach the screw to your tripod mount, and let the body just hang there. It is extremely comfortable with my 70-200.

--
    Sent from my Droid Bionic.

10. tecmic

tecmic TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Completely variable...could be a long shot down Whitehall with Big Ben rising between buildings as a backdrop or a group of tourist in traditional dress. (I've got several shots of a group of Japanese in trad dress) Could be some detail on a building...it's whatever takes my eye.

11. penfolderoldo

penfolderoldo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, I understand where you're coming from Mike. With bigger lenses there's always a trade off between focal length and weight. I've also done various news jobs in big crowded cities, tho have to say i've never needed to carry a big tele just on 'walkaround' - biggest i'd use on that kind of street stuff would be my 70-200. As regards vests, my domke holds 2 additional lenses, 2 strobes, a ton of other stuff, and could certainly hold more.

As for the username, its a long story mate...

Dave

12. tecmic

tecmic TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I'm guessing that your shoots have objectives? eg, you know what you'll be shooting and you're after specific shots and you know the circumstances in which they'll take place, so you know what lens(s) you'll be using.
    Whether I'm conforming to standard photographers practice or not, I don't know and don't really mind. I like the telephoto's ability to get up real close from a distance or pull back to 200 and capture a reasonable wide image. The 400 does this beautifully, for me anyway. I can take a portrait from twenty metres or a landscape, back at 200. I'm also interested in aviation and the 400 is excellent for that. I've also got a 24-105 and at the moment, the only other lens I'd like is probably a wide angle.

Mike.

PS I know it's another thread but had to mention it. Just read the Light Field Camera thread (Lytro) http://www.lytro.com Anyone wanna buy my Canon now? (kidding)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011