Carrying a big telephoto.

What I do, is to use a long strap and then tuck the tripod mount (on the lens collar) into my hip pocket. It takes just enough of the weight off of the camera/strap.

I use a couple OP/Tech-Pro straps. They have clips on either side of the padded part of the strap. So what I usually do, is to unclip the padded part and clip the ends together, making a wrist strap on the camera. When I need to carry a second body (or on a hike with one body) with my 70-200mm, I add the extra padded strap to the strap on the other camera, making it long enough to be worn across my chest (not just over one shoulder or around my neck). This way, it's nice and secure, but comfortable, and as mentioned, I tuck the mount into a side/hip pocket to take the weight of the lens.

*edit*
I just browsed OP/Tech's web site and saw this. Looks silly to me. OP/TECH USA Lens Support Adaptor System Connector

Re lens strap...I agree. In any case, I've dropped that additional lens strap idea.

Mike.

I wasn't inferring any criticism, pen.......just telling it like it is. I've learnt that two things matter above all else in photography...a good lens and a good eye! Cameras now do most of it on their own, least I don't often have the 5D off 'auto'. Maybe use AP with f11 on the 400, supposedly to improve the DOF? I also use a Polarising Filter to enhance skys in landscape images?

See my link to Lytro on the previous post? Maybe you have already seen this development? Going to ruffle a few photographic feathers when they iron out it's shortfalls!

Mike.

Mike, you asked the guys on here for suggestions in how to carry a large tele lens - that's what we've done, what you do with that info is of course, as always, up to the OP. No-one's told you what you should do, merely what we do and works for us. You may well be 'telling it like it is' - for YOU, for ME it's different, for the others it's different again, that's what makes photography so interesting...

Regarding the lytro thing - 'next generation' possibly, and it's appeared on here more than once before. Personally, it's not going to change the way I do things, or make me ditch my current gear. The way it captures the 'lightfield' might produce 'revolutionary' images, but the human eye won't be able to see them! It's like IR photography - what we see in the image isn't IR, as that's invisible to us, it's an interpretation of IR put down in such a way as we can see it (tho I do love it, it produces some truly stunning images).

I wasn't inferring any criticism, pen.......just telling it like it is. I've learnt that two things matter above all else in photography...a good lens and a good eye! Cameras now do most of it on their own, least I don't often have the 5D off 'auto'. Maybe use AP with f11 on the 400, supposedly to improve the DOF? I also use a Polarising Filter to enhance skys in landscape images?

See my link to Lytro on the previous post? Maybe you have already seen this development? Going to ruffle a few photographic feathers when they iron out it's shortfalls!

Mike.

Mike, you asked the guys on here for suggestions in how to carry a large tele lens - that's what we've done, what you do with that info is of course, as always, up to the OP. No-one's told you what you should do, merely what we do and works for us. You may well be 'telling it like it is' - for YOU, for ME it's different, for the others it's different again, that's what makes photography so interesting...

Regarding the lytro thing - 'next generation' possibly, and it's appeared on here more than once before. Personally, it's not going to change the way I do things, or make me ditch my current gear. The way it captures the 'lightfield' might produce 'revolutionary' images, but the human eye won't be able to see them! It's like IR photography - what we see in the image isn't IR, as that's invisible to us, it's an interpretation of IR put down in such a way as we can see it (tho I do love it, it produces some truly stunning images).

Ok pen.... let you know how I get on with the Black Rapid strap.

Re Lytro... absolutely! It's far too early to make any decisions about existing versus new technology, but it's going to be an interesting time though!

Mike.

Ok...the Black rapid strap has just arrived and I already like it a lot. The 5D/400 hangs at about waist high and inverted, with the lens facing to the rear and resting on my right hip. This is an orientation that allows me to easily grab the camera with the right hands for a quick shot. It's also convenient for steadying the lens with my right hand during vigorous body movements...climbing steps, stepping over streams/rocks etc. boarding a bus and so on.

I'll put a couple of pics up...IF I can get them off my iPhone!!!!!

Ok, here we are...http://www.calnemac.com/IMG_0251.JPG and http://www.calnemac.com/IMG_0252.JPG

Mike.

Last edited:
Hi, I was looking for advice on how best to carry a large lens about on a long shoot. My search brought me here but the posts I got were dated 2008! I suspect things might have changed since! Guys were mostly saying they used shoulder straps and let the lens hang off the camera body. I'm not a great fan of that idea as, with a big telephoto...say a 100 - 400 zoom, it puts a big strain on the camera mount over time, especially in the lighter camera bodies and can even damage them.

I've found a strap system which looks like it deals with that problem. Take a look...Just Ltd - DeluxGear™ Lens Cradle

Admittedly, I haven't tried it yet...I'm going to look at it tomorrow but I like the idea. Anyone else got any input?

Mike.
Kind of looks like something you would put on a Canon camera, or a chic in high heels:):):):)

It would look better on a Nikon..............LOL

I usually carry a big lens on my monopod, slung over my shoulder...it works pretty well for me. There is another option though for "walkabout" type use, which is the manufacturer's ballistic nylon case with the ultra-wide, padded shoulder strap. The Nikon kind I have for my 200/2 and 300/2.8 are roomy enough to store the lens WITH a smaller, half-height Nikon body mounted to the lens, and the top of the case buckled closed. This makes it pretty easy to open the lid, and lift out the lens with a camera already attached. This is the way I will go if I know I am NOT going to be using the 300/2.8 very often, and will be relying on a 70-200 most of the time, yet still will need the 300 for a portion of the day.

Ok...the Black rapid strap has just arrived and I already like it a lot. The 5D/400 hangs at about waist high and inverted, with the lens facing to the rear and resting on my right hip. This is an orientation that allows me to easily grab the camera with the right hands for a quick shot. It's also convenient for steadying the lens with my right hand during vigorous body movements...climbing steps, stepping over streams/rocks etc. boarding a bus and so on.

I'll put a couple of pics up...IF I can get them off my iPhone!!!!!

Ok, here we are...http://www.calnemac.com/IMG_0251.JPG and http://www.calnemac.com/IMG_0252.JPG

Mike.

Well certainly looks more comfy than hanging round your neck that's for sure! I also sometimes use a spider holster which took a fair bit of getting used to, but now I hardly notice it.

Just took the BR7/camera out for a field test. Went to Lacock, a National Trust Elizabethan working village. (It's where Fox Talbot took the first photographic image...the Lacock Abbey window.) See pics:-

http://www.calnemac.com/ftwindow.jpg

http://www.calnemac.com/Lacock122Aug11.jpg

Strap worked fine...I'll keep it. As it was a BR7/camera test I didn't take another lens! It reminded me of the need for a short lens and maybe even a wide angle! Better still...a short lens on a second camera but that's wishful thinking.:grumpy:

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back