carrying camera around town/city...

I was just wondering, how do you guys feel about carrying your camera around your neck while walking around a city or town?

My camera of choice hangs at my side via a home made "Y" strap in a side holster (attached to my belt.. a modified P&S case) that keeps it from swinging uncontrollably as I move. 1-2 very small neoprene pouches on my belt. The whole thing is hidden underneath my jacket. I could pretty much walk anywhere and most people won't notice I have a camera... let alone camera + 3 lenses.

I had the same "feelings' and concerns as you and decided that a professional DSLR just didn't fit the bill. This is the primary reason for me dumping some of my Canon DSLR/SLR for a smaller more compact rangefinder.

A few of my friends (also DSLR owners) have opted towards high end P&S cameras (mostly the G9) for such trips. Here in the TPF (and other forums) P&S get a bad rap. Unfortunately, people don't realize that a P&S camera can be a valuable tool as well .. especially for times when you are shooting on the street.

NOTE: the "Y" strap I am referring to is basically the same as this:

http://figitalrevolution.com/y-strap/

I just made my own and didn't know what else to call it.

I was in Philadelphia the other day at Temple Dental School's graduation and all I did was throw two cameras into a small camera bag that could be conceived as a carry around bag and just kept it around the opposite side of my neck. I also had a extra grip on it just in case.

For my SLR i have it around my neck but also with an arm through the strap as well, so that it hangs to my side rather straight in front.. it hides it better and it doesn't swing about like crazy. Sometimes i do the whole wrap the strap around my hand which holds the camera firmly in my hand and is quicker/easier to operate.

As for not looking like a tourist, well, i think you just need to blend in and take pics.

Another idea is (if its semi-cold) wear a hoody :) That'll make you blend in. Something big and gray. Fluffy-ness is a bonus to! And wear jeans, that makes it blend in very nice...

If you are showing expensive gear in an inner city or poorer neighborhood, It is a good idea to have a self defense weapon handy to protect your gear and your photos. Also, try to blend in. Look like a broke backpacker or something.

Yeah, mine is pretty much around my neck all the time. To hell with what people think, lol.

I wrap the strap around my hand three times because as I'm walking around with the camera around my neck the buttons on the back keep getting pressed.

I wear mine over my right shoulder across my body like a rifle. I hangs on my side and it come up easily for a shot. That is when Im in town, otherwise it is on my neck or, I have it secured to my pack via D-ring when Im climbing around. I dont worry about what people think or theives much, they never bother me. And even if they do I know how to take care of them.

Don't hang your camera around your neck unless you are hanging over the side of a bridge.....You look like a dork. Put it over your shoulder and hang it to your side.

Don't hang your camera around your neck unless you are hanging over the side of a bridge.....You look like a dork. Put it over your shoulder and hang it to your side.

I don't care if I look like a dork. I realized that trying to impress others was stupid when I was 16.

I don't care if I look like a dork. I realized that trying to impress others was stupid when I was 16.

Over your shoulder is much more comfortable. It's also easier to shoot from the hip so to speak, It's right there next to your hand.

I only put my camera around my neck when I am dangling off the mainstreet bridge for a shot, any other time it's at my side.

But any who....

If you are showing expensive gear in an inner city or poorer neighborhood, It is a good idea to have a self defense weapon handy to protect your gear and your photos.

I Do, it's a big 1Kg weight I keep in my right hand at all times, and the knowledge that it's insured if I need to use it. :wink:

As others here have said, whenever I'm out n about, I have the camera in my right hand, ready to shoot, and strap double wrapped around my wrist so it's damn near impossible to snatch away from me. I Find it much more comfortable than hanging around my neck.

[...] a small camera bag that could be conceived as a carry around bag and just kept it around the opposite side of my neck. [...]

What? The "opposite side of your neck"? You carry it around your ankles?

LOL! :lol::lol::lol:

haha, the opposite side of my neck, what would that be? Maybe the strap around the left side of the neck, while the camera is on the right? did sound funny though

Yeah, what darkpbstar said :p

Thats what I meant, I probably should've added so the camera bag was on the opposite side of the strap :p

Most reactions

Back