carrying camera around town/city...

I was just wondering, how do you guys feel about carrying your camera around your neck while walking around a city or town? I was in Lake Geneva today, (WI) and didn't want to look like a tourist, but I wanted to take photos of the buildings and the street, ect ect. How do you guys go about doing this, keep the camera in a back pack, and take it out as wanted, or just leave it out and "to hell what other people think" type of attitude? I'm sorry if this sounds dumb, just want some other opinions. thanks alot
I walk around with my bag often. I have a camera bag though. I used the Crumpler 7 million dollar home. Very convenient to reach in, snap off a shot and throw it back in the back. Great padding too.

The tourists who give us the most giggles are the ones who think they're blending in.

I stroll around Oaxaca every day and my camera is always around my neck unless it starts raining hard. You never no when a photo will present itself.

I quit worrying about how I looked to others when I passed puberty.

Well i live right in a city and carry over my shoulder all the time. You can't shoot with the camera in the bag. And as for looking like an idiot. You look more like an idiot if you worry about looking like an idiot. I even got asked if was a photographer yesterday. (yes i felt warm and fuzy)

I tend to not worry so much about what others think, however, I do know that if I'm going into some areas I opt for manual settings on a point and shoot. I can get okay results - not perfect or ideal, but okay - and I worry a lot less about it.

I don't give a crap what others think, but I usually carry it over my shoulder if I am shooting a lot, slung across my shoulder and neck if I am walking and not taking pics and around my neck if I am shooting down over water or something so I don't drop it.

As far as looking touristy, I don't really give a crap, but typically when people see big telephoto lenses and tripods, they think photographer. I am asked all the time if I am a photographer, not where I am from :)

2) carry your equipment in a used local supermarket bag instead of in an easily recognizable camera bag,
This seems to be a little extreme and impractical. What I do is I have a small LowePro shoulder bag which I keep inside my rucksack (a bag within a bag), which contains my telephoto lens, cloth, filters etc, and also my camera (when not in use). When I need to access equipment I just dive into the LowePro. I do agree though that those that walk around with the huge LowPro rucksacks instantly scream "DSLR!" just at a glance... I would probably use one of those if on a hiking trip or somewhere rural, out of town.

Put it over your shoulder and hang it to your side.

I have seen people doing this but thought against it because a) It would be very easy for a thief to rip it off your shoulder and run away with it, b) it is not secured in any way and must constantly slip off, it could drop to the floor, c) it is not "ready for action" in the same way that a camera around one's neck is (which can just be lifted to look through the viewfinder and shot from, as opposed to having to take it off your shoulder and then frame the shot).

I personally walk around with my camera around my neck pretty much at all times... never miss a shot that way, it's always handy. I don't care what random members of the public who I don't know/never will know think of me. I am a photographer, that is my hobby, and having a camera is part of that hobby. I wouldn't even care if a friend saw me with a camera or someone I know - they know it's my hobby. I may look touristy in my own city center (haha) but it makes no difference to me.

Common sense rules. If you are walking with a camera around your neck in an area with higher crime potential... you are asking for it. It won't matter how you carry it.

I just happen to be lucky enough to live in Montreal where I feel comfortable enough to be able to walk around with the camera after dark in about 80% of the city. The other 20% I am not going to be stupid enough to go into with or without a camera after dark.

As far as what others think, I could not care less... I am a big boy and thinking like a 10 year old and having that as a concern is long over and done with many moons ago. ;)

Yeah, what darkpbstar said :p

Thats what I meant, I probably should've added so the camera bag was on the opposite side of the strap :p

Honestly, I still don't understand. I'm probably thick. That's what my ex told me for years too. She was right: I should've dumped her 12 years earlier.
Anyway, laser, could you maybe post a picture? A picture paints 1,000 words.

I avoid the whole tourist look by simply not wearing a Hawaiian shirt

I could be wrong, but I never saw people with SLR's as tourists. I have always seen them as photographers... I think people with point and shoots look more like tourists, but I could be wrong. As far as carrying my stuff around, I don't mind, I just don't flaunt it and don't bring it out in high crime areas. I have a lowpro backpack that only opens from the backside so I don't worry about someone stealing my camera out of it when its on my back.

I agree Sirashley the P&Ses look more touristy. Gone are the days when tourists carried good old fashioned range finders and, brownies.

I just carry my camera over my shoulder. I really do not worry about theft if it is with me. Other than the national parks and DC if i am in VA I also hae a 45 Kimber on my right hip too. Now when I am a little lighter or go into DC a folding knife and being 6 foot 2 and a bit over 300 pounds will make people think twice. Then again the one time I was approached in the city I asked the guy if I could take his picture first. He said why and I said so I can show your mama what you looked liked before you died..... He laughed but left. It is an issue more when you are in a hotel and leave stuff behine. I have decided not to leave anything behind and I usually travel in an RV now too. THis means I have my stuff with me all the time.

My camera of choice hangs at my side via a home made "Y" strap in a side holster (attached to my belt.. a modified P&S case) that keeps it from swinging uncontrollably as I move. 1-2 very small neoprene pouches on my belt. The whole thing is hidden underneath my jacket. I could pretty much walk anywhere and most people won't notice I have a camera... let alone camera + 3 lenses.

NOTE: the "Y" strap I am referring to is basically the same as this:

http://figitalrevolution.com/y-strap/

I just made my own and didn't know what else to call it.
Wow, what a great and simple idea there. The Y-Strap, and only $30. You could do something yourself on this design for mere peanuts.

If I am walking around with my camera, I often put it over my shoulder like what is shown in the video in usait's post. The problem with that is, it isn't easy to bring up when you want to use it as the strap will rub, scrape, and chaff across your neck to bring the camera up. That video gives a great solution to that problem.

Alfred D said:
Honestly, I still don't understand.
Watch the video that usait posted and I quoted above. The way that guy has the strap around his head and shoulder is what lazershot is talking about.

comments on P&S touristy looking folks....
It's not the P&S users that look like tourists. It's the people who hold the camera out at arms length and using flash to take a picture of the sunset that looks "touristy" :D.

Stick the camera up to your eye when you shoot and you no longer look "touristy":headbang:

It's not the P&S users that look like tourists. It's the people who hold the camera out at arms length and using flash to take a picture of the sunset that looks "touristy" :D.

Stick the camera up to your eye when you shoot and you no longer look "touristy":headbang:

In relation to the P&S croud, There is one flaw in this theroy. Traditional view finders are growing scarce, and with those that do have them, Accuracy is a bit of a luxory.

So....if you can't put it directly to your eye....atleast bend your elbows

Too much of a hassle to get it in and out of a backpack. I usually sling a few around the shoulders and one or two around the neck. Or sometimes, I have a friend come along and play assistant. That's much easier.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back