Carrying compact camera for everyday life practice

TonyMontanaSlot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
DSLRs are just too big and heavy for everyday life use. Do you think carrying cheap compact camera in your pocket on your busy days is a good idea to practice your skills? I think it's better than nothing, and i've missed so much opportunities to take some interesting shots during my everyday work life. Sure, some mobile phone cameras is fine to capture the basic image but the majority of them is so slow and has no auto focus at all (i don't even speak about manual lol).
If you think it is a good idea, what are the cheapest and the most compact decent cameras would you recommend?

I'll recomend the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H70, It's a small and light camera and it makes very sharp photo's.
It has a 16.1mp camera which is great if you want to enlarge your photos.

I think you should look at the Fuji f600EXR it`s 16mp with a 15x zoom and it can take RAW photo`s, it`s cheap at the moments as it`s a older range camera.

John.

P&S cameras compared to DLSRs are great for carrying with you everyday and everywhere, that's obvious. For me, a cheap P&S is something that I only use when I don't care much if I lost it or if I drop it. Like taking it on a canoe, going clubbing or something like that.

For everyday shooting, since we're reading this forum, there is some interest in having a little control over even a P&S. For this reason, I would spend slightly more on a P&S that atleast have a manual mode (and A and S modes). If budget is tight, I would look for a used Canon S90/95.

I think if you are just looking for handy snaps, like Centropolis said, then go with the p&s.

As far as learning and growing with one, they can help you with some composition - what's in the frame and what's not. But to be really effective at developing your skills, definitely make sure you get one where you can go to Av, Tv, or manual modes. There is just too much to control in photography not to have control over those aspects if you want to develop.

I think it is really tough to make a blanket statement, though, as to what works for carrying. I'm taking my dslr, tripod, and everything with me to work today. I'm taking a bus to Denver and have a day and a half layover to burn, so it works to carry it. In real estate, most carry a p&s and it suffices just fine (slr would be doable and better if they knew how to use them). When I was framing, not even a p&s would be practical - needed the pouches in my tool belt for nails and tools.

Exactly how much do you want to do and what is practical for you personally to carry?

P&S cameras compared to DLSRs are great for carrying with you everyday and everywhere, that's obvious. For me, a cheap P&S is something that I only use when I don't care much if I lost it or if I drop it. Like taking it on a canoe, going clubbing or something like that.

For everyday shooting, since we're reading this forum, there is some interest in having a little control over even a P&S. For this reason, I would spend slightly more on a P&S that atleast have a manual mode (and A and S modes). If budget is tight, I would look for a used Canon S90/95.
Yeah S90 seems like a great camera, especially manual focus ring and shutter speed control. But they are discounted and it's hard to find used one in my area. What do you think about Sony WX50? Seems like fewer manual controls but it has manual focus too, more compact and sensor is better. But can't take RAW.
I think if you are just looking for handy snaps, like Centropolis said, then go with the p&s.

As far as learning and growing with one, they can help you with some composition - what's in the frame and what's not. But to be really effective at developing your skills, definitely make sure you get one where you can go to Av, Tv, or manual modes. There is just too much to control in photography not to have control over those aspects if you want to develop.

I think it is really tough to make a blanket statement, though, as to what works for carrying. I'm taking my dslr, tripod, and everything with me to work today. I'm taking a bus to Denver and have a day and a half layover to burn, so it works to carry it. In real estate, most carry a p&s and it suffices just fine (slr would be doable and better if they knew how to use them). When I was framing, not even a p&s would be practical - needed the pouches in my tool belt for nails and tools.

Exactly how much do you want to do and what is practical for you personally to carry?
I don't want to spend any more than $200 on the compact camera right now. So my choice is pretty limited. I want really small and thin camera with plenty of manual controls (manual focus is the must).

Last edited:
I usually have this with me..

XA by bhop, on Flickr

even when I don't, my phone's camera is pretty good in decent lighting.

Canon's "G" series cameras were basically designed as 2nd cameras for photographers who had DSLR bodies but wanted a camera to take to places where DSLRs are either impractical or not allowed.

What I particularly like about them is

(1) They actually have a hot-shoe for external flash

(2) They actually have a front and rear dial and you can put them into manual exposure mode and the dials actually work the way you'd expect them to work (front adjusts shutter, back adjusts aperture -- although you change that if you want.)

(3) The lens is NOT removable (some places restrict you from bring a camera with a "removable" lens -- so this gets me past security with what's actually a pretty good camera.)

They're Canon's top-end "Advanced" point & shoot -- so they tend to have good performance. I have a G1 X. It's "niche" in the G series is that it has the largest sensor. It's 80% of the size of an APS-C sensor -- which is gigantic for a point & shoot (it's the only G series body with a large sensor.)

I usually have this with me.
Lol, that's pretty oldschool. But that's not digital so it's not convenient for me.:meh:

Canon's "G" series cameras
Good camera but too thick/expensive. You can't really carry this one in your pocket.
As I can't find used Canon s90 seems like the only legitimate choice is Sony WX50

UPDATE: I'm lucky. Some guy from Moscow is willing to sell me Canon S90 $200 with shipping in excellent condition.

Last edited:
I usually have this with me.
Lol, that's pretty oldschool. But that's not digital so it's not convenient for me.:meh:

Canon's "G" series cameras
Good camera but too thick/expensive. You can't really carry this one in your pocket.
As I can't find used Canon s90 seems like the only legitimate choice is Sony WX50

UPDATE: I'm lucky. Some guy from Moscow is willing to sell me Canon S90 $200 with shipping in excellent condition.

And old S90 should go less than $200 (assuming you're talking about USD). Either make an offer or go and find another one. For $200 you should be able to find a used S95. Canon is on S110 right now...after S90 95 100. So the S90 should go less than $200 IMO.

EDIT - Actually, now I see that he's shipping it too. Okay....well, it's not bad but it's not a deal of the century. :) But S90 is good.

I am in the market for a new point and shoot under $150, as well.
I don't take my DSLR flying with me, for theft and damage concerns, plus it's bulky. I always have my iPhone, but I often find the quality lacking on some shots.
Most work shots are just snaps, so I share them with my family. I am looking for wifi capability, like the iPhone, of an instant share

something like this. Samsung WB30F 16.2Megapixel Digital Camera Red ECWB30FZBPRUS - Best Buy

I am in the market for a new point and shoot under $150, as well.
I don't take my DSLR flying with me, for theft and damage concerns, plus it's bulky. I always have my iPhone, but I often find the quality lacking on some shots.
Most work shots are just snaps, so I share them with my family. I am looking for wifi capability, like the iPhone, of an instant share

something like this. Samsung WB30F 16.2Megapixel Digital Camera Red ECWB30FZBPRUS - Best Buy

I don't think you will find P&S with Wifi capability under $150 or even $200. I did my research on the same budget and found out that currently, there's two great P&S for our budget:
1)Sony WX50. More compact, 20 mm thick. Not much manual control over it. But it's really really great camera for the money and it's currently on sale for as much as $170 USD.
2)Canon S90. Less compact, 30 mm thick. Alot of manual controls, very impressive pro-like camera. It's pretty old, and I think has slightly worse sensor than that of WX50. You can find it used for about $170 just like new WX50. Overall it's better than WX50.

My brother-in-law has used Samsung point and shoots for years - and still loves them. Some of that built -in web functionality looks appealing for sure.

------------------------

Here is a real interesting camera that I just found that would really be the type of compact that I would want to take with me. As I mentioned previously - having a point and shoot that offers advantages over my DSLR (other than size and weight) - - - would really make it a better value so that it could be useful even when we have our dslr with us. The Fujifilm FinePix XP60 looks like a pretty useful little camera for around $175 US.

Here is a fun video that I found - using the FinePix XP60 in water and at the high frame rates:

Amazon has pretty good pricing. In fact if you can handle a RED one, it's listed at $162.31 & FREE Shipping
Amazon.com: Fujifilm FinePix XP60 16 MP Digital Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD (Red): Camera & Photo

Staples Canada has them listed for $169.44

JUST ANOTHER ONE TO THROW INTO THE MIX
icon_smile.gif

REVIEW : http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/fujifilm_finepix_xp60_review/

Hmm that's pretty good

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I think it's probably over budget, but as a DSLRs user I recently purchased a G15 and its awesome. My fiends pickit up from he table and shoot in auto, and its has full control if I need it. It fits in my pocket but I may be a bit overweight so it don't notice lol.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back