Cars (C&C Please!)

tevo

Recovering TPF Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Recently I put out a Facebook post calling those with nice cars to meet with me, so that I could photograph their cars for self promotion purposes; in return they would receive full sized photos of their babies, for free! I have zeroed in on automotive and sports as my primary areas of interest with photography, and I am seeking to monetize my work in these fields. Here are the best from the shoot, any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

The rest of the shots can be found on my flickr. Feel free to leave C&C on any I have not posted; I'm often indecisive with the "best" shots from a shoot. I would post them all but it would be far too many for C&C purposes.

Scionce by theofficialtevo, on Flickr

Patrick's Scion by theofficialtevo, on Flickr

Miata Speed by theofficialtevo, on Flickr

Shane's Miata by theofficialtevo, on Flickr

Thomas's Miata by theofficialtevo, on Flickr

Emerge by theofficialtevo, on Flickr

I'll try and give you my opinion.

#1: Don't really get the fence/wire. It's disturbing and take away focus from the car.
#2: Nice angle, it's sharp. But i don't like the vignette, it makes the photo seems dark and heavy. Next time you should be awere about the shadows on the car. Perhaps a fill flash in the front as well to lighten it up a bit.
#3: Like it, well exposed and in focus, maybe only a bit tighter crop.

#4: Feels like a snapshot(driver + passanger in the car etc). I would go down to a lower level and do a different composition. A little wider and straighten it. Perhaps choose a different background next time because the car and background have similar colors.
#5: Good shot, the only thing i would do is crop out a bit of the foreground and clone out the box(?) at the front
#6: This doesn't work for me, the photo is too dark.

#7: Nice! Good panning going on here.
#8: This one is the best of the set in my opinion. The focus is spot on as well as exposure. It has a great sense of movement.
#9: Almost the same as the above. The red really brings out the Vette.

But this is just my opinion, dont take it to harsh. Is it something you have questions about just ask me(because english isn't my mother tongue and therefore somethings gets lost in translation sometimes)

Don't like the fence either, or the OOF logo in #3. My general comment is that you need to do this in better light or control the lighting yourself; the shadows really kill some of these.

Thank you for your replies. I've had another person mention the shadow from the car, I'll definitely use a fill flash next time.

Don't like the fence either, or the OOF logo in #3. My general comment is that you need to do this in better light or control the lighting yourself; the shadows really kill some of these.

As it turns out, the fence shot was the client's favorite :lol:

Everyone has different tastes!

Anyways, do you have tips on controlling the light while shooting outside (besides fill flash on large shadows)?

pick the time when your shooting and know where the sun is going to be. pick locations based off of where the sun will be or not be. pick something more then a parking garage, thats the typical shot you see 1000 times with cars. go down a few levels and use your lights to light the car up and then you can control where the light is and where it is not.

pick the time when your shooting and know where the sun is going to be. pick locations based off of where the sun will be or not be. pick something more then a parking garage, thats the typical shot you see 1000 times with cars. go down a few levels and use your lights to light the car up and then you can control where the light is and where it is not.

Thanks for the tip. I've been trying to scout locations, the parking garage was just a convenient place for us all to meet. I will be using controlled lighting more in the future.

Nice pictures but if you want to picture real cars then you should shoot real cars like the one in my Avatar!!!

Nice pictures but if you want to picture real cars then you should shoot real cars like the one in my Avatar!!!

Haha I shoot classic car shows pretty frequently! I'll post some after the show this coming Saturday.

Number 5 was a good one. IMO I feel most of them are out of focus. If you take your time with these I think u got something going on. Good luck!

I really like #6! It's nice seeing a car shot that doesn't look like all the others!

-Ken Turner

I really like #6! It's nice seeing a car shot that doesn't look like all the others!

-Ken Turner

Thanks! It was a concept I had with that particular car so I played around with it.

You say nice cars but all I see are a Toyota and a Miata.... ;)

#5 is the strongest.

Number 5 was a good one. IMO I feel most of them are out of focus. If you take your time with these I think u got something going on. Good luck!

Thank you for your reply, I'm not sure why they look out of focus to you, they look fine to me. The Miata Speed is obviously out of focus in some regions but the rest are properly in focus as far as I can tell. Could you elaborate on what you mean?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back