Carshow

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, recently went a carshow and carried my cam with me. First time shooting with dlsr in the night at a carshow. It was a nightmare. It wasn't my first time taking photograph at a carshow but it was my first time taking shots with the knowledge gained from the forum. Composing was a nightmare. People always walking into my shots so i had to take photos quickly. Somehow after all of that, out of the bunch, i think i found some half decent shots.

All shots were taken handheld

3740218379_8c1443bf72_b.jpg

3740215733_b700b078ab_b.jpg

3741005474_6a1e27e56f_b.jpg

3740211245_3c2b31fb3a_b.jpg

3740206709_4dce8cb25a_b.jpg

3740996512_4c0bbec6a2_b.jpg

Added this for a little humor
3741000996_ca54ab4419_b.jpg

Please forgive the noise that is being seen. Shot at ISO 800. That is a "my bad" on my part.

C&C always welcomed

you've got quite alot of lens glare, none of the shots seem as though they are actually in focus, however 5,2 are interesting ideas just when u take car shots remember to keep low, also when u see an interesting car you could try and focus on one key part of the car ie the light, wheel, door, make it a bit more artistic if you know what i mean! but well done, keep it up.

That second car is amazing! Too bad it can't be driven legally on the street since the ground FX kit is too low!

you've got quite alot of lens glare, none of the shots seem as though they are actually in focus, however 5,2 are interesting ideas just when u take car shots remember to keep low, also when u see an interesting car you could try and focus on one key part of the car ie the light, wheel, door, make it a bit more artistic if you know what i mean! but well done, keep it up.

Thanks for the comment. The lense hood should help with the glare right? Only recently understood the purpose of the lense hood so it wasn't used for these shots.

That second car is amazing! Too bad it can't be driven legally on the street since the ground FX kit is too low!

Thanks. Actually it's a street legal car. He just can't drive it much without damaging it. lol. He actually drove it into the event.

From my knowledge it is going to be very hard to get any great shots during a show. If you can get the best car to move to an area with out people walking in the shot it is better. You have to find a quiet location at the show with a good back ground and such and ask them to drive the car over. Ask them if you can do a shoot! Most custom guys I know will love that you want to take the pics.

OR you can zoom in close and try to get a shot where the car is the back ground. I have been to many shows and it is very hard to get great shots!.

Here is something I tried this weekend at a small show I passed by!
DSC_0126.jpg

I think this is what someone above posted you should try!
I am not trying to steal your thread but give you ideas that I like!

From my knowledge it is going to be very hard to get any great shots during a show. If you can get the best car to move to an area with out people walking in the shot it is better. You have to find a quiet location at the show with a good back ground and such and ask them to drive the car over. Ask them if you can do a shoot! Most custom guys I know will love that you want to take the pics.

OR you can zoom in close and try to get a shot where the car is the back ground. I have been to many shows and it is very hard to get great shots!.

Here is something I tried this weekend at a small show I passed by!
DSC_0126.jpg

I think this is what someone above posted you should try!
I am not trying to steal your thread but give you ideas that I like!

Thanks for the tip. Yea i realise the image you provided was the suggestion of picking one part of the car to focus on. Thanks for the example

I think I like the motorcycle shot the best. The street light next to the bike's mirror seems to work for me. The foreground is a bit brighter than I would have made it, but what the hell do I know.

i like the effects on some of the shots but i agree theres some noise on the purple car and u cut the rear end off the celica. thats kind of a no no for whats its worth

I think I like the motorcycle shot the best. The street light next to the bike's mirror seems to work for me. The foreground is a bit brighter than I would have made it, but what the hell do I know.

Thanks for the comment. lol. All comments count.

i like the effects on some of the shots but i agree theres some noise on the purple car and u cut the rear end off the celica. thats kind of a no no for whats its worth

Thanks for the comment but the rear is there on the celica. lol. owell. The noise is realy apparent on the purple car. Thats a mistake on my part by having the iso so high.

As most here have said, with car shots its all about the closeups. Find ways to shoot the lines of the car, since, well, thats what makes most cars look visually pleasing to begin with. Getting close in on cars at a car show will be pretty much the only option with so many people around.

This one I shot at the drag races in Englishtown, NJ. There had to be at least 50 people down near the starting line. I was on the wall nearby, composed the photo with people walking through and then snapped it at the right time. Not saying its perfect, but it works.

PS1.jpg

This one is of my 'Vette in front of my house. Overall boring.

DSC_0029.jpg

But bring it in tight and you've got a whole different ballgame going on.

NewLip4-04172009.jpg

jonesbeach7-04052009.jpg

Hope this helps you out a bit.

~Tom

Last edited:
man I love the last one of the corvette... that is what I was talking about right there.

So now you have plenty of examples~!!!

Here is one more that I think is pretty good!
DSC_0208.jpg

So are you into shooting carshows are was this a one time thing cause you were there?????

Just a comment...I personally am not into cars, but I really love great artistic shots of cars and enjoy seeing them well printed. What I often see when looking at car shots is that the foreground and background often get overlooked, e.g., great shot of the car, but then the asphalt looks terrible. Or there are ppl. ruining the shot, oil marks, parking lot lines, etc. My final suggestions for those of you that love photography and cars is to ask the car owners for a private shoot in exchange for photos of their car. It could make all the difference.

have a good one
3Eo

Most reactions

New Topics

Back